Sign in to follow this  
NZT48

Israel Folau and freedom of communication

On 7/17/2019 at 8:12 PM, NZT48 said:

Why?

Because 'religious freedom' isn't about religious freedom - if it was, it'd involve respecting everyone's faith or lack of it equally, which means not inflicting a specific Christian prejudice on anyone who doesn't consent.

The religious freedom debate here, and in the US, is all about preserving, reviving, and extending aspects of Christian privilege. The lot of you can go and get fucked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the problem is that you create a two tier society, those who believe, and sinners

and those that believe that their god gives them rights that are then denied to non believers, and in many examples from the past, those nonbelievers have paid the price with their lives. and even recently by having their freedoms diminished

Gays have faced the death penalty, castrated or forced to endure 'medical' cures

people who follow other beliefs "witches" have been killed

left handed people were forced to use their right hands

owning slaves was also seen as a 'right'

Changes to these issues did not come about as a change of view from inside religious institutions, but rather than a secular view that ALL people share the same rights

Who is arguing Christians should have special legal rights for just them? I'm not and I'm pretty sure Israel Folau is not.

10 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Because 'religious freedom' isn't about religious freedom - if it was, it'd involve respecting everyone's faith or lack of it equally, which means not inflicting a specific Christian prejudice on anyone who doesn't consent.

The religious freedom debate here, and in the US, is all about preserving, reviving, and extending aspects of Christian privilege. The lot of you can go and get fucked.

So should a religion that says it's alright to murder be respected equally by law with Christianity? How does that work?

2 minutes ago, NZT48 said:

So should a religion that says it's alright to murder be respected equally by law with Christianity? How does that work?

It's against the law, just like vilifying people on the basis of their sexuality. That's how that works.

You guys can believe what you want, but keep it to yourselves. If one of you kooks has a megaphone like Folau, watch your damn mouth.

• Thanks 1

But you're not respecting this other religion.

36 minutes ago, NZT48 said:

Who is arguing Christians should have special legal rights for just them? I'm not and I'm pretty sure Israel Folau is not.

Your liberty to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.

I don't see why you have such difficulty with this concept.

Showing respect doesn't mean open season on my nose. Does it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

NZT48, you are picking and choosing wich of gods laws you want to obey

working on the sabbath is a sin

having a tattoo is a sin

wearing a cotton/wool blended suit is a sin

eating shellfish is a sin

bearing false witness is a sin

Edited by TheManFromPOST

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

wearing a cotton/wool blended suit is a sin

gosh ! is it ? would feel bloody good. ... I s'pose that's why, can't be feeling too good now can we ?

41 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

I wish talking shit was a sin

Why ? we all know you be evil already

Edited by eveln

So what is the "Christian privilege"? How is "everyone's faith or lack of it " not equally respected by law?

On 7/20/2019 at 9:05 PM, Kimmo said:

You guys can believe what you want, but keep it to yourselves. If one of you kooks has a megaphone like Folau, watch your damn mouth.

So we should be permitted to believe what we want but not talk about it? Do you call that liberty?

11 hours ago, NZT48 said:

So we should be permitted to believe what we want but not talk about it? Do you call that liberty?

Where's my liberty ? To be able to sleep in on my day off is a singular joy of mine, I rather cherish it in an almost holy fashion. And yet I had to be woken by a grand-dad type with half a dozen grand-kid aged young people knocking at my still curtained and closed door.

Surely if the grand-dad type cared as much for me as he would probably make out had I opened the door to him, he would have seen the closed curtain and surmised those within were either not in, or they were not arisen. Where is my liberty there ? In my own home even ?

In the one place still mostly mine / ours to rule as we'd prefer ?

The above happened on Saturday morning, and all I can say is that that man and those kids were lucky it is a long weekend for me (I still had two mornings for sleep-ins ), otherwise I would have given a round of abuse with the ' go away ' I gave them.

• Haha 1

On 21/07/2019 at 10:18 PM, NZT48 said:

So what is the "Christian privilege"? How is "everyone's faith or lack of it " not equally respected by law?

Whch liberty is that?  Being able to  hold your own private beliefs without discrimination, or being fired because your boss doesn't like them?

42 minutes ago, NZT48 said:

Legal freedom to communicate your beliefs.

They have that. But my visitation by dudes I didn't invite, seem to feel they could override my legal freedom to sleep in in my own home, with their freedom to communicate their spiel to me unasked for. Again, where's my frigging liberty ?!

I think I read earlier that this guy Folau was unsuccessful.