Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

Wasting water with environmental flows

Why you hating on desert biomes for?

🙂

You really are determined to ask stupid questions aren't  you ?

Cheers

If you think that's a stupid question, feel free to keep expressing your ignorance far and wide.

10 hours ago, chrisg said:

Every time bar one that I've been to Canberra it has been raining, I often think that it was a bizarre joke by someone unknown to put the capital in such a place.

It's partly because Sydney and Melbourne didn't want each other to be the national capital so they went with (IMO) the moronic decision to site it elsewhere.

It seems at Federation section 125 stipulated that the new national capital had to be in NSW but at least 160kms from Sydney.

According to Wikipedia the locations of  Bombala, southern Monaro, Orange, Yass, Albury, Tamworth, Armidale, Tumut and Dalgety where all discussed with Dalgety being chosen by the Feds but NSW objected and refused to cede the required ground as it was too far from Sydney, so the current site was then chosen. So even at Federation the state politicians where being arseholes.

Dalgety is still in the middle of sod all so not much change really.

Also came across this odd little quirk RE the ACT and Jervis Bay.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/curious-canberra/2017-02-13/why-does-canberra-have-a-beach-at-jervis-bay/8193752

Jervis Bay would have made rather a nice national capital IMO.

🙂

So wonderfully Australian that it completely restores my faith in why I live here  🙂

Thanks Ali, you brightened my day  🙂

Cheers

On 7/6/2019 at 8:44 PM, Nich... said:

Why you hating on desert biomes for?

No hate, but they aren't so productive. I believe that deserts have a tendency to expand and our interference has caused a lot of desertification. 

In any case, nature will take over no matter what we do. Once our species is extinct our impact will have been that we introduced some species to different areas and let nature run its course. Call me a cynic, but we'll all be dead in the end.

Do you know if the various land owners along a proposed channel route are all on-board?

Posted (edited)

https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/cash-splash/11289412

This kinda explains why money spent on environment flows isn't actually helping the rivers. Government paid farmers for water allocation, farmer spent the money ... on expanding farms using more water and building more dams.

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

This kinda explains why money spent on environment flows isn't actually helping the rivers.

No actually it explains how poorly thought out schemes can be hijacked by the unscrupulous and the profiteers.

Basically the whole plan has holes big enough to a drive 400Hp tractor through whilst towing a 50ft seeder and not even get close to the sides.

It's a massive failure of legislation, governance and monitoring.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nich... said:

Do you know if the various land owners along a proposed channel route are all on-board?

Just another reason why it won't happen...and it would require a lot of bridges.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, aliali said:

No actually it explains how poorly thought out schemes can be hijacked by the unscrupulous and the profiteers.

Basically the whole plan has holes big enough to a drive 400Hp tractor through whilst towing a 50ft seeder and not even get close to the sides.

It's a massive failure of legislation, governance and monitoring.

I think there were no checks and balances so people could rort it, like the current Minister of Energy and his brother ...

Edited by Jeruselem

11 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

I think there were no checks and balances so people could rort it, like the current Minister of Energy and his brother ...

Ye reads a bit like that, doesn't it?

11 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

What ? 

You mean like when Labor had the batts insulation scheme with no infinite checks and balances either ? Don't be misunderstanding me here, I simply think there are a lot of scummy people out there whose sole purpose in life is to take what they can get any which way, and fuck the consequences.

12 minutes ago, eveln said:

What ? 

You mean like when Labor had the batts insulation scheme with no infinite checks and balances either ? Don't be misunderstanding me here, I simply think there are a lot of scummy people out there whose sole purpose in life is to take what they can get any which way, and fuck the consequences.

Pink batts is nothing compared to this scheme. In this case, this scheme could destroy a river or two!

13 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Pink batts is nothing compared to this scheme. In this case, this scheme could destroy a river or two!

People's lives were lost due to greedy scummy behaviour.

9 hours ago, eveln said:

People's lives were lost due to greedy scummy behaviour.

individual termination as opposed to greedy corporate pseudo-genocide i guess (thinks of big pharma and oxycontin...)

Hmm,

Pink batts was primarily a training issue as in greedy companies grabbing the subsidy but not teaching their people how to install them properly.

Saw some positively appalling installations a few times that had to be pulled out and started over.

I never did do the installs just wound up in a few roofs doing network/audio installs. My guys had standing orders, if it looks dodgy get out and call the regulators. Who usually did eventually turn up but it was a debacle from end to end.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

individual termination as opposed to greedy corporate pseudo-genocide i guess (thinks of big pharma and oxycontin...)

Oh, I took it as Jeruselem talking about individuals ... " I think there were no checks and balances so people could rort it, "  ... meaning that farmers were not using the Gov. funds as intended

/ ...As for the batts issue, we benefited positively from the exercise . The installers did the right things and we have lived more comfortably since ... and that's a major plus during summer

Edited by eveln

Posted (edited)

This problems with environmental flows is made worse with water rights being a resource sold in auctions. Farmers can make use of this but another party is winning the auctions, the miners! Mining uses HUGE amounts of water. So mining and oversized corporate farms have the money to buy more water allocation as well as getting money from government.

https://www.theland.com.au/story/5931279/water-war-mines-beat-farms-at-water-auction/

Edited by Jeruselem

On 10/07/2019 at 9:19 PM, Jeruselem said:

the miners! Mining uses HUGE amounts of water.

Well that was what my first post in this thread was on about

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2019 at 9:19 PM, Jeruselem said:

This problems with environmental flows is made worse with water rights being a resource sold in auctions. Farmers can make use of this but another party is winning the auctions, the miners! Mining uses HUGE amounts of water. So mining and oversized corporate farms have the money to buy more water allocation as well as getting money from government.

https://www.theland.com.au/story/5931279/water-war-mines-beat-farms-at-water-auction/

There is actually international super company's buying up our water as a commodity now that they have changed the laws so you don't need to be a land holder to own water, they are manipulating the markets to drive up prices and holding our agricultural industry to ransom.

Combined with them flushing huge environmental flows down the river greater than what is running into the catchments due to it being a drought... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that is not sustainable or natural.

The rivers in this country use to dry up during a drought not flow 24\7.

But maybe I am bias living on a dairy farm on the Goulburn system.

And while cows may fart and burp they are eating grass grown for them that has captured that carbon in the first place they are not just producing it out of thin air.

We have also planted thousands of trees on our property.

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dasa said:

There is actually international super company's buying up our water as a commodity now that they have changed the laws so you don't need to be a land holder to own water, they are manipulating the markets to drive up prices and holding our agricultural industry to ransom.

Yep.

Dumped gravel and rock blocks environmental water from flowing into Murray-Darling forest

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-09-23/gravel-blocks-environmental-water-flows-murray-river/11537590

11537706-3x2-large.jpg?v=3

An irrigation channel used to release water into a forest along the Murray River in NSW has been filled with earth and rocks, with an irrigator saying the vandalism is a sign of frustration boiling over in the area.

Key points:

• Dumped rocks and gravel is blocking environmental water from flowing into a forest along the Murray River
  • An irrigator says it is a sign of frustration at water management
  • Commonwealth Environmental Water Holder has ordered an investigation

It is illegal to damage irrigation infrastructure, but Southern Riverina Irrigators chairman Chris Brooks said he was not surprised it happened.

"I can see it. It's on the highway between Barooga and Mulwala," Mr Brooks said.

"It's a dire situation.

"Desperate men do desperate things.

"I see the look in people's faces and they are pretty angry. It worries me, but it is going to happen."

Irrigators in the New South Wales Murray region are facing their second year of no water allocations and crops across the region are currently dying or being cut for hay due to lack of rain and, in many cases, irrigation water.

Mr Brooks said he had nothing to do with the vandalism, was not condoning it, but understood why it happened.

Despite that futile attempt at stopping them wasting water the rivers are currently all running at flood capacity and they are using irrigation channels and pumps to bypass choke points in the river in a effort to force more water out to sea without flooding houses, never mind that catchments are nearing half the level of the same time last year and one down to 36%

To bad if turmoil breaks out and shipping lanes are cut this country would likely starve.

6 hours ago, Dasa said:
  • An irrigator says it is a sign of frustration at water management
  • Commonwealth Environmental Water Holder has ordered an investigation

Hah!

So they'll spend resources investigating that but not spend to put the water where it will actually do some good ... ffs

1 hour ago, eveln said:

Hah!

So they'll spend resources investigating that but not spend to put the water where it will actually do some good ... ffs

Because they have money to spend.  They don't have water to allocate.