Off on holidays next week and a highlight of our trip will be to visit Emu Field, the site of the first atomic tests on Australian soil.

29744319_1876491579052216_56646047119665

Posted (edited)

All the best... a 3 hour round trip just from the highway to see... not a lot - fairly sure that was an airburst and doesn't even appear to have left a crater.

Though that said, I'd not be hanging around for a long time regardless of the lack of evidence.

Are you doing Lake Eyre?  Fairly sure the big rains some months back in central/N Qld were sufficient to bring on the "full" cycle. 

ed - maybe not quite as full as I'd thought but getting there http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html

Edited by Rybags

Don't be using any bore water for anything will you please.

I'm with Rybags, don't be taking a cut lunch and sleeping bag ... get some pics and keep going ... also, happy trails 🙂

Hmm,

Emu Field was the site of two tests both on towers and both in real terms very small, sub 10 kilotons which is smaller than Hiroshima.

However I've no idea how dirty they were, so I'm of the same mind, look and leave.

Lake Eyre in flood a completely different story, I've seen that, stunning.

Have fun 🙂

Cheers

🙂

Depends upon the bird life - the miracle of Lake Eyre is how fast the birds find it in flood but yeah, as a salt flat, take your sunglasses, incredible to see as well.

Cheers

Ah, the hubris of imperialism. 

We like to think it's a thing of the past... 

Hmm.

Last gasps of a dying empire treating its "colonies" with contempt as usual I guess.

To be fair most all of the scientists involved in the Manhattan Project did not really appreciate what they were inventing or if they did they were sufficiently sociopathic to not care.

I read once of Rutherford I think visiting Hiroshima not long after the war, said he vomited for a week...

I have have no idea how we put that genie back in the bottle, or if in fact we should, we might need them one day, but despite spending a deal of my young life much closer to them than I suspect just about anyone else on here they still scare the living daylights out of me. Which i regard as a healthy symptom.

Cheers

Well we got as  far as Emu and all went to shit. Started out we ripped a shock off it's mount.

66499383_2549159941785373_83095154642795        64641736_2549159881785379_49875819727851         

We decided o play it safe and return to Coober Pedy but things escalated quickly. Fifty Ks down and the left front trailer spring mount  ripped off the chassis.

64972907_2546003265434374_77713966753015

Then twenty Ks further on the right hand front spring mount followed suit.

66531971_2546003232101044_87342705585747                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

At this staged we limped to our camp and did what we could to keep it all going. Still had 47k's to Mabel Creek and a 100 to Coober Pedy. Woke up the next morning to find this

66448270_2546003312101036_14178517304223

Turned out to be a slow leak so we pumped it up and continued on our way. Pulled in to Mabel Creek Station only to find it all but abandoned so we headed on to Coober Pedy.

Found a couple of miners on the edge of the  opal fields that were willing to let us leave the trailer so we returned back to Victoria already planning the rescue mission next weekend.                                                                                                     

• Sad 2

Damn...

That's the way of heading outback mate, very unforgiving on vehicles in particular.

Still, once it's all resolved, another adventure to reflect upon 🙂

Cheers

59 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Damn...

That's the way of heading outback mate, very unforgiving on vehicles in particular.

Still, once it's all resolved, another adventure to reflect upon 🙂

Cheers

This trailer has done five years of some of the roughest tracks in Aus. We finally found its limits. Didn't help that the shocks were the wrong length either. Goes to show it best to check things yourself rather than believe what the supplier tells you

Well,

At least you seem philosophical about it, I'd be rather annoyed at your supplier 🙂

Cheers

49 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Well,

At least you seem philosophical about it, I'd be rather annoyed at your supplier 🙂

Cheers

I should have checked.

🙂

Yeah I guess so, but you do tend to trust those doing things on a daily basis.

I had some nutter many years ago put an XAS as in asymmetric tyre on back to front on my X1/9. I noticed it and told him to swap it over, he tried to tell me it made no difference - the hell it doesn't. I had him call Michelin who confirmed it would be likely to blow in no time, change it over.

Whilst muttering to himself he did so. Once done I left him with a suggestion he get a new job, street sweeping might be sufficient. He didn't like that much but I rather out-massed him  😉

The moral I guess is trust yourself first 🙂

Cheers

Jeez Ivan you must have really cheesed off the god of camping and travel or something.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:14 PM, IvanTheTerrible said:

Didn't help that the shocks were the wrong length either.

Oops and bugger.

Nice pic though. if you are in to stargazing at all the Aussie outback can be pretty good given the lack of light pollution.

🙂

It's bloody amazing out there, get away from light pollution and the sky is literally chock full of stars.

Cheers

7 hours ago, chrisg said:

the sky is literally chock full of stars.

Sorry couldn't resist.

😛

• Haha 1

🙂

Should be an interesting journey, have fun   🙂

Cheers