Seti@home is now 20 years and 2 months old.

I think I joined the SETI fun in around 2001 and was active for 4 or 5 years. then switched to folding@home.

The Atomic community more generally seemed to drift away from it in around 2012, however SETI itself is still very much alive and well.

Does anyone here still do SETI or are you folding proteins, or are you doing some other distributing computing? The whole bitcoin mining thing was interesting for a bit, but I never participated.

I am going back to SETI. My new future wife is pretty chuffed about that.

I stopped running any of them due to power cos

Yeah, from memory I ran something briefly probably in the early Core2 era or late Athlon 64 time which for me was ~ 2006/7.

In times before that, your power consumption wasn't much different for idle desktop vs 100% busy but in the modern era I've noticed CPUs are just so much better - fair enough the TDP on so much of the mid/high end stuff is still ridiculous but a decent quad-core that's not too busy can see the whole system using what an Athlon XP CPU on it's own would use.

So for me it's a big reason not to run these things, and other stuff like heat and just letting the system have a breather (it's 24/7 running with shutdowns generally for cleaning and upgrades which is sort of rare these days).

Additional for SETI at least, I don't know what algorithms they employ but with a lot of that maybe we're barking up the wrong tree, or maybe we just can't process what is there if it is.

Our digital transmissions of today would probably be unrecognisable and maybe not even have been flagged if received in the mid 1990s.

Anyone we get "contact" from will likely be way more advanced than us.  Entirely possible there's multi-channel comms in the terabit range using thousands of channels that when looked at invidivually just seem like white noise.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Drake equation pretty much implies we must be missing something... 

On 06/07/2019 at 7:24 PM, PhR33X said:

My new future wife is pretty chuffed about that.

Congrats PhR33X !

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Funny how the wank factor changes.

In the early AtOmic days my typical build for myself was 3 HDDs, 2 opticals, whatever Ram I could afford, same deal with graphics card, and superfluous fans and a fan controller.  Then throw in other stuff like a RAID card, DTV tuner/analog capture card and seperate soundcard instead of using the onboard audio.

And the thing probably chewed near to 200 Watts at medium load.

These days I tend towards minimalist as far as extras goes.  I'd rather save power and have a cooler, quieter computer.  Only just reattached my DVD burner after probably 18 months offline for extra convenience over having to drag a portable out.  I've got just the SSD and 1 mech online all the time, got a 2nd mech in a caddy which is powered on demand (not often) - as well as the assortment of external desktop drives for archival.

Edited by Rybags

On 06/07/2019 at 7:24 PM, PhR33X said:

Seti@home is now 20 years and 2 months old.

I am going back to SETI. My new future wife is pretty chuffed about that.

hmmm....

• Like 1

Had to give it a like due to the legendary band.

I don't see any point to SETI@home. Humans are already aware of ETI.

1 hour ago, NZT48 said:

I don't see any point to SETI@home. Humans are already aware of ETI.

Did I miss a memo?

Go on - you know you want to get back on that soapbox of yours...

Why do you call them nut bags? It is not just them. I saw an Australian show (which I think was on ABC) about such encounters. It is not just individuals; there are encounters where multiple people have witnessed the same event. I have seen a spherical, shiny UFO that moved much faster and with greater agility than anything conventional. Seek and you will find.

When the witness wakes up the next day with a sore arse?

Though the more plausible explanation for that is that someone else at the magic mushie session saw them passed out and took advantage of them.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:11 PM, Nich... said:

When did UFO == ETI?

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't mean to imply all UFO are with ETI. But if you look into ETI I think you will find they got here by UFO.