Sign in to follow this  
SacrificialNewt

Router Recommendation

I've been out of the tech loop for a long time (although I can still manage to fix most home computer and network problems)

I'm wondering what recommendations people have for a new NBN modem. It will be used in an apartment and the body corporate specify that it be a vectoring modem. I'm looking at Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, but I'm wondering if there's something just as good that will do a similar job cheaper. The owner will only use it for basic tasks and Fetch TV so it doesn't need to be as fast as the AC1900. 

Thanks for any input 🙂

Posted (edited)

I'd not heard of vectoring but it seems to be just a fancy name for noise and crosstalk reduction and is a fairly new technology as far as VDSL goes.

Seems that potentially a single connection in a complex can bring the house of cards down by not using the proper equipment and in some cases they just disconnect the offending unit until it properly complies.

Maybe talk to some neighbours though you'd probably be best to listen to the bad stories rather than the good.

Chances are the price gap will relate to wifi performance and capability though the usual is that Belkin and D-Link are the cheap and nasty and Netgear and TP-Link are the more savoury options.

The end usage case (just Netflix, email, whatever) isn't really important, compliance with the vectoring capability is most important.  From what little info I found it seems that some modems can aquire/improve it via firmware upgrades.  And from what I can gather also, my TP-Link Archer vr1600_v_v1 doesn't do it and doesn't have any firmware upgrades available (TPG supplied ADSL/VDSL modem/router).

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

In hindsight, my friend would have waited longer as it appears that only 11 people have had it connected, and none of the more technologically adept people have yet.  She's been told that even if someone installed a non-vectoring router, they wouldn't know who it was. I hope everyone pays heed.

If it's just for basic stuff, see what her RSP is offring.  At least they'll have to support it, that way.

9 hours ago, Nich... said:

If it's just for basic stuff, see what her RSP is offring.  At least they'll have to support it, that way.

iinet - it's the same dodgy modem they gave me. It takes a full 15 minutes to restore Internet connectivity when restarted. They sent it and it sits unopened because it truly is a POS.

• Sad 1

A potential timesaver for restart could be to set the modulation type (or equivalent setting) manually - mine, and others that I've checked is set to auto which means it tries multiple types before finding the actual one in use.

As for dodgy modems... I bought another used cheap one as a backup and tried it, and although possibly it could be tweaked better it barely achieved 75% of my normal speed.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 9:33 AM, SacrificialNewt said:

iinet - it's the same dodgy modem they gave me. It takes a full 15 minutes to restore Internet connectivity when restarted. They sent it and it sits unopened because it truly is a POS.

https://support.netcommwireless.com/product/nf18acv

I got that for my parents.

It's most ISP's default 'premium'  router.

It's VERY good, and restores internet connection within 1 minute of reboot on FTTN.

Also, the WiFi setting appear to have respected my decisions (locked channels, and frequencies, etc) which usually home grade wifi is spotty with.

Can't complain.

I use a Netgear d6220 which supports vectoring. I've never used the wifi on it but  the AC1200 should be more than enough for modest needs like that.