Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Please Explain ... if you can

Posted (edited)

Just sighted a clip or two of people in the ice-cream department of supermarkets, helping themselves to licks and finger-pokes and in one case,  what can only be described as a claw grab of the confection and then put the tub back in the frig. I suppose they show some care for the product in putting it back and not just leaving it on a shelf. Seriously strange, disease enticing and mass spreading of too. I mean the phone clips I saw showed teens and possibly older doing this, not young kids who haven't quite grasped the fact that just cos they want something doesn't make it theirs yet. These are all individuals stupid enough to attempt to hide their random lick and finger grabs and then have a mate filming them and putting on the tube

Now This one has been caught but it seems she's far from alone. I just don't get the desire ... I mean even if I did get it, I'd have to think about who mighta licked it before me.

So far the clips I've seen are pretty much all USA based clips ... maybe it's the latest fad in undermining the country from the kids up ... I seriously have no fucking idea why this is a cool thing to do

Edited by eveln

Age of entitlement.  Age of meetooism (Jackass).

But give it a month or three, some other stupid fad will make it yesterday's news.

• Like 1

I'll close three or more frig doors on any visit to the supermarket. Now I'm sincerely glad I don't go for the ice confections etc. and will be even more vigilant in the seals of the goods I do choose.

At least I'm pretty sure these fuckheads won't be looking to sample frozen veg. Here's hoping anyway.

Posted (edited)

Hmm.

I really only buy ice cream when my ice  cream addicted daughter visits in which case I usually buy a 2 litre tub that is zip sealed so I guess those are reasonably safe from tampering, the Connoisseur/Sara Jane or whatever cardboard tubs probably less so.

I obviously can't speak for where you are Ev but at my now local Coles the Ice cream is right next to the tills and thus being kept an eye on by the tellers. That was at odds to my old place in W.A. but it makes sense, get your ice cream last and get it home before it melts.

I hardly ever buy even frozen veg, apart from peas, I prefer it fresh but it really is a disgusting turn of events that needs to be stamped out.

On a separate note I do get a bit annoyed by people who sample fruit in supermarkets but the fruit and veg managers don't seem to care 🙂

On thinking about it my dad did that often, his rationale was that in the fruit and veg shops of yore you were actually encouraged to try before buy. It sort of makes sense, the discard rate of spoiled fruit and veg is quite high so who cares if a bit is sampled ?

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

On 13/07/2019 at 3:15 PM, chrisg said:

I hardly ever buy even frozen veg, apart from peas, I prefer it fresh but it really is a disgusting turn of events that needs to be stamped out.

Do you mean fresh, or unfrozen?

🙂

I don't actually really recall the last time I saw fresh peas Nich.

I guess I could find them in farmer markets but they are pretty labor intensive if I recall so probably not really worth it, leave it to Bird's Eye   🙂

I don't actually eat them very often anyway, prefer snap peas - fresh.

Cheers

21 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

just teenagers being dicks, and being proud of it

Yeah well I hope none of them have any interesting illnesses to pass on. Amazing as it may seem today, not all people are very discerning when picking their produce. Sure that's silly , but some still think they can trust what comes out of a frig or shelf of a department store.

And mostly they can, but these egomanical-self-absorbed twits make it unnecessarily difficult. It's utter shite behaviour over and above jumping the fence to pinch the neighbours fruit from his tree

11 hours ago, chrisg said:

prefer snap peas - fresh.

How fresh is fresh?

🙂

Snap peas usually less than two days old Nich, they don't keep, you can't freeze them, best you can do is chill them.

Doesn't really matter to me,  when in season my sister usually has more of them than she knows what to do with - there are advantages to to living in the Adelaide Hills, especially when you are a responsible hippy  🙂

Cheers

I gave up ice-cream after flushing some stuff I didn't like the taste of down the drain. When it melted, it wasn't cream that was disappearing down the drain, it was some grey liquid substance. NFI what it was , but cream it was not !

🙂

WHEN I have my stuff back I might make some again, been years, but i do have an ice cream maker. Just what they put in the stuff these days I have nfi.

I am back in the land of Golden North, probably the best commercial ice cream you will come across, but I really do not eat it very often.

Cheers

All sorts of chemical additives - artificial colour, flavour, combining agents, preservatives etc.

I bought some of the Moccona cappucino sachets the other week when they were $3 a pack - some weirdarsed chemical reaction goes on with them.  Put boiling water in and stir, then about 1/3rd the normal amount of milk and it's still colder than a normally made coffee.

Golden North may be good by WA and SA standards, but I've yet to find a place that consistently beats Messina Gelato.  Unfortunately they only have stores on the east coast.

As for ice-cream, it's just another food.  You kind of want there to be some 'stuff' in there, otherwise it'll only last a day or so before it has problems with ice crystals.  It's less noticable when you make it at home because your freezer is too cold, anyway.  The problem is when it's over emulsified and stabilised.

Most places will use pastes or if you're lucky, frozen puree for ice-cream.  It's rare for places to make it from 'scratch'.

13 hours ago, Nich... said:

Golden North may be good by WA and SA standards, but I've yet to find a place that consistently beats Messina Gelato.  Unfortunately they only have stores on the east coast.

As for ice-cream, it's just another food.  You kind of want there to be some 'stuff' in there, otherwise it'll only last a day or so before it has problems with ice crystals.  It's less noticable when you make it at home because your freezer is too cold, anyway.  The problem is when it's over emulsified and stabilised.

Most places will use pastes or if you're lucky, frozen puree for ice-cream.  It's rare for places to make it from 'scratch'.

🙂

If you were to come to Adelaide Nich I'd take you to a place on Hindley street that makes Gelato that is to die for but it could never go commercial, the best things never do.

Golden North is very much S.A. I don't know of an equivalent in W.A. but they are on a roll at the moment, after decades of being perfectly happy to just be South Australian they went big commercial, floated etc.

I dunno, at the moment from what little I eat the quality seems fine, but I have somewhat jaded taste buds 🙂

Cheers

Posted (edited)

that'd be "flash" opposite jules nightclub on hindley i expect

both still there 30 years + after i left no doubt

nippy's natural (orange juice) is peerless also

Edited by scruffy1

🙂

Bingo Scruffy   🙂

Not sure if Jules is still there, I'm not a clubber, used to walk past Flash every day, it was convenient to park just past the townhouse and amble into town  🙂

Cheers

17 hours ago, chrisg said:

🙂

WHEN I have my stuff back I might make some again, been years, but i do have an ice cream maker. Just what they put in the stuff these days I have nfi.

i make a crap-tonne of icecream.  here's the best website ive ever found on the topic, and as for 'what they put in it': http://icecreamscience.com/stabilizers-ice-cream/

17 hours ago, Nich... said:

You kind of want there to be some 'stuff' in there, otherwise it'll only last a day or so before it has problems with ice crystals.  It's less noticable when you make it at home because your freezer is too cold, anyway.  The problem is when it's over emulsified and stabilised.

a day or so is a bit extreme!   if the water content in the mixture is on the high side, and the container is in and out of the freezer a lot in the middle of summer, definitely.  temperature changes are the biggest killer. 

homemade ice cream is best when care is taken in the beginning to chill the mixture properly so it freezes very fast when churned — makes a big difference to the texture and the size of the crystals over time.

the main problem i have, is my ice cream setting too hard by the end of a week, but otherwise it tends to hold up very well.  i dont use egg anymore, because making an anglaise and waiting for that shit to cool down sucks all the fun out of living.  just a high proportion of milk fat (heavy cream), minimal water, and the right sugars (some glucose syrup).  but i am about to start experimenting with adding some psyllium husk, of all things, for its jelling properties. 

42 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

the main problem i have, is my ice cream setting too hard by the end of a week, but otherwise it tends to hold up very well.  i dont use egg anymore, because making an anglaise and waiting for that shit to cool down sucks all the fun out of living.  just a high proportion of milk fat (heavy cream), minimal water, and the right sugars (some glucose syrup).  but i am about to start experimenting with adding some psyllium husk, of all things, for its jelling properties.

There are some Messina recipes floating around on the internet, but do yourself a favour and get a hold of their book and have a read.  It has a pretty good explanation for why they no longer use egg (unless they want it to taste like egg), and how to go about getting a good balance of water, proteins, carbohydrates and sweetness, via balancing natural sugars in the flavouring (usually a fruit), and a combination of succrose, dextrose, and maltodextrin.

This link may work for you: the site is pretty good about book excerpts, but they have a limit on how many you can see before you pay up:
https://www.cooked.com.au/Nick-Palumbo/Hardie-Grant-Books/Gelato-Messina/Basics

There was a time you lot talking about this stuff would have me drooling ...not even had my seasonal hot choc /cocoa drink this year, and I used to lurve them so. Not even craving them yet 😕

I don't know how you could refer to a drink as "seasonal" in a place that might be under 15 degrees for a few dozen hours of the entire year.

• Haha 3

Sure ! It's easy. The longer I live up here the wimpier I become. 20c I consider winter