Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

How little we are told...

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/massive-radiation-cloud-that-spread-across-europe-came-from-a-russian-nuclear-facility/news-story/9b0b5ac82fd52d231208fa3d767f6e68

As a general rule I'm more than somewhat sensitive to any nuclear accidents but this one never came onto my radar- until now.

It's utterly puzzling - Ruthenium is not really much of an issue - very short half-life, decays via beta radiation, you can stop that with a Kleenex, but the quantity was just amazing. It is one of the rarest elements on earth, yet here it was tripping radiation sensors all across Europe.

It has become progressively more useful despite its scarcity, it hardens platinum and is being used to greatly  improve the wear resistance of electronic contacts, but just how did so much of it get into the atmosphere for a few days a couple of years ago ?

The Russians made some lame excuse about a satellite burning up - patent nonsense, but no one ever offered any other explanation.

A puzzle with so far no answer - worth keeping an eye on, there is more to this than is immediately apparent.

Cheers

That's Russia for you.

Being on the wrong side of the bleeding edge got them well ahead in the space race, created some of the fastest generic fighter planes around, and gives us things like this.

Though their nuclear tech seems less bleeding edge and more a case of the bare minimum needed to do the job.

Hmm.

"Bleeding edge" would be right - I doubt there are not more than a few undeclared losses pre-Gagarin. As for their fighter aircraft - I spent a lot of time analyzing their capabilities - the SU series from 27 on are pretty damned impressive, also considerably less than reliable.

It's a case of utterly different attitudes, to Russians the individual has little real value, unless you happen to be Putin, but Western attitudes are completely different, we truly do value the individual.

Most of what Russia claims is to a degree falsehood, we rather politely go along with the facade - the West gets ruthless scrutiny and that is why when the chips go down the West is still standing when Russia is on its knees.

I honestly have no idea how that much Ruthenium got loose, or what significance it might have, but there is a deeper story lurking there somewhere.

Cheers

They seem to be rather partial to spraying rare and awful radioactive elements around...

Fortunately Ruthenium is not really much of a problem, it's not toxic, and beta decay is not much of an issue, just trying to understand how it even came to be.

Cheers

Chernobyl was kept quiet until they worked out they couldn't hide the situation.

Um yeah, radioactive Cesium can get your attention...

There was no way they could hide that, but this one, because it was so short lived, they did cover up for quite a while.

Cheers

Russians are the Arabs of Europe. In almost every way except the “me explode for Allah” thing.

Sorry if that sounds racist, but there you go. I know of no other explanation and I’m here right now, in Kurgan, Russia. It’s a country utterly devoid of anything approximating self-awareness.

My wife’s family lives here. 90% of them reckon Russia’s the free-est country in the world, that the West misrepresents and is always against Russia. 

I got into a big blue today with my wife’s godfather, to the point where he called me a commie.

I pointed out that freedom means your minorities have rights against the majority - not the other way around. I acknowledged he had a point about certain things in Russia which are free-er than in Australia, but I said - on the whole, Russia is not free. 

I also explained to him that Russia was weak militarily and its only power is that its a nuclear state and the fact that a few idiots believe a lie that it is powerful.

I also explained that the difference between Russians and Westerners is that people in the West go to bed knowing things will be OK tomorrow. No-one in Russia gets that certainty.

But more importantly is the corruption. If a Russian can skip some taxes, skimp on something in a contract or deliver a product that is below standard - he will. NSW is having apoplectic fits about a few buildings having issues over a 10yr span. Like 3 buildings! In Russia, that’s everything, everyone across all time.

Hmm,

I'm curious because apart from a long, long ago trip on the Trans Siberian which hardly counts I've never been that far out in the sticks in Russia, really only in Moscow and St Petersburg .

Where you are is rather close to the Kazakhstan border.

i'm suspecting that the attitude to Russia and beliefs in it are somewhat different to those in the far away cities?

Cheers