Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

...and another mass shooting in America...

In a Walmart this time, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel...

It's come to be almost routine, are they never going to learn ?

They say up to 18 people killed but not including the gunman - they have the death penalty in Texas but that's no compensation..

Cheers.

hmm,  i suppose thats all i am going to see when i turn on the TV :(

i know texas is an open carry state.  but the only conclusion its possible to make is there werent enough good people with guns roaming about the shop that day.  it makes me wonder what the uptake rate is, because its obviously not high enough, and i think ive found the problem:  "An eligible person wishing to obtain an LTC must take a State-set instruction course taught by a licensed instructor for a minimum of 4 hours and a maximum of 6 hours".   can you believe that?  4 hours!  who has time for that? maybe if it werent for these draconian restrictions, tragedies like this one could be entirely avoided.

Given your penchant for sarcasm I'll agree with you, although open carry does not include  a semi-auto rifle which this lunatic was apparently using.

I've not been in a Walmart for years but most of the occupants kinda look like they could not afford a gun in the first place...

Cheers

hmmm... look at that, right on time.

You really have to wonder what the tipping point is for these fools to say "hey, there's something wrong here, and we need to do something about it". Instead it just gets tossed aside as just something you deal with every other week.

For the "home of the brave" they sure don't have the balls to do anything that might make a difference.

Hmm.

i'm starting to wonder if anything can be done about it.

The country is awash in guns, and gun lovers, an N.Z. style amnesty is just not going to work.

Perhaps a generational change, but that is by definition going to take time.

Meanwhile people go on dying.

A part of the problem of course is the mental health issues of those that go on a rampage and that in turn is partly driven by the intensity of life in the country itself.

Ironically I rather like the place but you are in a lottery of whether you might be in the wrong place at the wrong time and it is demonstrably getting worse.

Cheers

21 minutes ago, rs727 said:

hmmm... look at that, right on time.

You really have to wonder what the tipping point is for these fools to say "hey, there's something wrong here, and we need to do something about it". Instead it just gets tossed aside as just something you deal with every other week.

For the "home of the brave" they sure don't have the balls to do anything that might make a difference.

I guess bravery extends only to giving anyone a gun and hoping they won't shoot up a store/school with it. That system works for most people I guess... So what's a few mass shootings here and there?

Mass shooting almost seem "normal" over there in TrumpLand.

Oh. :(

3 hours ago, @~thehung said:

but the only conclusion its possible to make is there werent enough good people with guns roaming about the shop that day. 

probably cos most sane / good people don't see the need to carry when off to shop for school supplies etc. Given the State's laws, some might call those sane good people naive too.

I've just seen a bit of phone footage of a guy calmly being led away from a vehicle ( arms cuffed behind his back ) by one policeman whilst several others go search the car. A 21 year old they be saying, and some sort of manifesto

5 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Mass shooting almost seem "normal" over there in TrumpLand.

Seriously dude !? Are you really going to lay this at his door too ? come onnnnn !

13 minutes ago, eveln said:

Seriously dude !? Are you really going to lay this at his door too ? come onnnnn !

The NRA helped fund him so he will pretty much leave the gun laws as they are.

besides, "Trumpland" works just fine as a general way to refer to the status quo of the country.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

so he will pretty much leave the gun laws as they are.

Like All the other Presidents before him . Is what I'm saying.

So glad the Term " BushLand " never really became a thing .

Edited by eveln

1 hour ago, eveln said:

Like All the other Presidents before him . Is what I'm saying.

So glad the Term " BushLand " never really became a thing .

Trump is trying to the USA more like personal fiefdom like his friend Kim in NK

36 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Trump is trying to the USA more like personal fiefdom like his friend Kim in NK

If so, wouldn't he be better to get all the guns gone then ?

33 minutes ago, eveln said:

If so, wouldn't he be better to get all the guns gone then ?

Probably not when you appeal to the sorts of people who like powerful gun collections. More people with guns who have your back. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Probably not when you appeal to the sorts of people who like powerful gun collections. More people with guns who have your back. 

Gee, I don't know 'bout that. That would seem to require an inordinate amount of trust I would think ...  my trust issues wouldn't deal too well with lots of people at my back with guns ... but then I don't trust too well 😉

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-04/mass-shooting-in-dayton-ohio/11382284

and now Dayton Ohio. Nine dead and the gun man too

Edited by eveln

12 hours ago, @~thehung said:

hmm,  i suppose thats all i am going to see when i turn on the TV 😞

You still do that?

Seriously, why? Isn't it too depressing to see Auntie being defiled?

11 hours ago, eveln said:

Gee, I don't know 'bout that. That would seem to require an inordinate amount of trust I would think ...  my trust issues wouldn't deal too well with lots of people at my back with guns ... but then I don't trust too well 😉

Maybe it says mire about how much you believe yourself to be an effective leader and the people to be sheep? 

49 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Maybe it says mire about how much you believe yourself to be an effective leader and the people to be sheep? 

oh, I'm no leader.

10 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Seriously, why? Isn't it too depressing to see Auntie being defiled?

depressing, yes.  too depressing, no.  not while theres still so many still fighting the good fight and kicking against the pricks.

14 hours ago, eveln said:

oh, I'm no leader.

I'm thinking more about their president. He seems like a guy with a lot of self belief. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I'm thinking more about their president. He seems like a guy with a lot of self belief. 

I guess any President would need that. Crikey I bet our Scotty has a deal of self belief too ... bloody sure Shorten did as well ...

Edited by eveln
  • Like 1

and now a mass shooting, thus far only woundings in Toronto.

Canada does have a chance, it can react like Australia and New Zealand but I do wonder if they will, it is in many ways as much a gun culture as is the U.S.

It is only appropriate to lay the blame at the feet of the President Ev - buck stops here.

I'm not suggesting any previous President has done any better, patently not, the NRA is a huge influence in the U.S. although apparently it is in financial trouble, but it certainly did support and fund Trump in 2016 - for its own good reasons.

Consequently Trump can make pitiful condolence speeches all he wants, he is not doing anything about it, as much as he claims he is, that is just another Trump lie.

Cheers