Sign in to follow this  
robzy

Is baked beans on toast with cheese a breakfast, lunch, or dinner meal?

No joke here.

If it's all 3, then can you rank them in order of when baked beans on toast with (melted) cheese is most appropriate?

I don't do breakfast.

Will eat bb on toast with cheese for either lunch or dinner. No preference  here, either is a win for me.

• Like 1

Is baked beans on toast with cheese a breakfast, lunch, or dinner meal?

Whatever you want. Chuck a couple of poached or fried eggs on there and it's even better.

Yum.

Most appropriate? Possibly brekky and lunch.

For dinner definitely add the eggs and even a bit of bacon, fried or grilled ham or a sausage or two with some green tomato pickles to top it off. Yummo.

• Like 1

It's whatever you want it to be - you're an adult aren't you?

• Like 2

i approve of devere's assessment

not so keen on cheese with 'em, and prefer ham sauce on the beans rather than standard

but unless in desperation for quick calories (invariably as a short order ersatz "dinner"), bb on toast here usually get served with crispy bacon and soft fried egg, and a side order of extra toast to clean the plate

... oh, and decent espresso if it's breakfast or brunch, and likely more espresso if it's a late-ish lunch

more recently the go to quick lunch or dinner here is the freshly cooked woolies free range organic chook, using the breast meat diced through a package caesar salad mix... which i have yet to get excited enough to add diced hard boiled egg as an ingrediend

the wings and legs are snack food for 'ron, and any extra meat and skin is bequeathed to the domestic short hair, as her favourite food every time

• Like 1

Arguably it's not even a meal, it's a snack.  But if it's only one, it's probably not dinner, nor a meal, as it's not substantive enough.

• Like 1

It's seriously a first world issue , and it is too a meal ! You lot eat waaay more than your body actually requires in one sitting !

• Like 1

🙂

It's the sort of thing I might occasionally have as an evening meal if I get home late and can't be bothered with cooking but not only do I not do much about breakfast I rarely bother much with lunch either.

Cheers

• Like 1

is there ever an appropriate time to ruin perfectly good cheese and toast?

not sure that ive ever had it.  baked beans — out of a can at least — is dog food.

• Like 1

🙂

I can't actually say I recall the last time I had baked beans, not exactly something I would go out of my way to eat.

Cheers

• Like 1

Go google bake beans. I just did ( I would have put a link in but " there is a problem loading this  ... OK " ) ... maybe later .

It's not haute cuisine it 's just baked beans ... got to be just as healthy as eating home made ice cream

• Like 1

Any, but not as a regular thing unless it's for breakfast. It's a full meal if you have two pieces of toast, a can of beans and two slices of cheese.

Appropriateness ranking: breakfast, lunch then dinner. 

• Like 1

ive made them from scratch a handful of times over the years.  i think...  pretty sure...  its just...there wasnt any baking involved?  and my tomato sauce was actually palatable. 

kinda defeats the purpose though, when i imagine half the point for most is the impromptu convenience of the canned stuff. 

• Like 1

It can be for any, but I'd be more likely to have it for dinner.

Also if you think baked beans & melted cheese is good. Try it with picked jalapenos added - Yum.

• Like 1

🙂

Now that does sound good stadl, might have to give it a go   🙂

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks all!

Its always been a breakfast dish to me (but like any good breakfast dish it can work for lunch or dinner too), and I was curious whether others saw it the same way.

For me it'd be a lunch or inbetween lunch/dinner.

As far as toasted sangers go, my preference is ham + cheese + chicken slice + tomato + onion (last 2 optional).

When travelling a simple ham+cheese toasted is great as it satisfies without bloat or making you tired half an hour later.

Yes.

Oh, you wanted a longer answer? Then let me bore you:

* Baked beans are traditionally consumed at breakfast time, as is toast. Therefore I would call bb on t a traditional breakfast, particularly when the baked beans come from a can.

* Any kind of cheese-and-bread combo is traditionally considered a lunch food, therefore the addition of cheese moves this dish firmly into the lunch category. The addition of beans is just making sure the lunch is sufficiently filling. Putting baked beans and cheese inside a proper jaffle toastie would clinch this, as we all know jaffles are lunch and we also know that baked beans or canned spaghetti make superior jaffles.

* Baked beans can be made at home, from scratch. With, like, actual cooking. I know, this is bizarre because why else were tins invented, but there's even a recipe in a Jamie Oliver book so it must be true. Any home made legume dish is a Proper Vegetarian Dinner, therefore bb on t can also be considered dinner food.

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

3 hours ago, Nich... said:

Spaghetti from a can in a jaffle 🤢

That's my go to quick dinner

Yeah, maybe cheese at breaky is a bit much ... less of course you be doin' brunch 

9 hours ago, Nich... said:

Spaghetti from a can in a jaffle 🤢

ikr LOL

probably the only way this could be improved is if the jaffle itself came in a can.

...i say the only way, but do i worry about the carb content of this dish.  seems a little low.  and thats why "Our new and improved Canned Spaghetti Jaffle in a Can comes stuffed with delicious melange of Tiny Taters and Deb instant mash!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fenn said:

inside a proper jaffle toastie

Which reminds me must get a new jaffle maker.

13 hours ago, Fenn said:

Baked beans can be made at home, from scratch.

Sister did this once although the recipe called them Boston beans. She said never again, a hell of a lot of work just for some up market baked beans.

🙂

That, is the literal truth Ali.

Boston beans are what Baked beans were called before Heinz stole them but they did do a pretty good job of stealing them.

No one has really matched Heinz, certainly not Rosella, unfortunately, I like most of their other products.

However on the rare occasion that I have baked beans Heinz is the only acceptable way.

The breakfast buffets seem to agree, its always Heinz, been a while, but you can tell  🙂

Cheers

The only times I've eaten beans from a can, with family, in the US, they were definitely not from Heinz, and they were at least smoked (or had smoke flavour put into the sauce).