Sign in to follow this  
robzy

Is baked beans on toast with cheese a breakfast, lunch, or dinner meal?

Is now a good time to mention that I absolutely hate baked beans of any kind?

• Like 1

🙂

I'm not exactly their number one fan myself Fenzy 🙂

Dunno what brand that would be Nich, never taken much notice in the States but smoked beans have been becoming more common here.

Cheers

On 8/15/2019 at 12:51 PM, aliali said:

Sister did this once although the recipe called them Boston beans. She said never again, a hell of a lot of work just for some up market baked beans.

I made homemade baked beans last week. It was easy and delicious.

yeah, it neednt be a lot of work. whats your recipe robzy?

off the top of my head, this would work:

fry some finely chopped bacon + onion, add some passata + balsamic + mustard powder + brown sugar + smoked paprika + white pepper + a diced fresh tomato or two + tiny bit of salt, reduce a bit then add cannellini beans [+ porcini mushroom powder!*] , cook some more, maybe a knob of butter and some more salt.  then throw it all in the bin, because you just made baked beans.   

* cant be sure the mushroom powder would work here.  but i recommended it for anyone who hasnt tried it for boosting the umami factor. its expensive, but goes a very long way. 

You could probably add some vegemite instead of mushroom powder, but it might throw off the salt balance while boosting the glutamates <.<

yeah, i often add either vegemite or promite to stuff, but vegemite in particular has a bit of hair trigger.  promite is more mellow and sweet.

oh and i forgot garlic. definitely some garlic. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

yeah, it neednt be a lot of work. whats your recipe robzy?

off the top of my head, this would work:

fry some finely chopped bacon + onion, add some passata + balsamic + mustard powder + brown sugar + smoked paprika + white pepper + a diced fresh tomato or two + tiny bit of salt, reduce a bit then add cannellini beans [+ porcini mushroom powder!*] , cook some more, maybe a knob of butter and some more salt.  then throw it all in the bin, because you just made baked beans.   

* cant be sure the mushroom powder would work here.  but i recommended it for anyone who hasnt tried it for boosting the umami factor. its expensive, but goes a very long way. 

I went for something similarly simple (if not simpler):

Shallots + garlic + whole canned tomatoes (smashed with a wooden spoon) + tomato paste + brown sugar + smoked paprika + worcester sauce + fresh rosemary + cannellini beans + salt + pepper

The biggest thing I learned is that cannellini beans might have too subtle of a flavour. I'm going to experiment with some other beans.

Mushroom powder sounds interesting. I'm sure that it would work in a wide range of dishes. Will keep an eye out.

[edit]: Also, I reduced everything with the cannellini beans added. It was roughly 45min-1hr, and by that point the beans had perfect texture. Soft and creamy but with a bit of 'bite'.

Edited by robzy

I posit ... If one didn't add so many other ingredients along with the tomato and onion, one might be able to still taste the subtle flavour of the bean. ... Just sayin' 

I mean that is the idea ... Ain't it ? 

1 hour ago, eveln said:

I posit ... If one didn't add so many other ingredients along with the tomato and onion, one might be able to still taste the subtle flavour of the bean. ... Just sayin' 

nope :)

heres an experiment for you.  open up a can, rinse off all the sauce in a colander, and then report back on the flavour of those beans.

i put it to you that the point of the beans is they are a neutral mush for the conveyance of flavourful sauce, but mainly because they are a dirt cheap source of protein and fibre.

32 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

nope :)

heres an experiment for you.  open up a can, rinse off all the sauce in a colander, and then report back on the flavour of those beans.

i put it to you that the point of the beans is they are a neutral mush for the conveyance of flavourful sauce, but mainly because they are a dirt cheap source of protein and fibre.

lol. not gonna happen. I like them in the sauce. It makes the ride of the bean down my throat sooo smooth.

To be quite truthful here now, I have to admit to not buying the baked beans in a can any more... just too sweet for my body's needs these days. You see if I eat them then I have to forgo the not so odd dose of almond chocolate or the like

We do add the odd can of four bean mix or "Mexican mix" beans ( protein ! ) now and then to some vegie and pasta dishes

Posted (edited)

HAHA speaking of four bean mix... i just made some baked beans for the hell of it.

1 small onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 satchet of this shit 674637.jpg+ 1/2 C water, 1 ts mustard powder, 2 ts brown sugar, 1 ts chinese black vinegar, white pepper, 2 cans four bean mix, 1/2 ts mushroom powder

had it on massive slices of stale-ish sour dough.  actually pretty damn good, considering.

Edited by @~thehung

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Nich... said:

Fresh or dried beans?  Soaked or from a can?

From a can. Will look into whether dried+soaked will be better.

17 hours ago, eveln said:

Yes and no. I get that it seems odd that beans are all the way down the list of ingredients, but the other stuff really just makes a basic tomato sauce that you cook the beans in. Most of the ingredients are background singers.

You could cook the beans in watered-down canned tomato soup instead, but yeah.... 😛

14 hours ago, @~thehung said:

had it on massive slices of stale-ish sour dough.  actually pretty damn good, considering.

Looks good!

Edited by robzy

Lols Rob. I thought that was why the cheese !

On 8/5/2019 at 1:23 PM, robzy said:

Is baked beans on toast with cheese a breakfast, lunch, or dinner meal?

The fact you think this is a question worth asking gives me a slight twinge of quiet despair.

Nobody is the the boss of you, man. Eat what you fucken want, and leave semantics out of it.

And have a think about what makes a good question.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

The fact you think this is a question worth asking gives me a slight twinge of quiet despair.

Nobody is the the boss of you, man. Eat what you fucken want, and leave semantics out of it.

And have a think about what makes a good question.

here's a question for you Kimmo:  were you eating breakfast, lunch, or dinner when somebody took a shit in your cereal?   😝

yeah its a silly question, but it did lead to some discussion.  what motivated it i wonder?  my theory: Robzy is trying to settle an argument with his partner.  she's all like "Grrr.  Baked beans is not a romantic dinner!  It's not even a dinner!"

now that the first part is settled, i am awaiting the next thread, in which Robzy asks: "Is any meal eaten by candlelight romantic?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3