Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

Every now and again you get a Good News story :)

🙂

I just love this:

https://nypost.com/2019/08/10/why-new-york-harbor-is-the-cleanest-its-been-in-110-years/?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

I have no idea how many times I've been to, indeed lived in New York - never even thought of it as a coastal city.

It's amazing how things can bounce back when we pay attention, just needs that initial push, but we do have to keep on keeping on,

There are lessons to be learned in this little story, some of which Australia has already taken on board, but there is always room to improve.  🙂

Cheers

Has to be said, but the death of manufacturing and heavy industry in such places has played a bit part - you see similar results in places like Sydney and Newcastle.

That's true, maybe we should learn to make our industry far less polluting.

NYC was a bit of a special case though, grew up larger and quicker than the cities you mention and just pumped sewage out to sea.

There was this foolish belief that it would just wash away into the wide blue ocean.

They are on the way to learning, as the article makes clear, but even with the first somewhat faltering steps the fish are coming back 🙂

One step at a time.

Maybe, just maybe, it is because we live longer now than we did then ?

Cheers

BREAKING NEWS

Clean water plus less pollution equals more marine life.

🙂

Do you happen to know Twinny, what happens to your shit when it heads off on its journey into the system ?

Purely by accident I do here in S.A. but I bet most people never give it a second thought.

England had to learn decades ago, small Island, lot of people, so they have had treatment plants for a very long time.

Australia only really began to treat it seriously in the 50's prior to that they were pretty much as guilty as NYC.

Sydney in particular, possibly you do not recall, the depositing of sewage into the harbor did not work, the water is very slow to turn over, so initially they just ran pipes out past the heads.

Not really a long term solution nowadays they treat sewage, so does most all of Australia.

Cheers

• Haha 1

manly has a deep ocean outfall, but discharged effluent only undergoes "primary treatment"

manly beach is now pretty pristine after being a cesspool till the late 80's, when raw sewerage was pretty much piped directly off north head at flying fish point, and a good sou' easter would wash it into the bay that is manly

surfactant to help it dispersed stripped wax off the iconic norfolk island pines, such that the bottom 10 metres or so were pretty much without pine needles - although sydney water denied that was their doing

funnily, once the deep outfall started, the pine trees are like new after a few decades...

Hmm.

Had not known that it went on into the late 80-s scruffy, that's pretty disgusting, at least it has been corrected.

S.A has had Bolivar treatment works for a very long time and I believe there are now other facilities as well.

It's one of those subjects that people tend to just not think about. When you have multi-million population cities all  over the planet you to though.

Cheers

we bought our house up the hill from manly in mid 1992, just as the beach was starting to reflect better outfall solutions becoming active

excellent timing on our part - couldn't buy a very basic free standing house locally for much under $2m these days; i certainly couldn't afford to be a local if i wasn't already entrenched

check this : https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-16/where-sydney-sends-its-sewerage/6945904

the beach went from swimming under turd to swimming undeterred; the difference is remarkable

the band "bondi cigars" was named after the local slang for surf borne shit pieces

🙂

I'd still  prefer it get properly treated, but it is a start 🙂

Sewage treatment costs money, it reflects in rates, but it is a responsibility that we need to own up to.

Cheers

4 hours ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Do you happen to know Twinny, what happens to your shit when it heads off on its journey into the system ?

Of course I do.

I'm from Sydney and I'm fully aware of what we used to do Vs what we do now.

bondipoop.jpg

In other news: Water Is Wet.

🙂

Nice to know...

I guess the real point is that someone could live their whole life in New York and never think of it as a coastal city at all. The only time they would notice would be when they ran into the bottleneck bridges during rush hour. New Yorkers are hardly thought of as beachgoers, it might now begin to change.

The East Coast of the U.S. is so radically different to the West, even in LA people are aware of and use the ocean to relax.

I can't exactly see a surfer community building in NYC but I can see a bit more time being spent enjoying the water, and that's a good thing.

Cheers