the_13th

First Full Upgrade in 10 years

Posted (edited)

So as a I said this is my first full upgrade in a long time as I kept putting it off for that next thing but with the old one dying (I can't be bothered figuring it out when I want to upgrade anyway but my guess is the power supply) 

I'm definitely going Ryzen I just see no reason not to in the market right now and I'm putting off my graphics card for now my current one is just an RX 570 but it will do until the rest of the rx5700xts come out in Australia and means I can budget better.  Here's what I intend for my initial purchase 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

MB: Asus TUF Gaming X570 with WiFi 

RAM: 16GB (2X8) Adata Spectrix D41 3600

M.2: Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB

P/S: Seasonic Focus Gold 650W 

Main Hard Drives can carry over for now but I will need to replace them soon (I don't want to risk their age) I'll likely carry over my 240gb SSD (because why not) 

I keep backflipping back and forth from 570 vs B450 I mean the 570 is certainly easier as I have no flashing to work about and so some extend future proofs me. Case I can decide on my own but it's likely going to be the fractal define r6. I had thought about a smaller MATX build but I'd like the option of adding capture later down the road. 

Any thoughts? Motherboard is the big question here (maybe the RAM too) I is like WIFI as my one is old and much slower but I could always add this later I guess. Is 650 going to be sufficient for my intended gxf? 

Edited by the_13th

I'd stay with X570, since you don't have do the BIOS shenanigans for the CPU compatibility in the future.

• Like 1

Yeah futureproofing is definitely on my mind, I'm likely gong to get an AIO for the CPU cooling too which I didn't note. But that will depend on my case

AMD are bringing out the new RX5x00 cards later so you can wait for those.

8 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

AMD are bringing out the new RX5x00 cards later so you can wait for those.

I suspect that the custom 5700xt will be as high as I can go price wise. 

If I choose to flip back to the B450 it's going to be for 2 reasons. 

1.) Cost

2.) Aesthetics (there's a cool looking matx case I love) 

Means I drop to 3200 RAM which is still fine I'd have to buy a wifi card. and I lose the flexibility of a larger motherboard (but there are external capture cards) 

But it I can answer that question

B450 MB can handle higher RAM speeds with Ryzen 3000 and should be similar to X570 in this regard if the BIOS is good enough.

That said if your willing to OC CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport LT Series DDR4 3000MHz is good value using Micron chips that are known to OC rather well with Ryzen 3000

Timings wont be as tight as with b die but then they are a lot cheaper.

2 hours ago, Dasa said:

CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport LT Series DDR4 3000MHz

Actually I've never overclocked memory honestly but I do know its the thing with Ryzen, going to have to learn by the time it gets here :P

When your saying timing wont be as tight? I mean I understand I buy 3000 and overclock it to get the performance of for example 3600 or something. But I'm not entirely over on the rest of the memory overclock stuff for obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, Dasa said:

450 MB can handle higher RAM speeds with Ryzen 3000 and should be similar to X570 in this regard if the BIOS is good enough

Oh so I could just buy a 3600 stick without it bottle necking in the old board?

Posted (edited)

Updated Listing

The idea for the B450 would involve the following (and save me a bit of money)

CPU: Ryzen 3600 (no change)
MB: MSI B450M Mortar Titanium (the white version)
RAM: still working that out.. (Currently pencilled in is Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W, I would like RGB but its not a must)
M.2: Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB (no change)
P/S: Seasonic Focus Gold 650W
Case: Corsair Crystal Series 280X (white not RBG version)

CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum SE 240mm (again the white version and this is why I skipped on the RBG version of the case)

These parts are coming to around 1369 on pc case gear and the theme should be pretty obvious.
As opposed to like 1580 or so previously, means im losing WiFi but I can fix that afterwards if I need to.

Graphics wise the reason Im leaving this is because I like what Im seeing from the 5700XT but would rather have one that has a cooler that actually, you know.. cools...lol

Hence why Im waiting for the customs to hit, I've only seen 3 so far and none of them are even in Australia yet.

That case is one I've been watching for a while, honestly I wish the 240x was still around but I missed the boat on that one. (I liked the fact you could rotate it.

But if I go that way it will limit the graphics card that I can choose, its listed to take up to a 300mm card but that would depend on where you put the AIO Rad, so it already eliminates one of the 3 we've seen as the Powercolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil is listed at 300mm which is way too close for my liking. I dont like what Im seeing from the MSI Evoke but their Mech OS looks promising

So this is why Ill be using my RX570 for the SHORT TERM, it will be short term though.

Question: Is 650W going to be enough for what Im planning? 

Edited by the_13th
updated information

PSU will be fine but  it looks like the 750w is only $20 more.   There has been many good reviews on the 5700xt PowerColor Red Devil, but it is mostly black with some red.  

RAM performance on Zen2

https://www.techspot.com/review/1891-ryzen-memory-performance-scaling/

RAM overclocking is slow and hard but much more beneficial than overclocking the CPU.

Try using settings suggested by DRAM Calculator for Ryzen.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download...am-calculator/

Guide on using it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqhyVNPhaM

There is great info here on stability testing RAM.
I find HCI best for memory controller stability and Linux GSAT the quickest for finding RAM related errors.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-a...ty-thread.html

That Corsair RAM kit is likely using Hynix chips which are some of the cheapest and slowest chips about with it's rated speed being fairly close to a fast as they get without slowing timings a lot offsetting gains from higher frequency.

Adata 3600c17 is probably the best bet if you want RGB at a reasonable price.

You will need to use the BIOS flashback feature on that MB successfully or it wont post with the new CPU or you could pay PCCG to update the BIOS for you.

Older MSI MB other than the MAX which support Ryzen 3000 out of the box are having more BIOS issues than others due to there BIOS chip being to small to fit all the data and they had to cut some stuff out.

The Crucial P1 SSD and Intel 660P are a ok budget drive for gaming but there low Write endurance makes them not so flash for other things like photoshop\video editing.

You also want to make sure they don't get very full as there performance drops a lot more than most when they do.

For the little bit extra Adata XPG SX8200 PRO is a much better drive.

2x120 AIO have a tendency to be fairly loud vs HSF.

Try get at least a 2x140 AIO or 3x120 if you want one. they are not a good value option but then bling never is.

550w would be fine for that build only really need 650w with a 2080Ti overclocked and maybe 750w with a overclocked 3950x and even then the system would be using significantly less power than that.

2 hours ago, Dasa said:

2x120 AIO have a tendency to be fairly loud vs HSF.

Try get at least a 2x140 AIO or 3x120 if you want one. they are not a good value option but then bling never is.

That was a concern with the smaller case size as it restricts me to the smaller AIOs. I'll double check compatibility options

2 hours ago, Dasa said:

For the little bit extra Adata XPG SX8200 PRO is a much better drive.

That's a good idea, I'm not doing a lot of video stuff but I've started playing a little it's not a huge priority but for the difference I agree is worth it. 

2 hours ago, Dasa said:

Adata 3600c17 is probably the best bet if you want RGB at a reasonable price.

is it wrong that I feel dirty for wanting rbg lol I've changed.. Im disappointed 

Seriously though I'll try and find that Adata line during my next break

Good news AIO wise, the H115i is compatible just means i need to adjust my theme a little (or buy a sleeving kit) 

Yeah that RAM kit is fine.

Any that have CL17-18-18 or lower in the spec.

Lower the better with timings.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, gamble said:

There has been many good reviews on the 5700xt PowerColor Red Devil, but it is mostly black with some red.  

Yeah another reason why I'm holding off but the graphics card won't match perfectly anyway, if I'm lucky something complimentary will come out but I suspect I'll just hand to be happy with what I get. Fingers crossed. The main theme is white black and green but this is still all in the air but I am leaning to the 450m right now. It's saving me money and without sacrificing performance greatly in any way. I might go as far as some cable sleeves maybe we'll see what happens. 

If I go the other way then it's likely just wanting to look nice lol

Edited by the_13th

So I would like to start by thanking everyone who offered advice. 

Purchase has been made pretty much at the point it stood last including the advice on RAM. I paid the $10 for the bios flash (worth it) And found a better price on the H115i which was $10 cheaper. Now the waiting

I hate the waiting lol

Should be a great pc and can sell old stuff to help pay for gpu 🙂 .. would love some pics when you complete your build.

5 hours ago, gamble said:

would love some pics when you complete your build.

oh I'll share for sure. Some of the bling might be fine in stages but we'll see

5 hours ago, gamble said:

Should be a great pc and can sell old stuff to help pay for gpu 

I hadn't even thought of that actually

All of my parts arrived yesterday but sadly Ive been unable to put them together as I have not been home yet, its so frustrating..

No i dont need patience, you need patience.. be quiet 😛

• Haha 1

The work finally begun before work this afternoon, this bit being home thing is really getting old but hey a start is a start right

received_2437886772926985.jpeg

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

So far all is running well, I haven't started playing with anything over lock wise yet though. 

I did accidentally slip a buy an extra 6TB bulk storage drive though (which was DOA and replaced this morning, it's currently looking very fancy in its unopened anti-state bag lol

Well things are going good, the replacement drive is going fine. But I'm tired of waiting for the downloads to finish through steam lol

First world problems am I right?