Sign in to follow this  
IvanTheTerrible

One sided journalism.

Were the hell do I start this rant?
A bit of back story may help. I live in weastern Victoria on the main highway from Melbourne. As long as I can remember the local stretch of the  highway has been a fucking death trap and has claimed countless lives so we were elated when it was announced that it was to be duplicated and eventually the town would be bypassed. So far they have duplicated the road from Melbourne, bypassed Ballarat and got as far as a little town called Buangor. On the last stretch from Beaufort things started to go south as a group of local Greenies started protesting the removal of trees which delayed the completion of the section. Since then the leader of the group has taken the state government and Vicroads to court so many times it has delayed construction on the current section for two years. Now last year she ran out of avenues for legal action so she called in Aboriginal activist form Melbourne telling them that one of the trees earmarked for removal was an ancient birthing tree. Now the whole project had already been approved by the local elders but this group somehow changed their minds. So more court cases ensued until finally they lost there last appeal but in a change of heart Vicroads said they would spare the two trees that were of a concern. So you'd think all was over. Nope, they then put in a native title claim, but only on the section of land that the road is on which just so happens to be owned by the leader of the Greenies

Now to the point of my complaint. SBS has twice sent a film crew to the site and only spoken to the aboriginals and nobody else. Not Vicroad, the government or any  locals. The newspapers and tv news are still reporting it as the aboriginals still trying to save the two trees that have already been saved and if I reply to any post on the SBS Viceland report or any news site I get called a racist. I challenged SBS to come back top Ararat and speak to the locals but that didn't get a reply.  Just for the record I do have Aboriginal ancestors.

Just four days ago a young lady lost control of her car on the approach to the area, I saw the car and I'm surprised how she survived.

Unfortunately not an isolated tale of woe.

Have you thought of beating SBS at the game and taking the crazy situation to TDT or similar ?

Noting to lose...

I think I actually know the stretch of road you are talking about, it is damned dangerous.

Cheers

No surprise.  There's featureless tracts of land sandwiched between suburbs in new areas here because of someone's protestations about threatened species of lizards that supposedly live there and virtually nowhere else.

It's just an attention grabbing thing, these morons otherwise have no lives and feel empowered and important by blocking the logical progress of urban infrastructure.

I don't mind some concerns if it means a better route is taken but I don't like it when things seem to get obstructionistic for the sake of it. Like 2 trees are the only 2 trees and there will be no more trees. All this stuff seems to be a result of all these concerns being almost completely ignored for ages and now everything has swung too far the other way. Hopefully it settles back to a sane position. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IvanTheTerrible said:

as a group of local Greenies

I stopped reading here. Everything that follows is predictable bullshit from the party of perpetually woke gender-fluid virtue signallers.

21 hours ago, chrisg said:

Unfortunately not an isolated tale of woe.

Have you thought of beating SBS at the game and taking the crazy situation to TDT or similar ?

Noting to lose...

I think I actually know the stretch of road you are talking about, it is damned dangerous.

Cheers

All the news media seems to be on their side. I wouldn't mind if they told the truth.

Today the Greens introduced  a bill in Vic parliament try to change the route. That means more tax payers money down the drain