Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Twinkie

Upgrading my good'ol R9 390 Graphics Card... Second hand 1070 for cheap or Powercolor Red Devil 5700?

I have been waiting to buy an AIB Navi for ages but the prices here are beyond MSRP.

So then my friend offered to sell me his Gigabyte Windforce 1070 for $250 in exchange for my R9 390. Then, I can wait for the prices to come down, more AIB models to be released or for a lower tier Navi card to be released.

The Powercolor Red Devil 5700 seems pretty nice for $649 AUD but that still feels like it could be cheaper. I also have to pay for shipping as I'm based in Sydney and it seems like PC Case Gear is the only one that supplies powercolor. 

I game on my 1440p 144hz monitor on both new and old games though I notice even in older games like shogun 2 total war, it can still lag a lot in 1440p.

I'm also a filmmaker who spends a lot of time video editing on both Adobe premiere and Davinci Resolve. I hear NVIDIA is more reliable than AMD for this stuff due to CUDA/Tensa cores being more stable than OpenCL.

What do you reckon I should do guys?

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

1070 are worth 300-350 and 390 are worth about 150-200

5700 is ~20% faster than 1070 and my 1070 was borderline for 1440p gaming when I purchased it at release with many games dropping below 60FPS even when overclocked to near GTX1080 speeds on water.

The XT is ~15% faster than the 5700

NEW MSI AMD Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC $546

Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC 8GB $617.65

NEW MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT EVOKE OC $653.65

Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB $702.65

Edited by Dasa
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Price subtract % add post.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dasa said:

Price subtract % add post.

me can math good lol

might be time to activate that free ebay plus trial 

Edited by the_13th

Not sure if you get free post with the ebay plus trial so those prices may be even lower.

27 minutes ago, Dasa said:

Not sure if you get free post with the ebay plus trial so those prices may be even lower.

I'll let you know if my budget stretches how I hope it will

Edited by the_13th

On 9/3/2019 at 8:01 AM, Dasa said:

1070 are worth 300-350 and 390 are worth about 150-200

5700 is ~20% faster than 1070 and my 1070 was borderline for 1440p gaming when I purchased it at release with many games dropping below 60FPS even when overclocked to near GTX1080 speeds on water.

The XT is ~15% faster than the 5700

NEW MSI AMD Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC $546

Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC 8GB $617.65

NEW MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT EVOKE OC $653.65

Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB $702.65

Thank you for the research man!

Sounds like you're on the side of the 5700 for the sake of value and longevity. 

I haven't seen many reviews of the gigabyte aftermarket cooler tho... Is it reliable? I've heard mixed things in terms of build quality in the past where they chucked nvidia coolers on vega chips and called it a day to terrifying results. 

I'm a bit anxious and shy of ebay warranties... but i guess i got no choice for physical retailers if i want to save some money. I guess i'm still very traditional in the sense i feel more comfortable rocking up to a shop to hand in something for warranty rather than post. I couldn't find if that ebay seller was sydney based or not. 

I have heard nasty things about the MSI EVOKE OC. 

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

58 minutes ago, Mr.Twinkie said:

Thank you for the research man! Sounds like you on the side of the 5700 for the sake of value and longevity. 

I haven't seen many reviews of the gigabyte aftermarket cooler tho... Is it reliable? I've heard mixed things in terms of build quality in the past where they chucked nvidia coolers on vega chips and called it a day to terrifying results. 

I'm a bit anxious and shy of ebay warranties... but i guess i got no choice for physical retailers if i want to save some money. I guess i'm still very traditional in the sense i feel more comfortable rocking up to a shop to hand in something for warranty rather than post. I couldn't find if that ebay seller was sydney based or not. 

is review I watched looks pretty good, 

Wow nice find!

It's an australian Youtuber as well with AUD pricing. How lovely!

Given gigabyte is a fairly common AIB, im not sure if i should just wait for MSY Tech or Mwave to have supply of it just so i have a physical location to return to for any warranty purposes. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Twinkie said:

It is better than stock just they skimped on the thermal pads so the memory runs a bit hot.

I think the XT is worth the extra myself.

Its worth noting that MSI also have the Mech OC but the XT hasnt hit retail in Australia yet (that Ive found) it doesnt have the same thermal pad issue.

And sadly my budget won't stretch far enough to buy now, will have to wait till next fn (unless im naughty and do it on finance (dont need it that much)

Retail in Australia has this 'Australia tax' on everything, so nothing is cheap here

21 hours ago, Mr.Twinkie said:

Wow nice find!

It's an australian Youtuber as well with AUD pricing. How lovely!

Given gigabyte is a fairly common AIB, im not sure if i should just wait for MSY Tech or Mwave to have supply of it just so i have a physical location to return to for any warranty purposes. 

PC Case Gear have it in stock, Im genuinely tempted to pay the extra for the same reason

20 hours ago, Dasa said:

100% agree. Given the price difference between them

4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Retail in Australia has this 'Australia tax' on everything, so nothing is cheap here

Thing I find interesting is that the 3 main online stores I keep an eye on (PC Case Gear, CentreCom & Scorptech) all have the same prices despite the fact theyre listed as on special on a couple of them. I havent been checking MSY but only because their pdf pricelists are a pain to read lol

Yeah i did some googling and Graphics cards that are DOA are almost impossible due to the quality tests every manufacturer before packaging. So i guess warranty worries are a bit died down when buying online. 

Gamers Nexus did a review of the Gigabye Gaming OC and they're fairly pleased with it. 

On 9/4/2019 at 5:08 PM, Dasa said:

Yeah I think you're right. But man would i love to save $100 and just get the 5700. 

But then in the long run, I'd do better with the 5700XT anyways.... Ahh the decision making! 

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

You could sell some of your old gear to help bring the price down for a new card too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gamble said:

You could sell some of your old gear to help bring the price down for a new card too. 

Yeah I probably will! 🙂