Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Twinkie

Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600mhz all good for Ryzen 2700X?

So I want to upgrade from my G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb 3200mhz to Trident Z Neo CL16 32gb 3600mhz for my video editing rig. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G-Skill-Trident-Z-Neo-RGB-32GB-2x-16GB-CL16-DDR4-3600MHz-Memory/303274574460?hash=item469c92c27c:g:-nIAAOSw6ZBdXMOa:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!2049!AU!-1 

The new Trident Z Neos look pretty good especially when they're ryzen optimised. However they're optimised for Ryzen 3000. 

Can Ryzen 2700X handle the 3600mhz clock after I give it the ol XMP treatment? Will it be stable? 

My research from Linus Tech Tips and Gamers Nexus made two camps where one said 3200mhz is much better value for 3rd Gen Ryzens while the other (Linus) says 3600mhz is the sweetspot for value and futureproofing. 

Any thoughts welcome! 

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

No Ryzen 2700X struggles to run 32GB at 3200 let alone 3600.

But you can set the speed manually to whatever it can handle then when you upgrade to 3950X you can run the higher speed.

You could also save some cash with this kit which probably uses micron chips capable of overclockng to 3600+

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-32gb-2x-16gb-ddr4-3200mhz-udimm-memory-grey-ac25548

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

My 2600x could only run 2933mhz even thou I had higher kits... 3200mhz was somewhat flaky... Sometimes it would run it.  You could set XMP/DOCP then set it to 2933 or possibly 3200mhz thou and still have a kit for future 3000 series. Basically what Dasa said.  But the 2000 series some have issues with even 2933, I did until bios updates and was stuck on 2666mhz for a good while.  With 3000 series I can clock up to 3733mhz with no issues but very little real world difference from 3600 to 3700mhz.  Depending on the board is t-top vs daisy, some like 4 dimms vs 2. 

• Like 1

Hmmmm good to know. I'll consider going below 3200mhz though I'm pretty sad that even that may not work on a Ryzen 2700X. I googled around before posting here and whilst people definitely didn't go 3600mhz, few people from the forums on Tom's Hardware and etc reported problems handling 3200mhz on their 2700X even if it's 32GB. Everyone was just saying you should definitely go dual and not quad. I guess better safe than sorry. 

If I get such an updated RAM set, i hope I don't have to update the BIOS to get it working... I imagine these days, the BIOS is something you don't wanna update unless you absolutely need to. The last thing i want is more instability as for some reason,  clicking or right clicking file explorer lags for a few seconds despite me disabling cortana and updating Windows 10 to it's latest minus the Cortana update that makes the CPU go bonkers. Heck sometimes if i get too impatient and spam click too fast on files explorer on the taskbar, the whole thing will lag and then explorer will restart. WTF. 

Currently, the 16gb Ripjaws i have is very happy running at 3200mhz. Windows Memory Diagonostic reported no problems with it at all. 

Not gonna lie, i do feel pretty set on that Trident Z Neo just because I know it is Ryzen optimised plus looks pretty nice as well. Especially if I want to upgrade to a higher tier third gen when the price drops after the fourth gen comes out (probably won't be AM4 compatible right? AMD promised until 2020 compatibility, and rumours are suggesting they are skipping the Ryzen 2+ and going straight to 3 just to twist the knife on Intel). 

I have never done anything beyond doing the XMP on the memory via BIOS. Can't the XMP detect automatically what's the most stable for my 2700X or will it do with the topmost speed which may not be stable and then I'll have to configure the speed down in case it botches? 

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

If you enable XMP and it is not stable it will be unstable or not post at worst get stuck in a post loop requiring you to reset the BIOS.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:35 PM, Dasa said:

You could also save some cash with this kit which probably uses micron chips capable of overclockng to 3600+

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-32gb-2x-16gb-ddr4-3200mhz-udimm-memory-grey-ac25548

So I checked this out and noticed it's not on the qualified vendors list pdf for my motherboard...

How strict are those things as I imagine it's a nightmare for any company to keep it updated and constantly test new ram kits that gets released after the motherboard is released.

Do a lot of new ram kits work on older motherboards or does it depend on the motherboard or its BIOS version or etc? Was I an idiot to think that something as new as the Trident Z Neo would even work with my motherboard and processor from last year? 

There was this Trident Z RGB for AMD 3200mhz 32gb kit (released last year i think) that i liked but on its QVL, it only said it's compatible with the Gaming Wifi 7 motherboard and not the model that i have which is the one below being the Gaming WIFI 5. How solid/black and white is that? Could it still work with my motherboard since the differences between the WIFI 5 and 7 can be negligible at times?

21 hours ago, gamble said:

My 2600x could only run 2933mhz even thou I had higher kits... 3200mhz was somewhat flaky... Sometimes it would run it.  You could set XMP/DOCP then set it to 2933 or possibly 3200mhz thou and still have a kit for future 3000 series. Basically what Dasa said.  But the 2000 series some have issues with even 2933, I did until bios updates and was stuck on 2666mhz for a good while.  With 3000 series I can clock up to 3733mhz with no issues but very little real world difference from 3600 to 3700mhz.  Depending on the board is t-top vs daisy, some like 4 dimms vs 2. 

Now that was a depressing read.

When you say sometimes it would run 3200mhz, is it just what Dasa has described where the pc makes it past POST and into desktop or can there be sudden BSODs or other things that happen with memory instability? Basically, what are the symptoms of memory instability?

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

1 hour ago, Mr.Twinkie said:

So I checked this out and noticed it's not on the qualified vendors list pdf for my motherboard...

How strict are those things as I imagine it's a nightmare for any company to keep it updated and constantly test new ram kits that gets released after the motherboard is released.

They can only test so many kits most should work fine they are just not tested but as mentioned the RAM can still only run at the level your MB\CPU combo will allow with a little tweaking.

The Micron chips are the same used on the G.Skill 3600 16-19-19 kits for AMD I believe just they haven't been as aggressively binned.

Mostly on reboots and cold start, it at times, with 3200mhz it would hang.  Even though it would pass all tests in windows, possibly since at the time i did not have an option for dimm boot voltage on my biostar mb.