Sign in to follow this  
Henry Pineapple

Whats everyones favourite movie and why??

🙂

I just recently watched "Olympus has fallen"  which really surprised me a bit.

Sure it's of a genre that dates back at least to "Die Hard" which should be on my list but once you get over the American ra-ra it is actually pretty good.

It helps that Morgan Freeman aside there are very few if any well known faces in it.

Cheers

Actually, the best movie of all time would have to be the almost three days of Game of Thrones. Bam. 

🙂

One of these days I'll get around to watching it  🙂

Cheers

5 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Actually, the best movie of all time would have to be the almost three days of Game of Thrones. Bam. 

imo that crown goes to Breaking Bad, i would have said by a nose, were it not for the waning quality of the latter seasons of GoT, but then once it is conjoined to the eventually complete Better Call Saul, no contest.

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 2

As usual I'm late to the party, just watched "World War Z."

I'm not usually much for zombie movies at all but as a bit of escapism it was not bad.

Basically I'm on a Netflix splurge whilst my sister and BinL are away this weekend, not that it would make much difference, we share an account - quite legally.

Cheers

🙂

Saw I will never watch , be assured of that.

Cheers

I have a few. They're old, but I love them.

The Changeling. I watched it as a teenager and was enthralled. I've watched it several times since.

Firestarter - the Soundtrack (by Tangerine Dream) is just as good

and Pet Sematary

Yes - I like Horror movies, including the Saw series.

On 9/11/2019 at 12:45 AM, Kimmo said:

Blues Brothers. 

The Incredibles (any Pixar is great) 

Moon 

Gravity

Fight Club

Gattaca 

Get Out

The Matrix

Ong Bak 

Apollo 13

A Scanner Darkly 

Waking Life

Once Upon A Time in China

Allegro Non Troppo

Raiders of the Lost Ark 

The Italian Job

Fargo

Raising Arizona

From Dusk Till Dawn

Bandidas

Rango

Mad Max 4

Paddington

Doctor Strangelove

Snatch

Back to the Future 1&2

Stand By Me

The Outsiders

Gettin Square

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

The Dressmaker 

Young Einstein

Drunken Master 

Police Story 

The Foreigner

Evil Dead 2

Frantic

Ghostbusters

The Frisco Kid

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Lord of the Rings series

Star Wars series (except fucken Jar Jar) 

Interstellar

Hellboy

How to Train Your Dragon

That's a bloody hoot. Top flick. 

Stand by Me - now that should make my list. That and Cube. 

On 9/11/2019 at 10:24 PM, Henry Pineapple said:

What did everyone think of the "human centipede" series? haha

I've watched them. The first was better than the others, but it still doesn't rate as a fave.

20 minutes ago, SacrificialNewt said:

I have a few. They're old, but I love them.

The Changeling. I watched it as a teenager and was enthralled. I've watched it several times since.

Firestarter - the Soundtrack (by Tangerine Dream) is just as good

and Pet Sematary

Yes - I like Horror movies, including the Saw series.

Stand by Me - now that should make my list. That and Cube. 

I've watched them. The first was better than the others, but it still doesn't rate as a fave.

I heard the second was in black and grey and the storyline was twice as twisted. I like pet sematary, one Stephen kings best movies..

43 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Saw I will never watch , be assured of that.

Cheers

yeah i couldnt watch as it was to gruesome for me.

The 1st saw wasn't bad. You felt like things were happening for a reason and you could follow the logic. The 2nd just seemed gruesome for the sake of it. After that I didn't want to watch any more. 

Can't really name one.  I'm not into movies in a big way but some I've found have repeat value so would be on the shortlist:

Mad Max 2, Star Wars IV - probably seen these more than any other movie.  Star Wars V though I'd rate slightly higher.

The Great Escape - plenty of war movies I like but probably the favourite, helped by the ensemble cast.

Star Trek 8:  First Contact, ST 6:  Undiscovered Country, ST 2: Wrath of Khan - hard to seperate but probably in that order.

Terminator 2, True Lies:  Probably his best 2.

Pulp Fiction - a bit tame compared to when it came out but groundbreaking, full of laughs and a great yarn.

Forrest Gump - the mark of a great movie is being able to generate the same emotions after seeing it a dozen times, and this does it.

42 minutes ago, Rybags said:

- the mark of a great movie is being able to generate the same emotions after seeing it a dozen times,

True that

1 hour ago, fliptopia said:

The 1st saw wasn't bad. You felt like things were happening for a reason and you could follow the logic. The 2nd just seemed gruesome for the sake of it. After that I didn't want to watch any more. 

but you saw them all anyway

and soon : saw - the director's cut

Heh, director's cut with Saw would HAVE to be a play on words...

I'd sort of forgotten Ton Hanks movies, which is a massive oversight.

Apollo 13 was brilliant, probably had to be slightly simplified but came as close as it could to what happened. Hanks was good in it of course, but so was Gary Sinise and Kevin Bacon and the late lamented Bill Paxton.  (Which does remind me who can over look Aliens ? )

The Terminal really was very clever and based on real happenings.

As already noted Forrest Gump just is a great, great movie. I really must re-watch it.

Cheers

Star Wars Ep IV - 4yr old me loved that movie, it was like nothing else I had seen before and probably started a healthy interest in space and science in general. I really do enjoy all the Star Wars movies truth be told and will probably watch them all before I go and see the Rise of Skywalker.

The Last Starfighter

The 5th Element

The Guardians of the Galaxy

The Matrix

The Muppet Movie

Big Hero 6

The Lord of the RIngs Series

The Beastmaster

The Terminator 1 & 2

Krull

Spaceballs

Aliens

Movies that I can make references to, that will make my wife laugh tend to get on my favourites list, some however make it just because 🙂

he was very convincing in american splendor (which on a quick google notably saw him winning the best breakthrough actor award and being nominated for 5 other best actor awards)

there's some great movies in that list

I need to catch up on Tarantino's recent stuff - so there might be an additional one or two I could add.

Suppose I should add a few Bond movies - it always comes back to the 60s-70s classics though like Diamonds are Forever, Goldfinger and The Spy who Loved me.

The Matrix 

The OG, the first one. The sequels were not good. But this movie, in it's time, was ground breaking. Each time I watched it, I picked up something new, and got more out of it with every viewing. How many movies can you watch multiple times and feel like you saw something new each time? I am not a movie person, generally I feel like if I have seen it once, that's it I dont need to see it again. Not with The Matrix - very complex and a lot to appreciate and take in. Love this movie the most. This was actually the first movie I saw on DVD, with director commentary. I had never seen director and cast commentary before, so it was amazing to learn more about the making of the movie, behind the scenes and everything involved. It literally blew my mind at the time.

Moulin Rouge

I actually hated this movie the first time I saw it, but it grew on me to become the most influential musicals on me. At the time, this was the first musical I had seen, so it was different to what I had known and maybe why I didn't like it on first viewing, but the music and the songs, the medleys all resonated and opened my world to musical theatre and performance. Thank you Baz Lurman. Freedom, Beauty, Truth and Love. I think I know every line in this movie... "the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return" ❤️ 

Grease

It's a classic! I love this movie. I do like my musicals lol. 

Edited by CheekyChops

The mention of Baz, and I go directly to Strictly Ballroom. I'm not sure it's had quite as many views as the original Star Wars trilogy, but it's count is up there .

hands down favourite has to go to Shrek - i watched it when it first came out, in the cinemas as a teenager... went with my uncle, little cousins, and grandparents, and all of us laughed all the way through - it just has such a range of clever humour throughout, and is a feel-good story to boot!

• Like 1

🙂

It is an all round favorite indeed Cisco, my kids still give it a spin from time to time.

Cheers

On 16/09/2019 at 5:46 PM, eveln said:

The mention of Baz, and I go directly to Strictly Ballroom. I'm not sure it's had quite as many views as the original Star Wars trilogy, but it's count is up there .

baz luhrmann just annoys me as a cinematographer - he's like the tarantino of kitsch versus violence

romeo + juliet was just way too loud, as was moulin rouge

cheeky, if you liked moulin rouge, then try to catch up with dennis potter's tv series of "lipstick on my collar" :  ewan mcgregor in fine voice, and the blessed absence of nicole kidman (don't get me started on her vocal abilities)

and if you like that, the singing detective by potter as well = total win !

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:
On 16/09/2019 at 5:46 PM, eveln said:

baz luhrmann just annoys me as a cinematographer - he's like the tarantino of kitsch versus violence

Hah ! If not for that Tarantino-eskness Strictly ballroom might not have worked quite so well. I am not quite done with repeat viewing

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

romeo + juliet was just way too loud, as was moulin rouge

I didn't like the entirety of either of those movies but there are moments ( particularly in MR ) that I dearly loved. Listening to Nicole sing was a bit more tolerable than listening to Olivia Newton-John.