Sign in to follow this  
scruffy1

asus vivotab

yeah, i got one

the fucker is locked to win8, which i detest, and it appears that he bios is hard locked to prevent me tossing the o.s for any flavour of linux

or indeed anything but win 8, and the cpu can't run win10 due to incompatibility, even at 32bit (which the cpu is)

apart from using it as projectile, which i am considering, is there any plausible way to unlock redmond's bastardry  ?  i feel i have wasted too many precious bodily fluids on the attempt

I'm guessing maybe these things use WIMBOOT which means changing the OS wouldn't be straightforward.

A quick search seems to indicate little about running Win10 on one.  Seems to be Bios updates for some of the series but I'd be researching what if any benefits they might bring.

ClassicShell can help - I put it on my Win 8 Pendo tablet and it makes it much more usable.  There's little difference visually between Win8 and Win10 when running it, so you can file to the back of your mind that 8 is less efficient and stable etc.

I suspect most tablets are BIOS locked the the original OS (version is another issue).

I've dealt with a few hybrid tablet/notebooks and for the most part they're fairly flexible.

But yeah, generally the low end stuff with the scabby 16, 32 or 64 Gig soldered in MMC SSDs don't let you change much.

Maybe you can load Win 10? Linux might have issues with drivers anyway ... tablets have weird hardware

Edited by Jeruselem

it has some weird condition that means win10  is broken by whatever the equivalent of the service pack is at one point in the updates

i read all about it a while ago, and gave up on 10

but linux in any flavour ... the usb flashes like it's being read, and then there's nothiong; any esc or enter and shazam! here's win8 again

and yes, i used the win7 shell but it's still a piece of shit

there is no possibility to circumvent the lockdown

thanks asus, for doing an apple-worthy job of forcing redundancy

Is there a previous Win10 release that worked on it?

I've got some old ones here probably going back to mid 2016.  Proper MS ISOs, not dodgy torrented hack-jobs.

Just checked - as it happens the Windows downloader program that you can grab at https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

still seems to be able to grab old versions going back to 2015.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

not dodgy torrented hack-jobs.

Who even bothers with those anymore when MS gives it away for free, willingly?

Is it capable of USB booting?

thanks for the suggestions

i've done all that stuff already

there was a site that explains that the particular cpu is unable to "do" win10 after one of the patches

an older distro might be able, but then it would be vulnerable to everything that exploits older stuff

and it's not that useful to me (other than to play with linux, which it won't)

The trouble with Linux is it's written for x86 hardware commonly found and used, oddball hardware put on cheap tablets isn't worth the effort to code stuff for.

I've been using it for near 3 years on Macbook Pros.

The problem is that it'll likely be of little use in getting another OS installed - it only scans for bootable partitions with OSes already installed.

15 hours ago, Rybags said:

The problem is that it'll likely be of little use in getting another OS installed - it only scans for bootable partitions with OSes already installed.

my understanding is, people have had some success transferring images from VMs / live distros + some kludges to make a 32bit EFI work with GRUB.

A sorta-beginner’s guide to installing Ubuntu Linux on 32-bit UEFI machines (Lenovo Ideapad - but should be applicable).

Fedora has been on it: Some x86 systems ship with a 64 bit CPU, but 32 bit UEFI firmware. It is possible to use a 32 bit UEFI grub build to boot a 64 bit kernel and distribution on these systems. So far this setup has not been supported in Fedora. This feature is about adding support for installing and booting Fedora on this hardware.

some possible Android-x86 and ArchLinux  solutions.

but i think THIS looks the biz: Customizing Ubuntu ISOs: Documentation and examples of how to use 'isorespin.sh'

On 9/25/2019 at 10:58 PM, scruffy1 said:

and the cpu can't run win10 due to incompatibility, even at 32bit (which the cpu is)

what is the exact CPU?