Sign in to follow this  
hulkster

Mobile phones and drivers

Part of my job is out and about on the roads around Tassie. What I have noticed in the last few years is the level of road rage seems to have increased quite a bit.  I have been known to have a moment with dickhead drivers but I do try to not get too carried away. Sometimes bloody hard not to. 

What I am also noticing is drivers calling people out on their phones. Most that get caught drop the phones and pretend they didn't see or hear the person giving them a serve. 

Unfortunately it seems to be P platers the majority of the time. So not sure if older drivers are getting the message or are better at hiding the fact they have fingers on phones. Two days ago I was hit by a chick on her Ps at the lights.  Lights were red we were all waiting and I saw her in the rear vision mirror flat out on her phone texting. Lights went green we all moved forward except for her and the cars behind her as she was still texting madly.  Someone hit the horn and she took off . Now the next set of lights were red so we all stopped, except for her. I saw her coming, looking down at her lap, then at traffic, then lap.  She left the braking too late and just tapped my work car. Bugger all damage but I gave her a serve.  Im 6'3" and 115 kilos and was angry.  She denied she was on her phone, said she was looking at her " watch" . Then she started to cry. I felt bad.  I apologised and said all good, no damage as such, be careful next time and see ya later.

Next FUCKEN set of lights she pulled up next to me and was on her fucken phone texting away.  

Crazy chick.  She will end up causing or being a statistic.

• Sad 1

This really boils my piss.

I ride my motherbike to work these days. Lane filtering is legal in NSW so I do it quite a bit travelling through Sydney during peak-hour.

The amount of drivers I see on their phones is astonishing. I see so much more of it on my bike as I am at their level cruising past at low speed in traffic.

I started kniocking on their windows and pointing at their phones...and yeah they get shit scared and drop them...probably because my bike is white and first reaction is they think I am a copper.

But I've given up knocking now becaus there are just too many instances of it, I can't keep up.

If I am at lights and stopped. I get them to wind their window down and I calmly tell them that me as a bike rider, they are actually putting my life at serious risk.

Nobody seems to give a fuck!

The fines have increased for mobile phone usage and also 5 demerit points. Long weekends it's 10 points!

Let's see if anything changes.

I deadset fear for my life when I see people drifting in and out of lanes.

She needs to be reported ASAP.

fucksake, I can't fathom that crying still works as an escape route.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eveln said:

She needs to be reported ASAP.

fucksake, I can't fathom that crying still works as an escape route.

Yep. I felt bad because I gave her a serve, was yelling at her about her stupidity.  That's when the tears started. 

6 minutes ago, hulkster said:

Yep. I felt bad because I gave her a serve, was yelling at her about her stupidity.  That's when the tears started. 

Yeah, given what happened next, I 'reckon your "serve" is a confront she is well used to . 'Tears to the rescue !", is probably her motto

• Like 1

Will try and find an interesting article from about a month ago. (Was in the local dead tree edition, so might be hard to find)

Someone did a study of a bunch of injury/fatality accidents from the last year or two where 'distraction' was a significant factor, and out of about 50 accidents

4 were mobile phone related, and only 1 was related to someone illegally using their phone/texting, the other 3 were legally using hands free.

Distracted by  kids in the back seat were about double the phone related total.

Arguing with the front seat passenger, personal grooming, reading maps, changing the radio* were all in the 3-5 category

Daydreaming/thinking about work/whatever made for a crappy day was about half the cause.

The study indicated that phones were not that different to many other distractions - so it seems the persecution of it is out of whack with the impact it causes (although we all seem to have stories about near misses or minor accidents caused by someone)

However while some things (like emotional distraction and people) are difficult to address, phone handling is pretty easy, so I don't really have a problem with applying pressure to the things that can be practically policed - far better than wasting effort on creating unenforcable laws.

* 'Infotainment systems'  in modern cars are shite for ergonomics of use while driving compared to care sound systems of old. Touch screens with nil haptic feedback or points of references require your eyes to leave the road and focus on soft buttons and dynamic displays are poor. Voice recognition and steering wheel controls help a lot, but they only cover 80% of interactions - for the rest, it's pretty dangerous to consider operating the infotainment system while the car is in motion.

7 minutes ago, stadl said:

* 'Infotainment systems'  in modern cars are shite for ergonomics of use while driving compared to care sound systems of old. Touch screens with nil haptic feedback or points of references require your eyes to leave the road and focus on soft buttons and dynamic displays are poor. Voice recognition and steering wheel controls help a lot, but they only cover 80% of interactions - for the rest, it's pretty dangerous to consider operating the infotainment system while the car is in motion.

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. 

11 minutes ago, stadl said:

Touch screens with nil haptic feedback or points of references require your eyes to leave the road and focus on soft buttons and dynamic displays are poor.

Yay I'm not the only one. It's one reason I am hanging on to my old aftermarket radio/mp3 player. Not a single touch screen in sight, all physical buttons that can be felt.

i ride a motorbike, and agree that phone use is way too prevalent in traffic

on the open road, maybe less so due to driving requirements, but in stop / start situations, there are simply way too many drivers using any opportunity to look at a screen

as for fatalities - sure, that supports my observations - but if they researched "minor" bingles, guaranteed the phone would be #1 contributor

ffs, how many vacant pedestrians walk onto the road texting, without a thought to potentially lethal situations

at lights it's even worse, as the "dook dook dook" noises for the visually impaired mean that the screen-obsessed don't even glance up, they just proceed like zombies on their way to a brain smorgasbord

phone immersion out in public places is a pet hate, and quite a reasonable one

1 minute ago, scruffy1 said:

ffs, how many vacant pedestrians walk onto the road texting, without a thought to potentially lethal situations

I crossed the lights on foot a month or so back and some twit was face down on his phone, ear phones in,  I realised we were on a collision path but I didn't deviate. He walked straight into me.  I'm not a small guy, he actually kinda bounced off me.  Told him to look where he was fucken going but he didn't care. Just kept walking.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

natural selection is too slow for my wish to see such behaviours disappeared

Edited by scruffy1

People on mobiles and on foot annoy me the most, totally vacant and wander all over the place.

S.A. seems to be on a bit of an OTT thing with 'phone use in cars though, my BinL's sister - whatever relation that is to me, was booked a few months back whilst sitting parked but with her engine still on, purely for aircon.

I don't think she bothered to fight it but that really is ridiculous.

I quite often do turn on GPS at the first set of lights that stop me on the way to a place I've not been before - I'm stationary and it only takes a second because the destination is pre-programmed but the first few streets I tend to know quicker ways to get on the main route.  I suppose that is illegal as well, which is OTT in my opinion.

Actually answering the 'phone even with hands free, let alone texting, no, I do not do it. I did when I had a hands-free kit in my car, but being it does not feature Blu-tooth it can wait until I'm stationary.

It can be a demand problem in the world of today, you are supposed to be always contactable, which I do not think of in a positive light at all.

Cheers

2 hours ago, stadl said:

Ive had a couple of cars I've not bought purely on the making everything (including aircon etc) only available through touch screen. It looks cool but it's not practical for driving. 

Posted (edited)

One of my biggest pet hates to be honest!  I see it often enough in our little country town let alone in a city.  I tell everyone - if I don't answer to flip me a text and I will get to them as soon as I've parked my vehicle.  Saw a moped come to grief in front of our shop a couple of years ago - young girl - phone in one hand, coffee in the other.   She copped a bit of bitumen grazing, but very lucky that was all.  And its not just vehicle drivers - it's school kids, walking home from or to school, on their phones texting madly just wandering out in front of vehicles without even bothering to look because, you know, the car / truck can pull up on a 10 cent piece.  I live and work in a school zone so yeah its a pretty frequent sight.

Edited by DEVERE

1 hour ago, DEVERE said:

Saw a moped come to grief in front of our shop a couple of years ago - young girl - phone in one hand, coffee in the other.

On a moped? FFS talk about asking for trouble.

On 10/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, aliali said:

On a moped? FFS talk about asking for trouble.

Yeah - and she got it!  Straight up the arse of a car, luckily for her she wasn't hurt, just a bit of road rash.

I don't see what the big deal with phones is, or rather should be...

Whether it's an absent person or a present one you're having a conversation with, what's the difference? The key aspect is that you give the driving process priority over the talking process. How is that fucken rocket science? Let your conversation suffer, not the safety of other road users. FFS.

The amount of utter fucken morons bouncing around out there blows my mind. Here's a thought - just imagine, if governments actually required prospective motorists to demonstrate actual competence! Just a crazy thought out of left field. 

The phone is a distraction, simple as that.  The simple demonstration being that the simple act of walking without running into other people is severely impeded as well.

the deal with phones is that very few people have a conversation on them

they are either texting someone, reading facepage, or playing candy crush - most of which requires at least one hand off the steering, and in any of them usually involves looking anywhere but at the road

even the actual premise of mobile phone is bullshit; the "mobile" is actually a mobile computer, and the phone aspect has fuck all to do with most people's application for it

it's a rare event to see anyone actually  talking on the phone, as in, up to their ear and conversing - my observation is most people are staring at it

perhaps it needs re-branding as "the little flatscreen"?

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

it's a rare event to see anyone actually  talking on the phone, as in, up to their ear and conversing - my observation is most people are staring at it

My one is a work phone. It gets used for phone and pics  etc. connected with work ... and these days, I've broken my 'golden rule' and do post on atomic when shit be excruciatingly dull at work. Am seriously contemplating abstaining from atomic during work hours, though. Just lately I get the giggles with a couple of the threads and well it looks sorta weird I think.

I drove past a femme tonight who was distracted and swerving out of her lane ... thing is I don't care if she smashes her car in a single vehicle crash. Some people need to really feel the consequences. She probably will include others in her stupidity though.

The other day I caught, also in passing, the female driver in an ambulance with the phone held up to her ear .

Edited by eveln

Another thing I've noticed which is becoming more prevalent is people driving with headphones in. Plugs or earbuds. And both ears, too.
Not a good idea.
I'm not even sure if that's illegal or what?

If not, should be.

16 minutes ago, eveln said:

The other day I caught, also in passing, the female driver in an ambulance with the phone held up to her ear .

634a75d34619acddd88e1573095c4e49?width=1

1 hour ago, twinair said:

Another thing I've noticed which is becoming more prevalent is people driving with headphones in. Plugs or earbuds. And both ears, too.
Not a good idea.

If not, should be.

Mein Gott !!

WTF is it with femme drivers in uniform ????

Anything used to multi-task while driving a vehicle should be illegal.

If I'd had head phones on tonight, I wouldn't have noted the police divvy-van behind me till it was up my arse trying to get past me . Yes it had flashing lights too, but the section of road curved behind me. So I heard it first, which gave me time to sidle off the road without causing me or anyone else any bother.

Ambulance?  Looks like the blue+white checkerboard of a cop car to me.  Most ambos these days have the high-vis combo of white+red+yellow/lime green.

MoUDetail-EB19880F-0BEA-4519-94DF-574FAE

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Ambulance?  Looks like the blue+white checkerboard of a cop car to me.

Yep. You be right Rybags, but that's twinair's contribution. I didn't have a pic of my femme ambo driver ... I was busy driving 😉

Edited by eveln

10 hours ago, twinair said:

Not a good idea.

If not, should be.

What is going on with that other arm that look like it is also steering? Looks like photoshopping between the steering wheel and that hand. 

on a second look the cops arm is photoshopped to hold a steering wheel and the dash is jammed in there too. It’s kinda terrible.

Edited by fliptopia