Sign in to follow this  
hulkster

Mobile phones and drivers

57 minutes ago, eveln said:

Lordy @Cybes and @SacrificialNewt ! I know the diff between the ambos and police ... 😛

I've just seen what the problem was....when I posted my pic and quoted you, I seem to have inserted the pic in your quote.

Now everyone's on YOUR case hahahaha

Edit: Inserting my pic in your quote... is not innuendo.

Edited by twinair

2 hours ago, twinair said:

I've just seen what the problem was....when I posted my pic and quoted you, I seem to have inserted the pic in your quote.

Now everyone's on YOUR case hahahaha

Edit: Inserting my pic in your quote... is not innuendo.

And so I said to Rybags, but nope !

That doesn't matter.

... and 're your edit : good to know

14 hours ago, fliptopia said:

What is going on with that other arm that look like it is also steering? Looks like photoshopping between the steering wheel and that hand. 

on a second look the cops arm is photoshopped to hold a steering wheel and the dash is jammed in there too. It’s kinda terrible.

i think part of the weirdness may be from a reflection of the vehicle the camera is in.

CbC65AY.jpg

See now I didn't realise it was illegal to drink water or coffee or the like whilst driving. I'm guilty of this :(  not very often mind, but yeah

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-10/man-fined-for-drinking-water-at-the-wheel/11589030

but I guess distraction is distraction .

"

A Beaudesert man has been fined $173 by Queensland Police for drinking water from a 600ml plastic bottle at the wheel.

Brock Harris had finished a 12-hour day at work when he got into his car to drive home and found his air conditioner was not working.

"I stopped and bought a bottle of water and as I was pulling into my street I was pulled over by the police and told it was illegal to drink anything while driving," "

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

i think part of the weirdness may be from a reflection of the vehicle the camera is in.

Needs more resolution. 

37 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

CbC65AY.jpg

Nah...in NSW Police cars at least, not sure about other states, they have a lot of tech hardware hanging off the dash....passenger was leaning their arm on this display to the left, which is movable, on a swivel thing.

r1355156_19009539.jpg

2 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Needs more resolution. 

Look at the elbows...two different arms.

Not to mention the hand in the foreground has fingers wrapped around the steering wheel...background doesn't.

I've had the grand tour...my cousin is a NSW police officer and her husband is a NSW police detective.

1 minute ago, twinair said:

Nah...in NSW Police cars at least, not sure about other states, they have a lot of tech hardware hanging off the dash....passenger was leaning their arm on this display to the left, which is movable, on a swivel thing.

r1355156_19009539.jpg

Look at the elbows...two different arms.

I can see that. Her hand on the wheel looks weird. Might be motion blur. It gets a bit pixelated though around there. Also probably doesn't help that I'm viewing it on a phone (not whilst driving). 

LOL the old pixels don't match!

Look at her hand, you can see a thumb. 

The hand in the background you can only see a knuckle. Whoever is in the passenger seat has their RIGHT arm rested on the swivel display which makes complete sense given it's kinda in the middle of the dash.

It's not a photoshop lol Yeah it does look weird, but those arms are not parallel.

Reason for the pixels is this pic has been raped a million times.

If I can find one of the original ones it would be in a higher resolution.

driver's left hand fingers are completely in shadow, and yeah, thats the passenger's right hand.  figured that coil pattern was a CB cord or similar.

the weirdness i am talking about is that vertical smudge that seems to overlap the steering wheel

If BC was here, he'd have a field day with that pic.

Worst shit on the road... tailgaters, closely followed by mobile phone users.  And a not to distant third are all the retards who have NFI how to use roundabouts.

7 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Worst shit on the road... tailgaters, closely followed by mobile phone users. 

... and no lights on at dusk / dawn. That shits me such a lot, cos usually they're also the ones in a hurry to overtake  too. I get in the car these days and just turn my lights on . Sure I spend more time on a country highway, but I notice in around the towns it's

handy wrt traffic unfamiliar with the area. They seeeee me.

31 minutes ago, Rybags said:

And a not to distant third are all the retards who have NFI how to use roundabouts.

the ones that try to change lanes at dumb times are the most dangerous. 

the ones that stop dead and proceed to wait for cars that havent even entered the roundabout yet, or won't get moving when its obvious the car coming around on their right will exit before it reaches them, are the most annoying.

39 minutes ago, eveln said:

... and no lights on at dusk / dawn. That shits me such a lot, cos usually they're also the ones in a hurry to overtake  too. I get in the car these days and just turn my lights on . Sure I spend more time on a country highway, but I notice in around the towns it's

handy wrt traffic unfamiliar with the area. They seeeee me.

yeah, not a fan of you daylight headlight terrorists.  its y'all that ruin the perfectly fine low light vision of the rest of us.  when 99% of the cars have no lights on, a close encounter with one of you eager beavers suddenly makes every other car that much harder to see.

the disparity is funny sometimes, when only the traffic going one way has lights on.   for example, commuters driving away from the setting sun who've forgotten to take their sunglasses off or who are fresh from irradiating their eyeballs at a 7-11 and seem to think its night time, and meanwhile, people in the town theyre passing though are stepping out to play 18 holes before it gets dark.

13 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

yeah, not a fan of you daylight headlight terrorists.  its y'all that ruin the perfectly fine low light vision of the rest of us.  when 99% of the cars have no lights on, a close encounter with one of you eager beavers suddenly makes every other car that much harder to see.

the disparity is funny sometimes, when only the traffic going one way has lights on.   for example, commuters driving away from the setting sun who've forgotten to take their sunglasses off or who are fresh from irradiating their eyeballs at a 7-11 and seem to think its night time, and meanwhile, people in the town theyre passing though are stepping out to play 18 holes before it gets dark.

Perhaps it's about the environment one drives in then.

When a car is approaching, and it's colour ( with no lights on ) blends into the colour of the road and the dusking sky and the car behind me is an eager beaver but hasn't seen the 'camouflaged' approaching car  ... shit can get too real.

Just because you can see quite well in your unlit vehicle, does not mean others can see you with the same clarity. At the least having parking lights on is a help.

23 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

its y'all that ruin the perfectly fine low light vision of the rest of us.  when 99% of the cars have no lights on, a close encounter with one of you eager beavers suddenly makes every other car that much harder to see.

... but don't motor bikes have to have their headlight always on ?

Well,

It does depend upon the size of the roundabout, and its orientation in terms of entrance lanes.

There are a few dreadful ones here in S.A I'm not sure which is worse,  Blackwood, which they say they have improved,  or the enduring chaos of the big one on Fullerton Road. I just do my utmost to avoid both.

WA has a different problem, far too many, really, really small roundabouts where there really is no sensible indicating option.

I totally agree, most people do not really know how to deal with roundabouts and the Highway Code is not much help.

Lights,  it depends, my car has very low driving lights, they won't dazzle you but the make me visible to you, I'm always a bit surprised more cars do not have them. Essentially they fill in the gap that most headlights have but they are very useful in daylight to dusk conditions. I just leave them on all the time because my car is a quite dark colour.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, eveln said:

Perhaps it's about the environment one drives in then.

When a car is approaching, and it's colour ( with no lights on ) blends into the colour of the road and the dusking sky and the car behind me is an eager beaver but hasn't seen the 'camouflaged' approaching car  ... shit can get too real.

Just because you can see quite well in your unlit vehicle, does not mean others can see you with the same clarity. At the least having parking lights on is a help.

... but don't motor bikes have to have their headlight always on ?

in your approaching car example, the car behind you wants to overtake you via the oncoming traffic lane, yes?  i can definitely see that being a problem.

yeah, its environmental.  and lights always on is certainly the safest thing over all. 

its just that small window of time leading into dusk ...when the early birds can make things more dangerous in my opinion.  like, its late afternoon and i am looking for a gap to turn right into a fast moving main road and everybody, and i mean everybody, has their headlights off (because its still day time for quite a while yet!), except that is, for the terrorist who blasts me with his as he turns left into the road i am exiting, and suddenly there's 'camouflaged' cars on my left because of him.  its not like ive never been the first one in a group of traffic to turn my lights on, but in general, if the street lights arent on, then mine arent either. 

7 hours ago, @~thehung said:

if the street lights arent on, then mine arent either.

In that time frame before full light and full dark many things cannot be seen as early or easily imo.  Granted city driving it's definitely more about up close and quick time, which means reflexes are working in time with hopefully clear vision. So I can see that headlights would be an issue, I'd still have my parkers on though ( just cos I'm stubborn like that  ) as that little bit of light says " hello I'm here ;) " to the bored driver doing their best to get home before too much time has passed.

Street lights in small towns don't also have lighting from lots of bill boards and buildings or even traffic lights ( what are they ?? ) as well, so even if the street lights are on, the surrounds are still quite dark ;)

And so, muted or dark coloured cars disappear until they turn their lights on.

9 hours ago, @~thehung said:

yeah, not a fan of you daylight headlight terrorists

LOL!

I have no choice. When my motorbike ignition is switched on, so are the headlights.

2 hours ago, twinair said:

LOL!

I have no choice. When my motorbike ignition is switched on, so are the headlights.

Yep. I made that reference earlier too ...

43 minutes ago, eveln said:

Yep. I made that reference earlier too ...

I don't mind tbh....as a rider I want to be as visible as possible!

5 hours ago, eveln said:

Street lights in small towns don't also have lighting from lots of bill boards and buildings or even traffic lights ( what are they ?? ) as well, so even if the street lights are on, the surrounds are still quite dark 😉

And so, muted or dark coloured cars disappear until they turn their lights on.

i am saying when sensors have triggered the street lights to come on — which tends to err on the side of early (especially on a super dank overcast day) — that is a good cue for everyone.

speaking of sensors, if we are going to have cars that beep stupidly when you put shopping on the passenger seat without its seatbelt on, we might as well have parking lights that come on automatically in anything but bright sunlight.

• Like 1

Speaking of sensors...what I am loving these days is when lane filtering and watching everyone's wing mirrors flash orange as I approach and then go bright red when they assume there will be a collision. The driver's faces, oh lordy!

• Haha 1