Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

Go Greta, go !!

It really is if rather confusing what Greta Thunberg has achieved in little over a year.

She has people actually talking about climate change and has caught the attention, mostly in a negative manner, of significant people up to and including Putin and Trump.

Trump tried to dismiss her,  that didn't work, Putin wanted to belittle her, likewise, I did find his argument particularly stupid. He wanted to maintain that third world nations had the right to pollute to achieve a society on a par with Sweden.

That sort of overlooks the pragmatic fact the earth probably cannot survive that without a dramatic die back including mass extinctions, that may not exclude the human race.

It also overlooks that the first world have been dumping their refuse in third world countries, like Bangladesh, for decades and that some third world nations actually have no interest in becoming industrialised.  That holy grail seems rather pointless if it destroys your way of life and sentences your children to lingering illnesses.

That a 16 year old girl with admitted on-spectrum disorder can achieve that, to the point that Queenslanders are wanting to propose to cut off welfare to the Friday marchers in some asinine attempt to obstruct free speech says something about the very right not to be denied the right to object.

Obviously it is a very, very complex problem but she is absolutely correct in standing up to the old guard who really are not doing that much, just protecting their way of life with little regard for the future.

Climate change is demonstrable and it has the signs of becoming an avalanche if we do not change our ways, which is not exactly what Trump or Putin or Morrison or most any of the others currently at the helm are doing.

There's always Jeremy Clarkson and Sam the twat from the Footie Show wanting to try to put her down of course - wrong move idiots, you just advanced her cred.

Now she seems to be in the running for a Nobel.

Probably too much too soon but she does not seem in any way to be the sort to let much of anything go to her head.

She may just be the wake up call that the self-serving idiots need.

The thing I find most compelling about her is she really has only one agenda, to shame people into action.

That's very aspie, one of my daughter's is undiagnosed with probably that syndrome, it might be the saving of us all.

That sounds terribly dramatic but I doubt that it is, the planet is closer to a tipping point and collapse than we probably realise or want to admit to, the clock is indeed ticking.

We all need to do something, however little it may seem. Me, I'm being way more conscientious than ever with my rubbish generation and contemplating other ways to reduce my footprint. It doesn't take much if we all pitch in but it is a one-way trip, cannot be good today and expect a leave pass tomorrow.

Worth pondering upon.

Trust me Gaia does not care, the planet will endure, up to us if we do.

Cheers

• Like 1

Individual action isn't worth a pinch of shit; emphasis keeps getting placed on that sideshow to distract from the fact that most governments are too corrupt to pull industry into line. 

Meanwhile, the corporate media keep trying to pretend it's not even a problem, just keep buying our sponsors' goods and services. The marketing lets you know how much more fulfilled and whole you'll feel with a bunch more useless shit to unwrap. 

Greta is great. Piss-ant shitcanning of her is motivated by nothing more than denialism and/or misogyny. 

Probably both Kimmo.

I admire her particularly for taking such a stand at such a young age, as a girl, and particularly for the evil eye she gave the Trump at the UN.

Individual action yes, very limited, it just happens that her individual action has generated such a ground swell that the big boys are trying to marginalise her and actually calling more attention to the cause.

You have to love that 🙂

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

It really is if rather confusing what Greta Thunberg has achieved in little over a year.

The thing I find most compelling about her is she really has only one agenda, to shame people into action.

I think that is the important thing, and I hope it works.

I know it needs to be done, I procrastinate, and wish it could be solved some other way, but I really know that just like paying taxes, saving money, checkups with the doctor/dentist, and being sun smart - Things need to be done, they will hurt or be a PITA - but it's for my own good.

My lifestyle will suffer - in ways that compared to the consequences of no action are quite a fair trade - in order to accomplish important things not just for the greater good, but for my good as well in the long term.

Yes I agree stadl, whilst we are not exactly of the same generation we've had a pretty good run to date but there are some changes that we all need to make.

My concern has to be that Greta not get drowned out by a tsunami of "me tos" but whilst I do not in any way know her I do know a few friends with aspie inclinations, daughter included - they tend not to allow themselves to be drowned out and stubbornness is hard wired into their DNA.

I wont jinx her but I suspect we are seeing the gestation of a new leader.

Cheers

the end of the world has been coming for more than 100 years, teens have always been more woke to it, old farts like us have seen it all before

see more; the atomic bomb, communism, Vietnam, AIDS

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

the end of the world has been coming for more than 100 years

Yep, since the steam engine was invented, and the financial services sector became a thing. 

Cunts don't realise 'the world', ie people and their navel-gazing, is just a LARP. There's an actual world outside of that, and it's getting pretty fucken crook. Soon, no amount of fun tickets will obscure that. 

Edited by Kimmo

Greta is good on the podium, just not so good at impromptu interviews .

Hey Kimmo,  that porta loo you took your Selfi in is made out of all sorts of nasty things. And what about the building site you're working at, I bet that's just chock full of wonderful planet saving stuff too ... So I guess you must be a cunt too 🙂

No argument, we've been in trouble since the industrial "revolution."

A simpler if more frugal life once existed but nostalgia will not bring it back.

Heinlein always advocated getting off-planet, the nest is either full, or too precious to contain all the eggs, or both.  I agree with him but we are not going to achieve that any time soon so we need to take better care of what we have.

Hmm, madam disruption arrived....

Greta doesn't really need to be good at impromptu interviews, in fact I hope she persists in not being so - spontaneity carries more weight.

I don't imagine Kimmo had much if any influence over his porta loo or the site he is on, although builders actually can tend to be very environmentally aware. not the builders of high-rise so much but basic housing yes.

Cheers

27 minutes ago, eveln said:

Hey Kimmo,  that porta loo you took your Selfi in is made out of all sorts of nasty things. And what about the building site you're working at, I bet that's just chock full of wonderful planet saving stuff too ... So I guess you must be a cunt too 🙂

Ah, the old 'if you criticise the system you're born into and embedded in, you're a hypocrite so your critique means nothing' trope, eh? 

Autocorrect put 'tripe' instead of 'trope'... nice one

33 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I don't imagine Kimmo had much if any influence over his porta loo or the site he is on, although builders actually can tend to be very environmentally aware. not the builders of high-rise so much but basic housing yes.

Yeah, it was a high rise... all that concrete we use is a huge CO2 contribution. 

As long as we're run by pigs at the trough, and there are folks on the street ready to tear down anyone who says boo about it, we're all completely fucked. 

Hmm.

Impossibly complex formula really, high-rise especially if residential is a big negative in many ways, nor least the concrete but also absence of gardens which can contain tress, grass etc, plus you are stacking up humans, natural producers of CO2 🙂

Cheers

We might stand a chance if it all comes crashing down real soon, but if it whimpers rather than bangs, we're taking the biosphere down with us. 

No putting the genie back in the bottle; I can't see simplicity in the offing. In an ideal world our society would be quite complex, but a hell of a lot simpler than this shitfight, and based on relatively straightforward fundamentals IMO. Arcane complexity mainly exists to obscure shenanigans. 

No argument, but if it does collapse it will not be pretty, not at all.

Cheers

17 minutes ago, chrisg said:

No argument, but if it does collapse it will not be pretty, not at all.

Cheers

President Trump will save us

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

President Trump will save us

Don't forget the Evangelists and Zionists, all clamouring for the Rapture... those loonies are all over the US administration like mould on month-old bread. 

17 hours ago, Kimmo said:
17 hours ago, eveln said:

Ah, the old 'if you criticise the system you're born into and embedded in, you're a hypocrite so your critique means nothing' trope, eh? 

I wasn't giving you " trope " or tripe. It's just you seem sooo angry on here about it. I would've thought you'd carry that anger over into your life style is all. Or is that what really makes you angry ? Having to work and support yourself in an industry you're not quite comfortable with

... just sayin'

Posted (edited)

Spare me your presumptions of my mental state. 

When speaking of humanity's utter failure to live up to the status we like to award ourselves, ie lords of the Earth, I merely employ an appropriate tone of withering scorn for our hubris. 

Your heckling is pathetic. 

Edited by Kimmo

Planet’s fucked. 16yo teens are of no interest since they basically just regurgitate what adults have told them with far less nuance. There’s no solution to climate change because the developing world and third world have the right to cheap energy to pull their middle class up by the bootstraps.

We either adapt (technology) or get off planet (technology) all thanks to corporatism and the financial services sector - so we can leave Kimmo behind on a dying planet - better for humanity - there’ll be an appreciable IQ jump.

It’s that simple.

No idea what you just said, but I'm tipping it's safe to say - Fuck off, Leo. 

16 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

No idea what you just said, but I'm tipping it's safe to say - Fuck off, Leo. 

Thanks Kimmo. Being hated by you is like being hated by Nazis, Commies and Islamolunatics.

A badge of honour and a validation of decency.

The day we get along, I’ll neck myself as a failure of a human being just like you.

Rather nihilistic Leo.

The timelines do not look very promising. IF we pull our finger out we MIGHT have a small Mars colony somewhere in the next decade, but it will be very small. Not exactly a mass exodus.

I'd suggest we have in some respects begun to turn the corner, the two largest by population economies on earth, China and India, are both bringing their greatest asset, the sheer number of people they have, to bear, and planting trees at a ferocious rate. Now we need Brazil to get with the plot whilst increasing our ocean clean up programmes and we begin to pull back from the abyss.

There is no time to lose and all the other nations need to behave like better custodians rather than spendthrift owners but we do have a chance, if we wake up.

What is most needed is a breakthrough in clean renewable energy.

I know I keep harping on it but thorium is an option and clean fusion, whilst always a tantalising idea has made a few strides recently.

More radical but an option is beanstalks.

They need breakthroughs in material physics but we are well down that path.

Build a couple and you reach LEO ( not you, Low Earth Orbit) cheaply and cleanly.

Then you can both harvest clean solar reliably and cheaply so long as you have the super conductors to channel it down, and you can cheaply put big chunks of the population into orbit, LaGrange etal.

A lot of new options then open up, like taking necessary but dirty manufacturing off-earth, mining minerals, microgravity manufacturing etc etc.

Realistically we need to pursue them all on parallel tracks, they may all come home to roost or some may fail or not come to fruition but these and other technologies need to be seized upon, now.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Don't forget the Evangelists and Zionists, all clamouring for the Rapture... those loonies are all over the US administration like mould on month-old bread. 

Fuck me. IQ level of an amoeba.

Zionists don’t believe in a rapture or any version thereof. You want Hassidics for that.

They’re anti-Zionists.

7 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Rather nihilistic Leo

You waste 30 years on solar power unicorns while building coal stations because solar power is to power as Kimmo is to intelligence - you get nihilism for fucking around with stupid shit while the solution was staring you in the face.

Now: look at what China is doing with their emissions. We’re fucked. Adapt or get off-planet.

Which means more corporatism and financial services so that Bezos and Musk can get us there.

Edited by Leonid

It will not be enough, not in time.

Thorium is currently the lead bet for clean (er) energy with the side-benefit off being able to burn present nuclear waste.

China is, as I said, turning the corner, we have to rely on their continuing to do the right thing but an estimated 1 billion trees planted last year is a good start.

I'm not really convinced solar is at all all-bad, but i is certainly far more efficient outside the atmosphere.

Cheers