Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

Go Greta, go !!

3 minutes ago, chrisg said:

China is, as I said, turning the corner,

That’s fake news.

They’re ramping up coal production and power use - this year is their highest emitting year in their history, as has been the case every year since 2000 or so.

I really don’t know why you keep peddling this utter BS. Open google and punch in “China’s emissions growth” or “China coal power consumption”.

Find me that corner they’re turning and I’ll find you a brain cell in Kimmo’s head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Find me that corner they’re turning and I’ll find you a brain cell in Kimmo’s head.

Oh my god I just choked on my soup LOL

Hmm,

You are now resorting to using your idiot idol's vernacular I see.

Open Google with an open mind and there are just as many articles concerning Chinese efforts at reclamation, on their decisions to do with thorium reactors and much more. This is just one of them:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/2167048/forest-study-china-finds-mix-trees-can-absorb-twice-much-carbon

The Chinese are nor suicidal, they know they need to change and have been working on it for quite a while.

They have of late relaxed their "one child" policy but not by much and they are busily cleaning up air pollution in Beijing.

These ventures do not change things overnight but they are very much at a pollution cusp in net terms and now backing away.

It maybe too little too late but they are aware and working on it.

Just a pity they did not do so sooner.

I do not know Leo, there is no doubt that the planet is in bad shape, but some are beginning to reverse the trends. Trump on the other hand remains a climate change skeptic, that alone should put you off him.

Cheers

18 hours ago, chrisg said:

.... we ARE doomed.... 🙂

Cheers

I think society as we know it is doomed in the short term, perhaps humans as a species are doomed in the not so far future (and we'll take a lot of other species with us), but I would like to wager that a thousand years after the extinction of our species, the planet will be ripe and green again.

Oh indeed Newt. We humans greatly over-estimate our importance.

Gaia does not care,  she has seen much worse, the planet will recover, in galactic terms in a heartbeat.

Cheers

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Hmm,

You are now resorting to using your idiot idol's vernacular I see.

I’m sorry Iceman. You’re way cooler I’ll use yours.

Your article doesn’t show shit champ. It says China’s doing something but what it doesn’t say says volumes - and that every year Chinese rate of coal use and coal plant planning/construction is increasing.

It doesn’t matter if you build 50 solar plants this year and that’s 10 more last year if you’ve also built 100 coal plants and only built 70 last year.

Agreed.

It was but one example, the Chinese are attacking the problem on a great many fronts, but it is a tug-of-war, energy demands versus carbon sinking.

Thorium is of particular interest to them because they have a lot of it and are deep into research leading to production reactors.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/2181396/how-china-hopes-play-leading-role-developing-next-generation

The problem is they have to keep feeding the beast with energy in the interim, it's a race pure and simple but it would be foolish to expect, laudable as they are, the efforts of Musk and Bezos to make any difference to race survival in their lifetimes or even those of their children.

Their children's children, maybe, so the trick is to keep the planet alive long enough to begin to get off it.

Pretty crazy, but we brought it upon ourselves.

Cheers

I place more faith in Bezos and Musk than I do in a corner China isn’t turning. I’ll tell you that much.

It's all a part of a whole that the world is only just properly waking up to but getting single figure quantities of humans of planet is not diversity.

In a way I'd far rather they took the big gamble on beanstalks, if they could crack that nut it's a continuous pathway out of the gravity well.

Possibly they have not thought about them ?

Rockets are so much more sexy   🙂

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

solar is ... far more efficient outside the atmosphere.

The efficiency is iffy at best: you have to beam it down as microwaves and convert back with a rectenna - the losses incurred in that double-handling are not good at all.  Plus, you have to put that rectenna FAAAR away from anything you care about, because a) if you miss, you're essentially going to f something up with a megawatt laser; and b) even if you don't miss, you're going to have both leak-through and reflected radiation.  What is nice, though, is that a space-based array could conceivably collect 24h/day.

38 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Possibly they have not thought about them ?

Tethers are very regularly discussed.  There is no way they can currently be constructed: the only material we have that could possibly cope is an unbroken CNT, or rather a fairly large ribbon of woven unbroken ones, and our current best is something like a centimetre - we'd need thousands of kilometres.

🙂

You CAN tolerate some big losses in that scenario, but I'd prefer not to use lasers.

IF we can build a beanstalk, and that does get closer year by year as ridiculous as it once seemed then we don't need lasers just superconductors to the surface and distribute.

Of course, if you can build one beanstalk you can build a dozen, plenty of material up there, so only asking for maybe five currently impossible things 🙂

However the other outcome of having beanstalks is cheap-to-orbit, so people can actually get to cis -lunar for cents on the pound and again, plenty of material up there to build permanent habitats.

Hey, if dreams are needed, dream big, humans are at their best usually when dreaming impossible things  🙂

Cheers

Greta has been making a few faux pas lately but this one has the German Rail a tad peeved ... seems she and her group had first class seats, but a pic is taken of her with a fair mound of luggage sitting on the floor looking wistfully out .

LOL ... her media team need to get a bit more switched on to reality. People will check

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-16/greta-thunberg-climate-change-railway-germany/11802206

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eveln said:

Greta has been making a few faux pas lately but this one has the German Rail a tad peeved ... seems she and her group had first class seats, but a pic is taken of her with a fair mound of luggage sitting on the floor looking wistfully out .

LOL ... her media team need to get a bit more switched on to reality. People will check

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-16/greta-thunberg-climate-change-railway-germany/11802206

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!

Yeah...........funny how all the pics and stories have her travelling around the world alone when she has  a bigger support crew than the Australian Cricket Team!

• Haha 1

fun fact ... like many out there I'm pretty good with the, " HOW DARE YOU !!!!!! "  got to get the resonance

Trump and some other leaders are not even a shadow of what is good in a person when compared to Greta. She is also not a denier of facts , reality and the truth like the for mentioned are in spades.

Right wingers don't like her, as she is the harbinger of truth that rattles their deluded  lying asses.

Greta is also years ahead of Trump in emotional maturity 😄

• Like 1

🙂

She's young and been thrust into the spotlight, of course the glitterati and do nothings will hiss and claw at her, but demonstrably she doesn't really care.

I still am staggered at the pettiness of Trump, what a dill...

Still, since "Time" scared shit out of him in the Oval Office with a bald eagle, he's probably let his subscription lapse anyway. Chances are he only subscribed to put it in the toilet for visitors to read whilst they flush fifteen times to give them something to read.  You can be sure he never reads it - far too many words.

Cheers

Cheers

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Still, since "Time" scared shit out of him in the Oval Office with a bald eagle

Loved the fact that the Eagle's name was Uncle Sam 🤣

It sensed the fear in him, the draft dodger that said he would run in to disarm an active shooter, yet he with his inaction and rhetoric is the inspiration and motivator of many of recent active shooters, including the incident at that Synagogue.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Leonid said:

Thanks Kimmo. Being hated by you is like being hated by Nazis, Commies and Islamolunatics.

A badge of honour and a validation of decency.

The day we get along, I’ll neck myself as a failure of a human being just like you.

Speaking of that.................Hitler won Person of the year and Stalin won it twice!

Just now, LogicprObe said:

Hitler won Person of the year and Stalin won it twice!

So both the betters of Donald Trump, it figures.

5 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Trump and Obama both got it once..................

Trump likely bought it, like he did the election and presidency.

He is shit at business, he is shit at everything he does, his shit even stands head and shoulders above him...........Donald Dump.

Edit: correction, he is a master pussy grabber.

Edited by datafast69

2 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

Trump likely bought it.

He is shit at business, he is shit at everything he does, his shit even stands head and shoulders above him...........Donald Dump.

Edit: correction, he is a master pussy grabber.

Groucho's club quote springs to mind..........................

• Haha 1

And while Trump has been called a lot of things, "secure" is not one of them. This is the same Trump who just days ago took to Twitter to despicably mock 16-year-old climate change activist Greta Thunberg, likely because she beat him out for the title of Time magazine's "Person of the Year."

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/15/opinions/trump-votes-impeachment-obeidallah/index.html

2 hours ago, datafast69 said:

She is also not a denier of facts , reality and the truth like the for mentioned are in spades.

Well. I just hope that when she's older and more in control of her own speeches and photo ops, she does as you imply of her. Cos right now she's being led like a blind horse.

The people editing her speeches etc. are only making her life waaaay more difficult.

As for Trump. I fail to see what he has to do with this. Except if those writing her speeches have their way I guess one day he might be up against the wall with the other world leaders that don't follow the agenda ... * shrugs * who knows what  garden path she will be led down.

I do worry for her as she grows older though ...