Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Bert and Ernie, the perfect mates

Right. Now It's been like many decades since I've watched a Sesame Street. True story.

On my local radio show this morning, some persons were attempting a chat about the latest happenings on Sesame Street. Now yes, I could well have googled some answers before starting this thread, but, well I didn't.

Apparently there's a green character name of Carly, her mother seems to be ' away '. In truth mum was probably not considered relevant till someone could come up with a story line ... and they did .

Mum's been away dealing with a drinking problem. It seems kids need to know what addiction means. Maybe they do, I don't know.

Then the convo gets around to Bert and Ernie, and isn't it time they came out ? Frankly, I sighed with dismay. Not because of the "Gay " introduction so much,  but because it was assumed that two blokes who felt more comfortable sharing their company together than with a femme were gay.

I recall a time when women poo-poohed the fact it was assumed a man and a women could not be platonic mates, and now, some want to assume that guys who prefer another guy as company must be gay ...

Why can't Bert and Ernie just be mates ? Two people who get along mostly, and who don't require a femme to feel okay ... I mean really. Can't ya just have a mate of the same sex without having to screw them ?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, eveln said:

Can't ya just have a mate of the same sex without having to screw them ?

It's difficult.
But not all that impossible.

I don't think I've watched the show to any degree since before Elmo came along and before Snuffy became known to all the grown-ups.

Just why the hell they did even that is beyond me.

I guess you could say that for both... Elmo is sort of a Jim Henson answer to Jar Jar Binks (though he was first by a long shot).

Why not just leave them as is and introduce a same sex couple where one has just transitioned and still getting the hormone therapy and educate the kids as to their woes trying to work their way up the adoption queue to get the kid they're so entitled to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/10/arts/sesame-street-karli-addiction.html

theyre right. children need to learn about "traumatic events".  but are they going far enough? 

i think B & E should get engaged, but the marriage is postponed when Bert develops a terrible illness.  Ernie stays by his bedside through thick and thin, and even thinner, but sadly Bert doesnt pull through.  when Bert's life support machine goes off the room is plunged into darkness, leaving only the silhouette of Ernie against a dim rectangle of light seeping in from the drawn blinds behind him.  the camera tightens on him as he falls forward, cradling his head in hands that are still clutching the power cord.  suddenly, the blinds are yanked open.  its Mick Jagger, with a tambourine, climbing in from the fire escape.  Ernie and Mick sing an adagio duet of "You can't always get what you want" to camera.  finally Mick announces, "Today's episode was brought to you by the letter 'A' for assisted suicide".  roll credits.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, @~thehung said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/10/arts/sesame-street-karli-addiction.html

theyre right. children need to learn about "traumatic events".  but are they going far enough? 

i think B & E should get engaged, but the marriage is postponed when Bert develops a terrible illness.  Ernie stays by his bedside through thick and thin, and even thinner, but sadly Bert doesnt pull through.  when Bert's life support machine goes off the room is plunged into darkness, leaving only the silhouette of Ernie against a dim rectangle of light seeping in from the drawn blinds behind him.  the camera tightens on him as he falls forward, cradling his head in hands that are still clutching the power cord.  suddenly, the blinds are yanked open.  its Mick Jagger, with a tambourine, climbing in from the fire escape.  Ernie and Mick sing an adagio duet of "You can't always get what you want" to camera.  finally Mick announces, "Today's episode was brought to you by the letter 'A' for assisted suicide".  roll credits.

Submit this so you can write for children's shows. Maybe local productions first. Some song and dance numbers for the wiggles or hi5

Children need to learn that someone's sexuality is everyone's business, as it has such a huge effect on  everything.

• Like 1

They could change the number of the day to represent the 9 main gender IDs.

@nickeax  just to be clear here, I " liked" your comment cos My interpretation of it had sarcasm dripping off every word

• Like 1

do muppets even have genitals ?  let alone use them...

shades of the sex scenes from "team america"  😲

@SacrificialNewt precisely my point. And what about the Golden girls too ? Are the Powers that be gonna turn them into something else to suit too ? I mean sure both shows are purely fictional so I suppose they could, and that would justify changing Bert and Ernie too I guess.

But as @Rybags said earlier, why not just introduce new characters, like this Karli chick and her addictive mother. Make them gay or they persons and make them part of the current history ... and leave my history the fuck alone 😉

12 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

do muppets even have genitals ?  let alone use them...

I wouldn't have thought so, not the ones from years past. Perhaps this contemporary progressive theme will give them genitalia too. I wonder how they'll do the a-sexual

My dolls never had genitalia, nor a real mouth or nose or ear holes either. I'd say, on the whole that was a good thing, cos being a kid an' all at the time who knows what I would have tried to secrete in the openings if  only I could have ?

Well, here's a bit of Real Life for our children  ... https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-13/queensland-teacher-passes-out-drunk-in-front-of-grade-2-class/11597644.

I wonder if the Education Dept. will get the class to watch some Karli episodes. I reckon they the kids, could give the producers some info tbh. I mean this teacher lasted quite a while in her teaching role before being sort of dealt with

15 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:

I've never seen them as anything but just friends. They're a puppet version of the odd couple, who weren't gay either.

whilst its true that The Odd Couple weren't gay, they were still in the closet in a way.  1970's TV audiences just werent ready to accept Oscar's transition.

5 hours ago, @~thehung said:

they were still in the closet in a way. 

lol. so they were  a little bit gay only ... like being a little preggars ... :P

!970's American tv was trying to ignore the whole sexual revolution I think.

2 hours ago, eveln said:

so they were  a little bit gay only

Pregnancy is a boolean value - sexuality is a float. 😜

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cybes said:

Pregnancy is a boolean value - sexuality is a float. 😜

not sure I get it. No, I'm sure I don't get it. I think you be saying pregnancy is logical. but I don't get the "float" term

Edited by eveln

55 minutes ago, eveln said:

not sure I get it. No, I'm sure I don't get it. I think you be saying pregnancy is logical. but I don't get the "float" term

Programming humour.  A bool can be either TRUE or FALSE and nothing else. A floating point value is a real number.

ie: you can't be a little bit pregnant, but gayness can be anywhere between zero and all-possible.

2 hours ago, Cybes said:

Programming humour.  A bool can be either TRUE or FALSE and nothing else. A floating point value is a real number.

ie: you can't be a little bit pregnant, but gayness can be anywhere between zero and all-possible.

Ohh ... ah haha ha 😉

ahhhh "political correctness".. Noddy & Big Ears were "banned" because they were "gay", Humphrey B Bear was traumatic to children because he didn't wear pants.... why do we have to have all these damned LABELS.

On that note - why haven't they attacked the cross species issue between Kermit & Miss Piggy yet?  

Edited by DEVERE
additional text

3 hours ago, DEVERE said:

On that note - why haven't they attacked the cross species issue between Kermit & Miss Piggy yet?  

I would have thought that was okay, like, being free to choose your preference maybe ...

16 hours ago, eveln said:

I would have thought that was okay, like, being free to choose your preference maybe ...

Haha who knows these days? 

🙂

Ever tried to picture a frog mounting a pig ?

Don't   🙂

Cheers

• Haha 1