Sign in to follow this  
foolz

Newly Built PC Troubleshooting

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this here is the right place.

I recently completed this build:

Case: Pure Base 600

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

CPU Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 4

GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 Super

PSU: Corsair RM 550X

Ram: Ballistix LT Sport 16gb 3200MHZ

SSD: Kingston 1TB

The PC is now put together, and the GPU actually runs pretty coolly. 30-40 idle, 40-65 in game. The CPU, however, is crazy. Original idle in BIOS was 30-35 and 40-50 in Windows; 55 if doing general things like browsing. I updated BIOS, thinking this was high--boy was I wrong: I'm now getting 40-43 in BIOS, 48-65 if doing general tasks like multi-tab browsing and video watching. With default fan curve, this is not only quite loud, but sometimes rapidly going up and down as the CPU rapidly goes up and down in temp. in more intensive things like games, regardless of fan curve I'm getting similar results to general browsing, or if things get very intense maybe it'll go up to 75. That seems reasonable but on a couple occasions if things get really intense it'll get up to 82 or 85, which is getting a bit close to the 95 limit. If I was using the Wraith Cooler I'd think this was maybe reasonable at a stretch given the temps for the Ryzen 7s seem to be all over the place atm, but given I'm using a much bigger cooler (dark rock pro 4), this doesn't seem to make much sense, even taking into account the warm case. Could I have messed something up this badly in cooler installation?

Let me know if Ryzen Master or BIOS screenshots would be helpful.

I also ended up with a dud hard drive; it disappeared from Windows (and subsequently the BIOS) and started clicking during initialisation; the disc drive also doesn't read discs, though it is recognised both in BIOS and in Windows. Tried everything I could think of with the disc drive, from BIOS update, reinstalling, to firmware update, but nothing helped. The dud hard drive, and malfunctioning disc drive make me suspicious of the CPU, as I got all these components from the same shop, and they were sent in the one package. I also bought the SSD from them, which seems to be functioning well, except that when the PC has gone into screensaving mode on a couple of occasions it has frozen, and I've had to turn the PSU on and off before the motherboard recognises the SSD. Maybe all this is motherboard related?

Any suggestions re. disc drive, or have I tried everything I can?

Lastly, if I want to install the GPU support bracket, it would have to piggyback the soundcard bracket. The end of it would be just touching the end of the soundcard, this should be okay, as it won't be applying much pressure to it, right?

Edited by foolz

Does sound a bit hot which means ether a bad mount or Vcore is way to high due to a bug with the BIOS update.

Two SATA drives playing up? that does make me suspicious of the MB... was this only since the BIOS update?

Don't follow your last question maybe a picture would help.

21 hours ago, Dasa said:

Does sound a bit hot which means ether a bad mount or Vcore is way to high due to a bug with the BIOS update.

Two SATA drives playing up? that does make me suspicious of the MB... was this only since the BIOS update?

Don't follow your last question maybe a picture would help.

SATA issues were pre-BIOS update.

I have attached pictures: in img_1004 you can see the soundcard is directly beneath the soundcard. If I were to use the GPU support bracket, it would have to be screwed into the case through the same slots the soundcard is using, as you can see in IMG_1006. I feel like this might be a bit too bodgy?

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

As far as I can see it looks ok provided it isn't making contact with the PCB or bending it some how.

Sounds like a bad mount or maybe you can change the fan profile.  You can try the wrath cooler too to compare.  It is quite a good cooler actually and use this on my sons pc. 

18 hours ago, gamble said:

Sounds like a bad mount or maybe you can change the fan profile.  You can try the wrath cooler too to compare.  It is quite a good cooler actually and use this on my sons pc. 

I was actually planning to try the wraith, as well! If I do some out of case testing, I'll definitely give it a go.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:35 PM, Dasa said:

As far as I can see it looks ok provided it isn't making contact with the PCB or bending it some how.

It's not applying much force, so it shouldn't bend it, but It would be touching the corner, though not the face, of the PCB as illustrated (red line=bracket). Would that still be a no-go?

img_1004.jpg

Edited by foolz

Ahem, well this is embarrassing. I went full Verge, or perhaps even worse—post-Verge? Somehow I missed removing the sticker from the heatsink! Well, that’s easily one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done, let alone in PC building.

I’m now getting 26-27c in BIOS, 33-37 nothing open in Windows, 40-50 with multiple tabs and videos, and 45-60 in gaming depending on how intensive the game is. Stress test jumps to 60 instantly, but then doesn’t go higher than 63; heatsink warm to the touch, though far from feeling hot.

I’m still getting the odd random spike to 60 in multi-tabbed browsing and videos, but it goes back down instantly, and sometimes it sits around 50 for extended periods with the same sort of usage. Weirdly the highest temp I’ve seen hasn’t been in stress testing, but it managed to briefly hit 70 during gaming, but dropped back down instantly.

It’s probably safe to put this sort of thing down to the eccentricities of the dynamic auto-OC system, I assume?

My best cinebench R20 scores were 4715 multi-core, and 502 single core, which seems to be not exceptional for the 3700x, but certainly in the range one ought to expect. Time Spy CPU score is 9654 at 32.44 FPS.

So it seems like my monumental stupidity hasn’t done any damage.

Also, motherboard appears to be fine; tested a working disc drive, and didn't have any issues.

Edited by foolz
  • Thanks 1

Far from the first to do that but bonus points for admitting it 🙂

Yea nice that you mentioned as others might learn from it 🙂 we all do something like this at times... 

On water I see spikes to 67c at times but I have my fans for rad on low, you are still running really good temps for sure