Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Too much gym !

Contracting a hernia is surely a good clue of too too much exertion in the gym right ? The context of that sentence is about two people checking the hernia condition suffered by one of them  through an admittance of going too far in her gym work

Now, the person she was talking to about this is another fitness-freak-gym-junky-healthy guy, who seemed totally unsurprised by the other's condition.

I have my elegant little schedule of stuff I do, it makes me puff and brings up a sweat but I definitely draw the line at cringing-stress-face . I don't think they're the sort of wrinkles I need to add to the list already being more naturally acquired.

Also I just object to tooo much pain.

To fix a hernia means some sort of mesh implant I think, so your body is not really healing itself. With that in mind, I'm wondering at the fairly casual conversation I witnessed above 😲

Hernia is the abnormal exit of an organ, or tissue through the cavity where it resides.

Doesn't have to occur in a gym, can happen anywhere.  I believe mesh implant is the common fix where something has to be contained behind muscle.

Groin area is the most common, even had a minor one myself which I mistook for appendix a long time ago.

I would think in theory that being fit and conditioned e.g. going to a gym would overall lessen the chance of getting a hernia.

But practices like not warming up, not wearing appropriate protective gear or improper lifting/moving practices would greatly increase the chance of getting one.

All jokes aside PLEASE stay away from mesh - it is killing my wife and many others,

J&J are on the ropes in a class settlement that will blow the whole scandal wide open but I do not know if my wife is going to live to see it.

On 10/25/2019 at 7:31 PM, chrisg said:

All jokes aside PLEASE stay away from mesh - it is killing my wife and many others,

J&J are on the ropes in a class settlement that will blow the whole scandal wide open but I do not know if my wife is going to live to see it.

That suxs big time. 😢

Not for J&J that is, they can go.........

Mesh problems yes, but what's the alternative? Have your guts fall out?

I've had two inguinal hernias fixed. Right side no worries, left side has a few complications (only refered pain here and there between left nut and under the rib on the left side.

No regrets.. it had to be fixed. End of story. I'm not dying anymore than I was yesterday so I'm not overly concerned.

Mesh was, is still at the moment, a J&J alternative to well established alternative  surgeries using natural gut or dissolving stitches that worked fine, they just took longer and required more surgical expertise.

J&J went out and sold mesh, very aggressively, as a cheaper, faster alternative, based upon completely inadequate trials.

Now, several years after the fact, it is breaking down and killing - mostly women, that typically involves deeper surgery. It really to a degree depends upon how much mesh and how deep in the body.

But make no mistake, it will break down. Then it depends upon if it can be excreted by your body before it does damage, or not.

One of the problems is that there are very few scanners that can properly detect the stuff.

After three or more years my wife finally had a scan that revealed what it was doing to her and where it had migrated to but apparently it was not something the tech wanted her to see.

At the moment she is suffering endless secondary infections and pretty much living on antibiotics and pain killers - not what you really want in your 70s - you expect your body to slow down, not get crippled from within by procedures done a decade ago.

That is part of the issue, as it often is with medical malpractice, it takes time to appear and leads to an argument over what is the root cause.

There are now far too many women dying from this surgery, J&J have paid out millions overseas but by a quirk of law every case has to be charged in its own jurisdiction.

What horrifies my wife, and me, is not that it is taking an age to get a judgement, it is that mesh is still being used in operations in Australia when it has been banned or severely restricted for quite a while overseas.

I would not let a doc near me with the stuff, but my wife never was given the option, no consent forms, no explanations, nothing.

It's a disgrace, and it will most likely kill her.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Mesh was, is still at the moment, a J&J alternative to well established alternative  surgeries using natural gut or dissolving stitches that worked fine, they just took longer and required more surgical expertise.

J&J went out and sold mesh, very aggressively, as a cheaper, faster alternative, based upon completely inadequate trials.

Now, several years after the fact, it is breaking down and killing - mostly women, that typically involves deeper surgery. It really to a degree depends upon how much mesh and how deep in the body.

But make no mistake, it will break down. Then it depends upon if it can be excreted by your body before it does damage, or not.

One of the problems is that there are very few scanners that can properly detect the stuff.

After three or more years my wife finally had a scan that revealed what it was doing to her and where it had migrated to but apparently it was not something the tech wanted her to see.

At the moment she is suffering endless secondary infections and pretty much living on antibiotics and pain killers - not what you really want in your 70s - you expect your body to slow down, not get crippled from within by procedures done a decade ago.

That is part of the issue, as it often is with medical malpractice, it takes time to appear and leads to an argument over what is the root cause.

There are now far too many women dying from this surgery, J&J have paid out millions overseas but by a quirk of law every case has to be charged in its own jurisdiction.

What horrifies my wife, and me, is not that it is taking an age to get a judgement, it is that mesh is still being used in operations in Australia when it has been banned or severely restricted for quite a while overseas.

I would not let a doc near me with the stuff, but my wife never was given the option, no consent forms, no explanations, nothing.

It's a disgrace, and it will most likely kill her.

Cheers

tenor.gif?itemid=9222668

• Haha 1

I know you did twinair . That gif is too good .

So no one here earned their hernia issues through incorrect gym procedure ... that means we be clever lazy folk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, eveln said:

I know you did twinair .

I actually didn't. I'm too busy now with spreadsheets and power point presentations. I will probably read it tomorrow when my attention span has an outlet.

I can only communicate in twitter like packets for the moment

Edited by twinair
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, twinair said:

I actually didn't. I'm too busy now with spreadsheets and power point presentations. I will probably read it tomorrow when my attention span has an outlet.

I can only communicate in twitter like packets for the moment

well, for my sake ( I read the post ) I'm glad you spent that gif ... I have never done twitter

I slept in the White House once and the fuckers slipped some mesh into my drink.

17 minutes ago, Damo said:

I slept in the White House once and the fuckers slipped some mesh into my drink.

🙂

then you would have shat it out... good for you... 🙂

Cheers

15 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

I thought they only served Cheese Burgers at the White House 🤔

I thought it was Pizza.. 😐

• Haha 1

Getting back to the subject...

I'm talking about people causing themselves hernia type issues via bad gym protocol. Either it's a lack of proper trainers or just stupid people   ... isn't it ? 

Don't forget I've never set foot in a gym, so have no clue 😎

I don't do Gym, too many mirrors and too many people looking at themselves in those mirrors.

Then there is this shit!

Freak.jpg.a6459e0d24c5b9044a396c31b0d2d860.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, eveln said:

Getting back to the subject...

I'm talking about people causing themselves hernia type issues via bad gym protocol. Either it's a lack of proper trainers or just stupid people   ... isn't it ? 

Don't forget I've never set foot in a gym, so have no clue 😎

I'd think it could be both,

People just over doing it without correct supervision, and a doofus trainer would compound things.

Some medical experts suggest avoiding sit ups even, as it can place excess pressure in blood vessels in the brain....ie aneurysm time 😞

Not neccesarily Ev. Hernias can pop just from coughing, sneezing, lifting etc. 

2 hours ago, datafast69 said:

I don't do Gym, too many mirrors and too many people looking at themselves in those mirrors.

Then there is this shit!

Freak.jpg.a6459e0d24c5b9044a396c31b0d2d860.jpg

I've been to a gym once in my life.
Fitness First North Sydney about 2001. After I did my thing, I went in to have a shower. I walk in and there's this fucking bloke with one leg up on the bench blow drying his fucking pubes.

That was the last time I ever went to a gym. I mean, I'm not afraid of seeing balls. But Man, it's the wankers in those places that boil my piss.

There are other ways to keep fit and I'm not into getting swole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, twinair said:

I've been to a gym once in my life.
Fitness First North Sydney about 2001. After I did my thing, I went in to have a shower. I walk in and there's this fucking bloke with one leg up on the bench blow drying his fucking pubes.

should be safe now

no-one has pubes, because apparently rocking a bush makes your dangly bits look less well hung - sort of like a tree looks taller on open ground i guess

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, scruffy1 said:

should be safe now

no-one has pubes, because apparently rocking a bush makes your dangly bits look less well hung - sort of like a tree looks taller on open ground i guess

I was actually contemplating putting that in...that these days most young blokes shave all the hair off their bodies.

I'e never quite understood it.
But whatevs. As long as they're not harming anyone.

1 minute ago, scruffy1 said:

should be safe now

You working emergency at Bondi ?

The hell!

kids these days!

I blame the interwebs!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

You working emergency at Bondi ?

All the meatheads in Bondi skip leg day...unless it's shaving legs day.