Sign in to follow this  
SquallStrife

Fan arrangement

Hey all!

A few months ago I built my new gaming+streaming rig: i7 9700KF, RTX2080, NVME SSD, all the cool stuff.

Well it's meant to be cool stuff, right now it's very toasty stuff.

I have a NZXT H510i case, a Corsair H80i v2 AIO cooler, and 2x 120mm fans, all arranged like this (not to scale obviously, arrows indicate airflow direction):

image.png.6695f24d7667500192228d350c744030.png

At idle and during most tasks, the system is on the warm side but OK. Fire up something demanding like CODMW with RTX enabled and the GPU gets extremely hot, close to 90 degrees.

I know the air inside the case is hot too, as when I take the side off there's a gust of hot air like opening an oven.

Now, I know I should add some more fans, but I'd like some input on where, and how they should be oriented.

Any help? Dasa? XD

Looks like you can add one more to the front of the chassis.  You would want to have that flow "in" like the other front fan.  Do you have the fans connected to the motherboard or with a fan controller?  If so, they might only be set to a low setting like silent and if the CPU is cold, it might not be requesting for the case fans to rev up.  Like I have my case fans set to my cpu temp (cpu fan optional port), they dont go up unless the cpu temp does but that might hurt if my cpu is running really cool and my gpu is being pegged.  Manually setting the low side fan curve for the case fans (from say 300rpm to 700rpm) might be the way to go or move the fan setting to standard or turbo from silent.  Is your gpu blower style?  You could try to replace the TIM too on the gpu. 

Thanks dude! Yeah the fans are connected to the NZXT fan controller, and are just on their default settings, I'll check that out.

The GPU isn't blower-style, it's the Gigabyte model with 3 regular-ass fans.

I'm going to get some supplies on Saturday, I'll add the extra fan, tinker with the settings, and let you know how it goes. Cheers for the help! 🙂

Like most NZXT case the 510 is more form over function and the front panels is very restrictive to airflow especially with low speed fans.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3496-nzxt-h510-elite-case-review-making-things-worse

1_cpu_nzxt-h510-elite_only.png

Due to the front restriction it will be important to tape up any gaps around the front fans so that fresh air has to be drawn in and cant just go round in circles like it will be now with just one front fan.

Corsair ML140 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan Twin Pack $45 could be a good option for two front fan's.

Also using the vertical GPU mount would only make temperatures worse so best to avoid that.

Edited by Dasa

I use to have that card and it ran cool when set in MSI Afterburner to 65% fan curve at 60c.  Might try that, it was pretty quiet to me at that %.