Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Oldy but a Definite Bloody Goody

Ants wanting to build a dry home made me clean out my wardrobe top shelf which lead to me finding and almost throwing out a pair of shoes.

Not just any pair of shoes. These mighty suckers have at least a four inch heal ( court style, definitely not stilleto ) they are leather upper inner and outer, every where but the heal. They still have the original souls  soles.

They are designed as a winter day shoe in style, but obviously too dangerous to wear for any great length of time.

The leather is in magnificent condition considering I've not given them any treatment care in decades.

I would say I have had them for fourty years minimum and I can still put them on .lol. Like I'm ever going to be courageous enough to walk in them ?! I'd sort of like to see them being worn but giving second hand shoes to someone is like, eww yukki

I think I'll just keep them as part of my long forgotten history

Edited by eveln
even though souls is the wrong spelling, it seemed appropriate

I found a pair of shoes I've probably never worn not too long ago (jogger type) though I probably bought then less than 3 years ago.

Generally I keep about 3 pairs going... as they age they get demoted for doing rough stuff then eventually chucked out.

i have a pair of black leather work shoes

i have a pair of very bright coloured sports shoes

i have a pair of aldi slippers

thus endeth my collection of footwear

mostly i am barefoot, although i confess to a pair of snorkelling flippers and two sets of surf fins, but none have been wet for a few years since i got cancerous and can't handle sunshine well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eveln said:

Ants wanting to build a dry home made me clean out my wardrobe top shelf which lead to me finding and almost throwing out a pair of shoes.

Not just any pair of shoes. These mighty suckers have at least a four inch heal ( court style, definitely not stilleto ) they are leather upper inner and outer, every where but the heal. They still have the original souls .

They are designed as a winter day shoe in style, but obviously too dangerous to wear for any great length of time.

The leather is in magnificent condition considering I've not given them any treatment care in decades.

I would say I have had them for fourty years minimum and I can still put them on .lol. Like I'm ever going to be courageous enough to walk in them ?! I'd sort of like to see them being worn but giving second hand shoes to someone is like, eww yukki

I think I'll just keep them as part of my long forgotten history

Hmm...

*looks in mirror* 🤔

Maybe not.

40 years, eveln, that's bloody amazing!

31 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

that's bloody amazing!

I think so.

I've spent comparatively as much, if not more on shoes in the last two decades and thrown nearly all of them out already.

When I'm not at work I live in thongs, I'm not comfortable going barefoot . the ground is either too hot or uncertain for my delicate soles. Oh I have a pair of cowboy boots for winter or when we go bush, I will be buried in those suckers :)

• Like 1

I have one pair of "good" shoes.

One pair of runners/joggers.  (bloody things cost $260 because I need decent shoes for my knees)

One pair of moccasins

And 3 pairs of thongs.

That's my collection in total.

Edited by hulkster

I have 2 pairs of current runners. 

1 pair of old runners

1 pair of trainers

I think about 5 or 6 "smart casual" to varying degrees

1 pair of hiking shoes

1 pair of good black shoes

1 pair of reef shoes that double as a casual shoe

1 pair of indoor and a pair of outdoor soccer boots

2 pairs of slip on shoes

1 pair of slides 

There may be something I forgot. 

I've had knee issues too but I found the best thing I can do is vary up the shoes I wear. A lot of those shoes are 5 - 10 years old and still look near new so I'll have them for a while yet. 

While I'm pretty stunned that some one who lives in a mostly cold to fucking freezing climate owns three pairs of thongs, I'm not sure how this became a thread about how many and varied styles we owned. lol * bemused look * you blokes have more styles than me.

Before I left the home of my youth, I did have a pair of tennis shoes. Since leaving and being responsible for my own needs, I'm proud to say I've never ever bought a sport shoe or shoes 

my sports shoes are only so i can fly the radio glider when it's too cold to run on the grass barefoot late afternoon

i'm usually warm blooded enough, but at dusk the river valley i fly on gets dew on it pretty fast, and the ground is fucking freezing as soon as the direct sunlight ceases, even though the twilight is enough to fly for half an hour or so more (in shoes)

19 hours ago, eveln said:

While I'm pretty stunned that some one who lives in a mostly cold to fucking freezing climate owns three pairs of thongs, 

Not cold in Tassie !!!  lol

Oh I do love my thongs. Worst foot attire ever for fucked knees but fuck wearing shoes on a warm day  🙂

thongs just make me feel slow and stupid and defenseless. 

call me paranoid, but i need to feel ready to throw down at a moments notice (¬_¬) and limp clippety clappety flaps of rubber won't cut it.  the noise makes me feel like am wearing a cow bell.  give me something with grip that will stay on, hence i opt for those covered sandals things that look like sneakers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hulkster said:

Oh I do love my thongs. Worst foot attire ever for fucked knees but fuck wearing shoes on a warm day  🙂

Of course it's cold ! Anywhere south of Townsville is cold ...'nuff said.

Lordy @@~thehung I thought I was reading chrisg then and not you 😛

42 minutes ago, eveln said:

Lordy @@~thehung I thought I was reading chrisg then and not you 😛

you say that, but have you ever tried dragging a kid out of a burning building, or running over broken glass to tackle a would be bank robber, WHILE WEARING THONGS!  i bet you havent.  i am not someone who goes looking for trouble, but for whatever reason, it always seems to find me.  just unlucky i guess ;-).  its little wonder that experience has taught me to be prepared.  lets just say theres a good reason why the SF boys choose boots over thongs.  not wearing thongs has probably saved my life more times than i care to remember.   that was a long time ago, during a very strange and very different time in my life, but old habits die hard. 

Edited by @~thehung
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

but have you ever tried dragging a kid out of a burning building, or running over broken glass to tackle a would be bank robber, WHILE WEARING THONGS!

Or walk more than 100 metres! 

3 hours ago, hulkster said:

Thongs are not the friends on calves, knees, pelvis, groin or hips....  but still the first thing I throw on my feet once the Rossi's come off.

I'm too scared to list all the shoes I own - most of them basically sit in my wardrobe since I live in my Rossi's these days.  Rarely wear heels anymore.. but I reckon I'd have to have somewhere between 40 - 50 pairs of shoes....runners x3, heels x ummm 30ish (varying colours and heel size), boots x 7 (work, dress & casual), flats (dress & casual) x 5 or 6, sandals (dress & casual)umm probably 5 or 6

Edited by DEVERE

37 minutes ago, DEVERE said:

I'm too scared to list all the shoes I own - most of them basically sit in my wardrobe since I live in my Rossi's these days.  Rarely wear heels anymore.. but I reckon I'd have to have somewhere between 40 - 50 pairs of shoes...

at risk of sexist observation, shoes to that level is a female trait

i am a bit of a bag fan, having 4 man-bags and 2 back packs - and have a fetish for crumpler  (all purchased second hand, though the backpacks were new - online, of course)

3 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

at risk of sexist observation, shoes to that level is a female trait

i am a bit of a bag fan, having 4 man-bags and 2 back packs - and have a fetish for crumpler  (all purchased second hand, though the backpacks were new - online, of course)

Yeah I know haha and no offence taken lol.  I just seemed to collect them for several years - I've worn all of them at one point or another, but simply live in Rossi's, thongs and slippers these days.  I really should get rid of some haha

4 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Or walk more than 100 metres! 

I have a pair with nodules all over the sole . After spending at least ten hours in a closed shoe, I quite like walking around in my bumpy thongs. I would never choose to hike or walk rock escarpments or similar hazardous terrains in them, but for lazy leisure they be just dandy. And I"m sure I would tally up waaay more than a hundred meters in them, per shift.

@DEVERE ... I am curious here, would southern WA climes be more favourable to the longevity of your shoes, than more tropical climes ?  I ask, cos I did once have enough shoes to fill a queens size bed sheet . I know this cos in a past move we made Walt used the sheet to lessen the trips needed to empty the closet. lol. All of those shoes got chucked not long after cos they literally just fell apart.  A part of me thinks it's cos the tropics is not kind to some materials, but, I also reckon the last thirty years have seen a total lack of quality go by the wayside.

I hate thongs, the ones on the feet are maybe worse.

Long toes so they get skinned constantly, not to mention how useless (hazardous) they are in the wet.

Oh yeah, then there is that flap-flap-flap someone mentioned.

I have a pair of Volleys (black), but do have a pair of Rockports I have worn once, a pair of Reeboks I wore once (may have given then away, not sure...haven't seen those in a while)

🙂

Circumstance has left me separated from my shoes until further notice, which is annoying.

I currently have some el cheapo KMart things that will not last long, a very uncomfortable pair of dress shoes and two pairs of thongs, one orthodontics which are ok, the other Japanese riding boots.

I really miss my comfortable shoes, but summer is here, or coming, I'll be back to routine bare foot soon.

I dunno, I tend to think if we were meant to wear shoes we would have sorted out comfortable ones much sooner - ever tried wearing clogs ?

I hate fashion in that regard, some years no problem, some I cannot find a comfortable pair, and I hate lace ups  🙂

Working from home has its advantages, but I do need to wear shoes for some occasions  🙂

Cheers

20 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

I hate thongs, the ones on the feet are maybe worse.

lol. who's a funny guy then ?! 😜

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, eveln said:

lol. who's a funny guy then ?! 😜

I paid a heavy price for my action by visualising my self is a said thong 😥

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, @~thehung said:

thongs just make me feel slow and stupid and defenseless. 

call me paranoid, but i need to feel ready to throw down at a moments notice (¬_¬) and limp clippety clappety flaps of rubber won't cut it.  the noise makes me feel like am wearing a cow bell.  give me something with grip that will stay on, hence i opt for those covered sandals things that look like sneakers.

IKR? Shoes kinda define your operating system. If I'm wearing dress shoes I feel handicapped. If I'm wearing steelcaps I also feel a bit handicapped, but in the way a suit of armour would handicap you. Runners are where it's at. Comfy enough for the couch, and capable enough to climb a tree. 

shoes are the neck tie of feet

explain them however you like, but in the best situations, they are unnecessary decor, and in the worst, a necessary part of a nasty situation