Sign in to follow this  
hulkster

Ramping. This cant be good.

7 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

Regarding budgets, even if it increases from year to year it in no way indicates if it increases in line with demand increase, and if the budget has always been insufficient it is just a lame game of catch up where budgets may be forever falling behind demand..

I reckon middle management is probably over blown and that could account for a fair chunk of money that never makes it to the coal face'

"ramping"?  cant make sense of the term.  is it called that because having ambos around 'ramps' up the number of available medical personnel?  is it ramping up the number of people waiting for attention.  i dont get it.

49 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

"ramping"?  cant make sense of the term.  is it called that because having ambos around 'ramps' up the number of available medical personnel?  is it ramping up the number of people waiting for attention.  i dont get it.

both I would think. I think it comes from " meat " ( as scruffy1 says )  lying on gurneys in corridors and ramps waiting to get a proper bed

1 hour ago, datafast69 said:

Regarding budgets, even if it increases from year to year it in no way indicates if it increases in line with demand increase, and if the budget has always been insufficient it is just a lame game of catch up where budgets may be forever falling behind demand..

Which means you start cutting money from a hospital, sadly the front line services get cut first affecting actual patient care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eveln said:

I reckon middle management is probably over blown and that could account for a fair chunk of money that never makes it to the coal face'

Management of the budget is likely mismanaged which is one more issue that leads to further under-funding, i couldn't agree more, Evelyn.

"ramping" is because the trolleys traditionally get rolled up a ramp from the ambulance bay into the emergency department, so stacking them at the entrance is on a ramp

it's the hospital newspeak akin to medalling at the sports field

the largest growth in hospital expenditure apart from exotic medication and machines that go ping (in all likelihood more expensive than both) is the exponential growth in managers

whereas clinical people used to decide who got what spending (and a right little game of thrones that was), now it's down the kpi and benchmarking, based on the artificial fantasies of people who have never lifted a bedpan

Edited by scruffy1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

and so it goes

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv_sZQe-Xab8jPHcc_c9x

Edited by Kimmo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, eveln said:

The entire system is broken.

We have a federal health department that employs no nurses or doctors.

We have state health departments that can't determine which drugs to import.

Australia's public service is truly shocking. In another thread I opined that:

"I maintain that the best way to get something done in the worst way with the longest time taken to achieve none of the stated objectives, is to engage the public sector."

I don't know what the solution is... but it's not what we're doing now.

17 minutes ago, Leonid said:

"I maintain that the best way to get something done in the worst way with the longest time taken to achieve none of the stated objectives, is to engage the public sector."

Agreed.

Public Service has taken more than a leaf out of the same book the unions ran by. I need to say here, that I am not against unions that actually work to help keep the work force fairly paid and safe.

I find the titles of "Public Service / Servant " wholly despicable and supremely misleading

Edited by eveln

The population continues to grow and continues to age.  I just dont get why the health system in this country isnt a priority. It will have to be one day, there will be no choice.

10 hours ago, Leonid said:

the public service works at the instruction of, and packed with chosen representation, the government of the day

their name would more accurately be "the government's servants"

as such, anything that might be arranged for the public good is skewed to represent the views of a bare majority, inflicted on the barely lesser minority

26 minutes ago, hulkster said:

The population continues to grow and continues to age.  I just dont get why the health system in this country isnt a priority. It will have to be one day, there will be no choice.

because dead people are cheaper to process than live ones, and that's a private industry (hence the price gouging for planting your "loved ones")

so poor outcomes are a win for expenditure, especially if the end is swift, and preferably without the opportunity to utilise the health system, which can cost a bit

the lack of a federal standard for health and education is ridiculous

fuck, it's probably not much more than a decade since medical practitioners finally got federal recognition for registration; prior to that you needed to apply for each state you worked in, making portability for locums really ponderous

the federalisation achieved that, but quelle surprise, the cost of such qualification took a hike, and has been increasing >> cpi ever since

there's more, but i edited it out because it's too depressing to document

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

the public service works at the instruction of, and packed with chosen representation, the government of the day

Only the top layer. The 30 layers below are indentured lifers.

I did a lot of work with the DET.

The board changes with every government but nothing changes in the bureaucracy. That’s the actual problem.

“the best way to get something done in the worst way with the longest time taken to achieve none of the stated objectives, is to engage the public sector.”

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Only the top layer. The 30 layers below are indentured lifers.

The board changes with every government but nothing changes in the bureaucracy. That’s the actual problem. 

yes, there's little doubt that giving an inert creature a different trainer relatively frequently is efficient...  not

the time it takes any "initiative" to filter down is glacial, nay, tectonic in time scale

the greater problem is that the board is stacked with political hacks who have little idea how the real world might actually function, attempting to push their distortion through the constipated conduit of a disinterested bureaucracy that has long since abandoned the fantasy that their task is to serve the public, but rather to bend over for their political masters to fuck and then say they were asking for it

The whole way down from the board has little idea of how the world actually functions.

You’re focusing on the political but I’ve worked with these people, board down.

For every decent person you get (usually a contractor), you get 30 oxygen thieves.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, datafast69 said:

They  can hardly cope with the existing population let alone another half a million per year.