Sign in to follow this  
eveln

NSW / QLD fires

5 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

They are also the top two countries building coal fired power plants as well.

Coal is the short term game, they are going other sources long term. Burn the cheap coal now, build future supply at the same time which is not coal.

Edited by Jeruselem

Just now, Jeruselem said:

Coal is the short term game, they are going other sources long term.

They've been doing it for a long time and it isn't slowing.

6 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

They are also the top two countries building coal fired power plants as well.

I wonder if that might not explain why they are planting so many trees ?

They expect a cross over to coal reduction in a decade or so, that's how long the transition to nuclear is going to take leaving aside if thorium takes off.

Building a coal plant for such a short life span is rather profligate but so are their energy consumption needs.

Cheers

I'll just throw this out. Perhaps carbon emissions will kill us faster than we think...

This is from The Canadian Cryospheric Information Network.

Posted to YouTube yesterday.

3 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

They've been doing it for a long time and it isn't slowing.

Look what the cat dragged in!

2 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I wonder if that might not explain why they are planting so many trees ?

They expect a cross over to coal reduction in a decade or so, that's how long the transition to nuclear is going to take leaving aside if thorium takes off.

Building a coal plant for such a short life span is rather profligate but so are their energy consumption needs.

Cheers

No one seems to mention coal power plants just use huge amounts of clean water to operate, something Australia doesn't have a surplus of.

Yeah.

I'm not a one-eyed nuclear supporter at all although I do think thorium has huge promise, so does Continuous Wave concepts, but nuclear overall makes far less demands upon the environment until it either fails or has to be decommissioned. Thorium is looking to address both those concerns.

But what you say is completely correct J, coal fired plants use a lot of water - Port Augusta is only just beginning to recover some cleaner air as you enter it after decades of the cooling ponds, called "Lake Knockout," being thoughtfully placed right across Highway One...

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

No one seems to mention coal power plants just use huge amounts of clean water to operate, something Australia doesn't have a surplus of.

We are nothing in the scheme of things.

China, India and the USA are the big players.

I don't know why some people here get so up tight about it.

9 minutes ago, twinair said:

Look what the cat dragged in!

You can blame datafast69 and Nich!

13 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

You can blame datafast69 and Nich!

Cats...the two of them.

I'm liking what Droneseed do. They could replenish our burnt out hectares quite rapidly.
Then we just need Dronewater 🤣

I guess the speaks directly to what @Leonid is trying to say - innovation and technology to the rescue...?

Edited by twinair
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Looks like a crappy pine tree to me!

As I get older, my wood gets softer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twinair said:

Cats...the two of them.

I'm liking what Droneseed do. They could replenish our burnt out hectares quite rapidly.
Then we just need Dronewater 🤣

I guess the speaks directly to what @Leonid is trying to say - innovation and technology to the rescue...?

yep, because creating another monoculture proves we are mightier than ecosystems

as logicprobe notes, pine trees.... such an australian option - seemed to do well in almost burning down canberra, but failed to deliver the goods

all the fanbois stating we're nothing in the scheme of things might consider that everyone is in the same scheme, and deciding it's someone else's job would have you apoplectic if people working for you decided that they could ignore what was in the best interest of your business because someone else will pick up the slack

expending precious bodily fluids only if you will directly benefit is not just incredibly selfish, it's totally naive

32 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

yep, because creating another monoculture proves we are mightier than ecosystems

I'm not suggesting we are mightier than anything.

I'm just saying, there are tech companies thinking outside the box. And they have to, because the pathetic humans that are in power, not only don't think outside the box, they can't even think outside their own minds.

Some say they're open minded...yeah right, so open minded their fucking brains have fallen out.

• Like 2

Pine trees are considered noxious in some areas.

Used to have one about 20 metres tall at my house in the 90s - a couple of times a year I'd just pull out the little sprouting ones that had started up in the surrounding tanbark.

The only good pine tree plantation is in Sunny Corner near Bathurst. Used to spend many weekends over there camping and dirt bike riding.

But yeah.

Everyone so far is focusing on the type of trees in the video and not the capability lol

Edited by twinair

2 minutes ago, twinair said:

The only good pine tree plantation is in Sunny Corner near Bathurst. Used to spend many weekends over there camping and dirt bike riding.

you can't just drop in native foliage as tubestock, i think

kuitpo (pine plantation) forest on the adelaide fleurieu peninsula used to do a very entertaining line of mushrooms in winter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

kuitpo (pine plantation) forest on the adelaide fleurieu peninsula used to do a very entertaining line of mushrooms in winter

I get mushrooms around here. No cows....but plenty of deer, certainly helps.

4 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

I don't know. I'm no expert.
Again, I'm just saying it's worth investigating, at the very least. Maybe an expert has already thought it's not worth investigating, I dunno man!

3 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

The lead graphic is rather misleading, Droneseed is dropping pucks which contain around 6 seeds of various species along with fertiliser and an animal deterrent.

Would be interesting to know the propagation/survival rate using this method, but it has promise for reforesting large areas and difficult terrain.

Still reforestation is only part of the solution. By itself not nearly enough to combat climate change.

6 hours ago, Leonid said:

By your estimates - how long have we got before we truly need to go to zero carbon?

Then consider how many coal plants will be built until renewable technology matures and then consider how long it would take to replace all the coal plants now and until that point with renewable energy around the entire world.

Do we make that cutoff date?

If you can't stop a car before you run up the back of another car do you slow down or accept you're inevitably going to collide? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

If you can't stop a car before you run up the back of another car do you slow down or accept you're inevitably going to collide? 

The brembos on my Duke stop me in milliseconds 
So I accept nuzzing! I always stop.

6 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Looks like a crappy pine tree to me!

More than crappy.

Pines like most conifers need a Mycorrhiza in the soil around the roots to help absorb nutrients from the soil, this is precipitated by a fungi, without it they starve, so dropping them from drones and expecting them to root and grow is a stretch at best.

As someone said once "tell em they are dreaming"

8 hours ago, chrisg said:

wonder if that might not explain why they are planting so many trees ?

Fake news. They are doing no such thing

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I look if there are alternatives first.

*Sigh*

I already linked a completely reputable publication that says they are.

Cheers

9 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

because it's impractical to do everything, we need do nothing

It’s impractical to do anything because you’ll achieve nothing. Get it yet man?

Anything YOU do, Anything the West does in any incremental way does NOTHING.

30% of the world’s poorest people live in precisely the geographic area currently experiencing massive emissions growth to eclipse anything we could do.

If you consider the West as Europe, USA, Australia, Canada and New Zealand - our population is equal to China’s. Add India and the third world who are all rapidly increasing their emissions and you will understand.

• Like 1

I think it is fair to say that we all understand your argument, we just disagree with it.

On the principle of "every bit helps" it is foolish to do nothing and by doing all we can we also encourage China, and India to move as quickly as they can.

Cheers

This "fake news" shit doesn't work on people that have an ability to reason well (reasonable people), It only works on Trump numb-nuts, and other conspiracy theorists.

• Like 1