Sign in to follow this  
eveln

NSW / QLD fires

20 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I have to go out, but if you expect them to be able to undo what has taken over a century to accumulate in total  in a matter of a few years I want some of what you are smoking...

Cheers

I expect them to undo nothing.

Which is exactly why I think we should stop focussing on emissions. We neither have the technology nor the capability/time to replace existing vehicles and coal/gas plants with this technology.

To reverse climate change we need to emit less than 1950s levels globally. Even if scruffy1 took his household down to the 0.33kWh/day actually required, none of that matters because China won't and China already by itself emits more than the whole world did in 1950!.

At sub-1950s emissions level globally, natural carbon sinks start taking in the carbon we've thrown up that year + the gap between our emissions and 1950s levels from past years - ie by going below 1950s levels, the planet begins to clean up after our past exploits.

Anything less than that (ie tokenistic zero carbon Australia while China and India ramp up) only slows global warming's acceleration by measly amounts - like a day's delay towards runaway greenhouse or whatevs. 

As I said: We need to start worrying about global warming. What can we do to stop global warming without reducing emissions?

Edited by Leonid

If you think about it, I’m asking a really simple question.

You guys focus on emissions. But emissions only cause global warming due to the sun.

I’m asking the same question but with the knowledge that we’ve been trying to reduce emissions even as they keep going inexorably up.

My question is - what can we do about the sun? It’s an equivalently important source of global warming. Less emissions = less warming, less sun = less warming.

I heard there was some biggish fireworks display in Sydney over the weekend 😕

• Sad 1

On 11/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, Leonid said:

To reverse climate change we need to emit less than 1950s levels globally. Even if scruffy1 took his household down to the 0.33kWh/day actually required, none of that matters because China won't and China already by itself emits more than the whole world did in 1950!.

Hi Jewboy ❤️

China and India's emissions are our fault anyway. The Western consumerism is what drives the Chinese production, so ethical purchases comes into play big time and let's face it - that's not going to happen any time soon.

In my new guise as a Permaculture Designer, we collect data directly from our region with custom hardware (Up through Barrington Tops, Gloucester and all the way up to Nabiac and Port Mac), and the climate data is quite clear that we're going through some rough patches. But in saying that I do not buy into the Climate Change Death Cult - which is what it essentially is at this point. Alarmism, Social Media, and the Extremist Left are driving this alarmism, and it really isn't doing anyone any favours because they complain but do fuck all to suggest alternatives (apart from "MaH rEneWaBleS") - which is a cop out. Any cunt can say that but what are you actually doing for this world? Are you even tending to your own small part of the garden? That's where you start. Shut the fuck up until you achieve that much for starters.

I am optimistic that technology and the free market will step up to the challenge. But I'm bias because of all you fuckers I've been hanging out with for 15 years.

Just remember - one sun fart and we're all fucked anyway. Yes we need to do more - but man, even doing what I do - I'm nowhere near these hippy fucks that like carrying around signs, punching down some cones and tying themselves to trees. Sure, I'll smoke cones and do psychedelics on Dan's roof.. but the rest of that shit I'll leave to the dickheads.

We've been through worse droughts. We've had less rain. We've had bigger bushfires. Yes it's not that simple, but in a way - it is. You can make that your narrative and just move on with life being the most ethical little fucker you can be. Joy to the world.

People need to calm the fuck down, think critically - and gradually move us in the right direction piece by piece.

But when it all comes down to it, you cannot hope to realistically fix an infinitely complex problem like the natural environment or the climate with spoon fed random band-aid politics that may or may not be voted into fruition by an ignorant and divided mass population with conflicting financial livelihoods and interests and ideologies and institutional powers and the tribe's futures at stake  on both sides of the vote. If you really want the environment to be protected you need a group of people who think the same and who would be unified on almost every major aspect to avoid as much infighting as possible. On top of that this group of people would need to be raised or taught to agree that they physically rely on the environment for clean air, food, water and livable temperatures, materials, healthy genetics, etc. Then this group of people would have to have total control over the government, military, economy, infrastructure, borders, environment, etc to implement and secure environmentalism without it being used by or corrupted by bad people in or outside of their own nation.

That means that realistically achievable environmentalism ends up just becoming fascism. Eco-Fascism to be exact.

What slogan should I use for my new Political Party? "Trees not Refugees" or "Bees before refugees"? There is also the potential for ALOT of Compost/Blood and Bone so I would be open to other solutions on the refugee front.

I'll see you at the meeting. And don't stress - I'm cut. So I'm down with Abraham, son.

Peace out homeboy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2019 at 7:58 PM, Leonid said:

As I said: We need to start worrying about global warming. What can we do to stop global warming without reducing emissions?

Well, I could suggest something stupid like geoengineering. But then I would have to admit it is because I have little understanding of the impact it could have when we have too little understanding around the hugely dynamic aspects of the earth.

So I won't suggest anything like that 😉

🙂

I'm fine thanks J, the at risk members of my family are my sister and BinL in Crafers and one of their daughters and family in Heathfield.

The whole lot have bundled up with the irreplaceable items and are spending the day at another daughter's place - five kids and assorted pets, they did not need me in the way so staying home unless needed. I'm only a few minutes away in any event.

So far it seems so good, temp is at 38 here but a dramatic cool change expected tomorrow.

My sister and I went to Port Wakefield yesterday to see another niece who lives there - nice visit but damn the countryside is dry as a bone.

Cheers

VicForests have been illegal chopping down forest outside the area it's supposed to operate ... I guess there's less trees to burn down I guess! VicForests  are government entity ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-20/claims-of-illegal-logging-near-melbournes-water-supply/11696972?section=politics

Edited by Jeruselem

Hope all over east are safe - everywhere is dry as a bone - so many farmers around here are carting water for their stock for the first time in over 30 years and trying to offload stock quickly - which in turn causes another issue.... Lamb prices are already sky high - the highest I've ever seen, Pork prices are rising (with help from South African Swine Flu ravaging Asia), and Cattle prices, which have been steady for the last 2 years, will soon follow suit.  

Several fires ripped through bush & farmland here over the last few days, one was caused by a header comb striking a rock (as if that doesn't speak for itself as to how dry conditions are) with NO harvest movement bans in place and the others by dry storms and lightning strikes.... with a few thrown in by arsonists as well. 

One thing I have noticed is the amount of undergrowth since farmers are no longer allowed to do safe back burns before the season turns into a massive firestorm.  One would think after the catastrophic fires in recent seasons, that back burning / burning off would be back on the agenda... reducing fuel loads and helping to reduce die-back that is more prevalent than ever, thus saving homes and lives.

A lot of places here are down on their average yearly rainfall by over 50%,  which speaks for a very worrisome season.

• Like 1

It's crazy Dev.

I really had not realised how dry it had become until we drove to Wakefield yesterday. Some years ago now but I used to drive that road at least twice a month, never, ever, seen it so dry.

The farmers have done a great job of getting the crops in but of course the stubble still remains. Nowhere near the destructive power of a full bushfire but still destructive, but also easier to contain if the brigades get there in time.

Around Adelaide thus far it is not too bad, the brigades here are well versed in dealing with it, including if it is out in the middle of nowhere just leave it alone and focus on the closer in stuff.

In Port Lincoln, one of my brothers is down that way, they cut power as a precaution but sort of forgot that these days, you cut power you cut comms. Some towers had backup but not many - caused a deal of confusion. However the fire they were worrying about down there is now out in open scrub and no particular concern.

The cool change is due around 5am, but it does not promise any rain so at the moment just a temperature drop.

There is no promise of rain any time soon so just hoping the temps stay cool.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

VicForests have been illegal chopping down forest outside the area it's supposed to operate ... I guess there's less trees to burn down I guess! VicForests  are government entity ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-20/claims-of-illegal-logging-near-melbournes-water-supply/11696972?section=politics

An less rain I guess.

Stupid governments.

12 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

An less rain I guess.

Stupid governments.

Now what do need to encourage to rain more to fill the dams? Trees ...

• Like 1

On the news feed early this morning, QLD police had about ten " juveniles " up for being responsible for a number of fires ...

Was chatting with a bloke and his wife today from Vic. He'd just finished a stint in NSW helping out. We decided it would be good to get all the youngies, too stupid to see that their thrown ciggies would burn, and make them go with the firies doing control procedures whilst tending to fires. Obviously not all the ten together, but send them off one to a team. ffs it's not like there aren't enough fires to share

On 11/18/2019 at 5:35 PM, Damo said:

China and India's emissions are our fault anyway. The Western consumerism is what drives the Chinese production, so ethical purchases comes into play big time and let's face it - that's not going to happen any time soon.

Look at it the other way. Our coal is raising millions (billions?) out of poverty.

That's a yay from me!

On 11/18/2019 at 5:35 PM, Damo said:

That means that realistically achievable environmentalism ends up just becoming fascism. Eco-Fascism to be exact.

Bang on. And we've got one of those: Brendan Tarrant - the Aussie terrorist who shot up a Kiwi mosque.

If you're crazy in one way, you're usually crazy in another.

36 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Bang on. And we've got one of those: Brendan Tarrant - the Aussie terrorist who shot up a Kiwi mosque.

If you're crazy in one way, you're usually crazy in another.

I'm crazy, and I've got pictures that prove you are too 😄 Embrace it bro. You're just an Eco-phobe you dirty bastard.

Replacement theory triggered Tarrant, and I doubt he spent too much time thinking about carbon emissions tbh.

Edited by Damo

7 minutes ago, Damo said:

Replacement theory triggered Tarrant, and I doubt he spent too much time thinking about carbon emissions tbh.

His manifesto

Were/are you a fascist?

Yes. For once, the person that will be called a fascist, is an actual fascist. 
I am sure the journalists will love that. I mostly agree with Sir Oswald Mosley’s 
views and consider myself an Eco-fascist by nature. The nation with the closest 
political and social values to my own is the People’s Republic of China.

Did you always hold these views?

No, when I was young I was a communist, then an anarchist and finally a libertarian 
before coming to be an eco-fascist

Edited by Leonid

14 minutes ago, Leonid said:

His manifesto

Were/are you a fascist?

Yes. For once, the person that will be called a fascist, is an actual fascist. 
I am sure the journalists will love that. I mostly agree with Sir Oswald Mosley’s 
views and consider myself an Eco-fascist by nature. The nation with the closest 
political and social values to my own is the People’s Republic of China.

Did you always hold these views?

No, when I was young I was a communist, then an anarchist and finally a libertarian 
before coming to be an eco-fascist

There are holes all the way up and down his manifesto. Copy Pasta, he contradicts himself multiple times, makes claims (Like communicating with Anders), or Knights Templar.. why bore you, you know what I mean. 

He claims he's an eco-fascist, yet aligns himself with China. He's a complete fuck knuckle, and the only thing that should be taken seriously is that he gunned down 50 innocent people, for whatever reasons were echoing through his skull.

He's pulling your leg Leo. 

I'd love to see more details of his travels prior to the shooting. He visited some interesting places that's for sure - and there's no way he was simply radicalised by seeing the state of Western Europe. 

Edit: Got you out the woodwork either way 😉

Edited by Damo

16 minutes ago, Damo said:

he's an eco-fascist

16 minutes ago, Damo said:

He's a complete fuck knuckle

As you said yourself... these people are basically fucked in the head. The fact that an eco-fascist is a fuck knuckle is akin to the observation that water is wet.

1 minute ago, Leonid said:

water is wet.

Not as wet as I am for you right now Leonid.