Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eveln

NSW / QLD fires

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Damo said:

 

Not as wet as I am for you right now Leonid.

 

Wet enough for bushfire relief?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still very dry in SA but all accounts say the fireys did a magnificent job.

 

The temp has tumbled but no rain yet in sight, a bit scary to think this is not even really the beginning of the fire season.

 

About the only solace I get from that is that the fuel has been burned and probably cannot ignite twice.

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

power network fault

 

Just a bit nebulous.  Did a line come down?  Did a wind generator catch fire?  Did a transformer explode?  That sort of shit happens everywhere, all the time - combine that with the red phosphorus that our guys are calling cropland atm, and I'm not the least bit surprised that a huge fire happened.  I'm more surprised that only 11 homes were lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cybes said:

 

Just a bit nebulous.  Did a line come down?  Did a wind generator catch fire?  Did a transformer explode?  That sort of shit happens everywhere, all the time - combine that with the red phosphorus that our guys are calling cropland atm, and I'm not the least bit surprised that a huge fire happened.  I'm more surprised that only 11 homes were lost.

 

I hope SA aren't using wooden power poles like some places still seem to have sitting around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are still wooden poles in SA, not many so far as I'm aware but certainly some.

 

I can't say I recall power being proactively turned off on high fire risk days much in the past but they certainly did in the Port Lincoln region on Wednesday.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrisg said:

There are still wooden poles in SA, not many so far as I'm aware but certainly some.

 

I can't say I recall power being proactively turned off on high fire risk days much in the past but they certainly did in the Port Lincoln region on Wednesday.

 

Cheers

 

We don't use those in the NT as it's termite central here.

Edited by Jeruselem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, SA is not short on termites either but apparently with the old tar-soaked poles the termites don't touch them.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Yeah, SA is not short on termites either but apparently with the old tar-soaked poles the termites don't touch them.

 

Cheers

 

But it's still wood with it's limited lifespan, wood can last longer in oxygen free environment but in this is case it isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, tbh I don't know why they ever persisted much with wooden poles, never made much sense.

 

I could suspect it was because that is the dominant choice in the UK, but the climate and pests are totally different.

 

The steel reinforced concrete poles make much better sense.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, twinair said:

Every state is on fire.

map1.jpg?w=600

Yep - my step son came from Kalgoorlie to Esperance yesterday - they closed the roads due to the fires about 2 hours after he got through.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we actually got a skerrick of rain early this morning. It was enough to wash my windscreen. By the time I got to work it was gone already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 100,000 litre pool is running low on water and I can't fill it up now that we are on  level 2 water restrictions. I can only put a hose in it for 15 minutes per day.

 

#firstworldproblems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, twinair said:

My 100,000 litre pool is running low on water and I can't fill it up now that we are on  level 2 water restrictions. I can only put a hose in it for 15 minutes per day.

 

#firstworldproblems

 

I usually leave the shower running just in case I want another quick splash in the afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Damo said:

 

I usually leave the shower running just in case I want another quick splash in the afternoon. 

lol ... but you sound like you could be areal turd to live with 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, chrisg said:

The steel reinforced concrete poles make much better sense.

 

 

 

 

they are called stobie poles (for reasons i haven't researched)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

 

 

they are called stobie poles (for reasons i haven't researched)

Invented by James Cyril Stobie.  Thanks Google. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, chrisg said:

The steel reinforced concrete poles make much better sense.

 

Most of Tassie is still treated Eucalypt power poles for the most part. I assume TasNetworks keep using them as they are a lot cheaper than Stobies and relatively quick to replace.

Even Stobies can be severely damaged in fires if they get hot enough and I hate to think how long it would take to replace one of those things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

 

I never knew why they were called Stobie poles either.

 

Cyclone Tracey literally bent some of them over to hit the ground but surprisingly few were uprooted  - can't remember what the clean up crews did with them.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, twinair said:

My 100,000 litre pool is running low on water and I can't fill it up now that we are on  level 2 water restrictions. I can only put a hose in it for 15 minutes per day.

 

#firstworldproblems

 

Fill it up now.

Level 2 on Dec 10.

2 hours ago, aliali said:

 

Most of Tassie is still treated Eucalypt power poles for the most part. I assume TasNetworks keep using them as they are a lot cheaper than Stobies and relatively quick to replace.

Even Stobies can be severely damaged in fires if they get hot enough and I hate to think how long it would take to replace one of those things.

 

That's carbon capture, right there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×