Sign in to follow this  
eveln

NSW / QLD fires

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, DEVERE said:

DFES are evacuating more than 300 people into Esperance this morning, that have been stranded on Eyre Highway near Caiguna, Cocklebiddy, Madura, Mundrabilla, Eucla, Border Village & Balladonia for the past week.  Bloody hot and dry conditions with hotter coming tomorrow - no relief in sight weather wise.   Bush is on fire and a local guy was taken by a great white yesterday...... Fuck this - can we have a re-start to the year?

We started with Townsville flooding in Feb 2019 last year.

Oh yes, WA will get the cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/tropical-cyclone-building-off-the-coast-of-western-australia/news-story/44ee8e0f3a9890190fbb888c9c1cd49a

Edited by Jeruselem

Posted (edited)

Can I just take a moment to retract any flippant remarks I may have made over the years about the personal character of Tony Abbott?

tones.jpg.00e7751a604fd51fc49a7eeb4c353790.jpg

@Leonid You were right, away from parliament, he's a good guy.

Edited by SquallStrife
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DEVERE said:

Fuck this - can we have a re-start to the year? 

Sure you want that? It could be worse.

A cyclone might actually not be a bad thing, provided not too intense, brings lots of rain.

Although I doubt it will go much to relieve things out on the Nullabor.

Abbot has been doing that for years, he's a good guy, just a less than stellar politician.

Cheers

1 minute ago, SquallStrife said:

Abbott

He's a lifesaver too - remember the budgie smuggler memes?

As a politician, he's an unmittigated disaster. As a human being, he has some redeeming features to offset being a raging asshole.

Even Albo, love or hate Labor, is out there spending his own personal money to make life easier for the firies.

TBH I thought some of the earliest bushfire-related criticism of Scummo was perhaps misguided, but as things unfold I'm less and less impressed with our PM and his attitude toward others.

27 minutes ago, chrisg said:

A cyclone might actually not be a bad thing, provided not too intense, brings lots of rain.

Although I doubt it will go much to relieve things out on the Nullabor.

Abbot has been doing that for years, he's a good guy, just a less than stellar politician.

Cheers

Yes that cyclone will probably drift back out to sea again.

2 hours ago, SquallStrife said:

Can I just take a moment to retract any flippant remarks I may have made over the years about the personal character of Tony Abbott?

tones.jpg.00e7751a604fd51fc49a7eeb4c353790.jpg

@Leonid You were right, away from parliament, he's a good guy.

Not many people are all good or all bad

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Yes that cyclone will probably drift back out to sea again.

I doubt it, still coming South East at 9km/h. Only at Cat 1 at the moment but already streaming some very welcome high level cloud eastwards.

Mixed bag, if it stays off shore it gets stronger but potentially destructive, if the, not really even a developed eye yet, makes shore it will devolve into a tropical low but hopefully a nicely rain-filled one.

Some indication of just how dry it has been appeared today. A farm in Quorn, up in the Flinders Ranges received enough rain in the past 24 hours to equal half of the entire past year.

Hopefully Mother Nature is giving us a break.

Something we should not forget is that the seasons have most definitely shifted, nothing to say we are going to get the usual hottest in February until we get there.

Fingers crossed...

Cheers

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I doubt it, still coming South East at 9km/h. Only at Cat 1 at the moment but already streaming some very welcome high level cloud eastwards.

Mixed bag, if it stays off shore it gets stronger but potentially destructive, if the, not really even a developed eye yet, makes shore it will devolve into a tropical low but hopefully a nicely rain-filled one.

Some indication of just how dry it has been appeared today. A farm in Quorn, up in the Flinders Ranges received enough rain in the past 24 hours to equal half of the entire past year.

Hopefully Mother Nature is giving us a break.

Something we should not forget is that the seasons have most definitely shifted, nothing to say we are going to get the usual hottest in February until we get there.

Fingers crossed...

Cheers

Virgin has cancelled all flights heading that way (not sure on Qantas) - roads to be closed 6pm tonight WST.. meaning ALL roads into WA from the east will be closed to fire or flood... although I've been told the Indian Pacific train line is still running at this stage.

Evacuee's from Caiguna etc were lucky to get through when they did, major flare up after they left (not surprised with the heat we've had today)  News reports info was  wrong - over 300 vehicles with over 700 people stranded along Eyre H'way to arrive in town some time this afternoon / tonight (not 300 people as I previously stated).... 

Edited by DEVERE

Hmm,

Depending upon if Coles rail in their orders or not anybody placing on-line orders in Perth this week might find the cupboards bare...

My brother had the same thing few weeks back in Port McQuarie, Virgin cancelled, Qantas tried to land but couldn't and had to divert.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-07/nsw-womans-home-looted-during-bushfire-emergency/11849850

So the lady in the article had looters twice at her home, whilst she and her son had evacuated their property due to fires at Moruya . And that would be one of the main reasons why people really really don't want to leave their homes.

It's bad enough even if you have enough time to gather what you think is necessary to your future but still have to leave a collection of your life behind for fucking looters to pillage through

Seems to me if people are going to behave like savages from medieval times and wantonly set fire to land with the intent to cause terror, and others feel free to loot evacuated dwellings, then I think it's fitting they all be named and shamed openly.

I reckon for the looters and the arsonists : build the old fashioned stocks and lock these people into them in a central spot within the town they looted in and lit their fires in or near to.

They should stay in the stocks all day every day for how ever long and be led to prison each evening.

The locals should feel free to throw eggs ( if it's good enough for pollies ) or mud or  or pooh at them each day.

After the stocks punishment, it would be quite fair to charge them with manslaughter for all the deaths caused by the fires and the worry of not wanting to leave their homes vacant.

I can't believe the lack of media attention on the arsonists.

Edited by eveln

The looters and scammers should be shot in the back.

Then there's the price gougers.  Fair enough supply and demand rules say prices can go up somewhat, but the gougers should be named and shamed.

• Like 1

Rearranging some data among internal and external drives.

Got a path too long error, so look at the problem file.

It was a Hunter Valley flood pic from not too many years ago, supplied by an ex member from here.

well, the air is sydney is back to totally all sorts of fucked up today, again

my throat is burning too, and all i breathed was 2x 5 minute commutes on a motor bike

this is really starting to get silly; pity the poor people who haven't had breathable air for a while; we were at least privileged to have better quality for several days last week

It's just a lottery here lately.  Mostly OK during the days but it's rolled in again already - most nights pretty bad.

Balladonia fire has jumped containment lines - burning both sides of Eyre H'way so that put paid to them trying to re-open that major route from WA to SA tomorrow..... emergency warning from Balladonia to Israelite Bay.... all our fires started from dry storm lightning strikes and later from pyrocumulonimbus clouds.  Our Great Western Woodlands is the largest remaining woodland in the world but the fires have destroyed over 550,000 hectares with more being demolished with this newest flare up.

Norseman & Kalgoorlie have had rain but its still hot and windy here.... Salmon Gums townsite is under threat again but there are hope the dry lake system will hold it long enough for crews to get through near inaccessible bush to stop it tracking further south west.  Majority of fires are 50+ km away but the sky has been loaded with smoke & ash for the past few days.  Could really do with some rain from Ex-Tropical Cyclone Blake.

634081313_ScreenShot2020-01-08at3_45_17pm.jpeg.950be4792a71c02c69d435224e3b7d4d.jpeg

That would be nice...

My youngest brother must be beginning to think the bloody fires are following him, before Christmas in Taree/Port McQuarrie, today he's headed to Kalgoorlie. Not sure how, being he works for the railroad I'd suspect by train but they do quite often take their own supplies in and out by truck. I'd assume if the latter he's going to be telling the boss he ain't going.

Cheers

Mother nature sent a tropical low to the NT to put out all those random bushfires we have up here, how nice of her.

I'm holding my breath that we might really be seeing a shift in the seasons. If it begins to cool off in February then that would suggest it to be the case but no real way to say as yet.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I'm holding my breath that we might really be seeing a shift in the seasons. If it begins to cool off in February then that would suggest it to be the case but no real way to say as yet.

Cheers

We don't want a repeat of last year's temperatures.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/2019-was-australias-warmest-year-on-record-bureau-of-meteorology-confirms/news-story/fda39d97fe882ee1386575309736b2fa

Edited by Jeruselem

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Mother nature sent a tropical low to the NT to put out all those random bushfires we have up here, how nice of her.

we're back to level 1 water restrictions as of this week. I wouldn't say we've had heaps of rain, but definitely had some good showers. Still not wet season stuff tho

Edited by eveln
we were on leve 3 restrictions.
  • Like 1

We'll probably never have no water restrictions again in Sydney, given the unsustainable population growth and BOB CARR'S failure to build the Shoalhaven Dam.