Sign in to follow this  
eveln

NSW / QLD fires

... Now you are just talking common sense....  🙂

Cheers

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-22/andrew-constance-attacks-red-cross-for-bushfire-donation-delays/11890538

" The Australian Red Cross has received $95 million to date and today announced they have allocated $30 million to victims.

A spokesperson said the organisation has paid out 559 grants but has 1,492 open applications.

St Vincent De Paul has raised $12.5 million and spent close to $1.1 million through financial packages for eligible households.

Since the Salvation Army's bushfire appeal began in November, $43 million has been pledged and $11 million has been received.

From September to now, $7.6 million worth of goods and cash relief has been distributed. "

For organisations whose sole purpose in life is to help those in need, this is all just too bloody slow. Shit has been hurting some folks since November last year . Shameful

Well if you park that money in short term high yield investments, you get the interest and then return the rest and no one is wiser!

(Banks do this all the time)

A fire started near the airport yesterday.  I expected it'd be gone but I was out at Fyshwick getting fuel.

Electricity got cut off so my fill was interrupted.  Thought I'd go to Queanbeyan but no, the fire is about 200m from Canberra Avenue now.

Cops everywhere around there mostly doing traffic control stuff.

Was going to use Lanyon Drive to get to Qbn but the traffic on Monaro Hwy was a slow moving carpark so I thought stuff that.

I drove to Woden and even the traffic lights near the hospital (some distance away) were out, though the next set up towards Hughes were OK.

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Doesn't say if he was on a drop run.

That would be at least two Hercules lost fire fighting, I hope it does not turn out to be a fault trend.

I'm a little surprised Canberra is still suffering Ry, Adelaide has cooled way off and not showing much sign yet of boiling back up.

Cheers

23 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Doesn't say if he was on a drop run.

That would be at least two Hercules lost fire fighting, I hope it does not turn out to be a fault trend.

I'm a little surprised Canberra is still suffering Ry, Adelaide has cooled way off and not showing much sign yet of boiling back up.

Cheers

Mum is travelling to Canberra ...  not by plane, airport is closed.

4 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Mum is travelling to Canberra ...  not by plane, airport is closed.

Yeah, hotter over there than expected, hope your mum travels safe.

Cheers

1 minute ago, chrisg said:

Yeah, hotter over there than expected, hope your mum travels safe.

Cheers

I've done that trip via coach, when it was cooler and not scorched earth.

🙂

Only ever flown it, be a long trip by coach.

Cheers

It's not all that hot here, got to maybe 34 but it's been windy as buggery much of the time.  Some rain but not really enough to put out fires.

The coast got near to 40 but looks like mid 20s now.

That water tanker that went down was on charter from America and had an American crew:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/us-firefighters-mourn-crew-lost-in-snowy-mountains-air-tanker-crash/news-story/bf0b26f3fe2a4150ec1cae4394984b17

Those guys risk their lives doing that stuff as their daily job I suppose - doesn't make it any the less sad.

Cheers

Absolutely crazy weather - the east coast is baking in between mud falling from the sky and meanwhile SA is struggling to break 20C in Adelaide today.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Absolutely crazy weather - the east coast is baking in between mud falling from the sky and meanwhile SA is struggling to break 20C in Adelaide today.

Cheers

According to Scomo, it's the new NORMAL. Yeah!

1 minute ago, Jeruselem said:

According to Scomo, it's the new NORMAL. Yeah!

Hah,

He doesn't know what normal is - but that doesn't surprise me much.

Cheers

The fire could be at our doorstep before the sun's up again.  At one point the Orroral Valley fire was growing at 400 ha per hour.

It was started by a faulty landing light on a helicopter.

I've driven southside the last 2 days, once you get to the Woden area it almost looks like a volcano going off.

• Sad 2

Blowing from the south, almost never does that.  But barely noticable.

They're saying too late to leave Tharwa now.  It's only a bit over 3km from the southernmost suburbs.

crikey, be safe Rybags. we're having rainy times here ... wish you were too

AD & Fenn are down that way still AFAIK but a couple of suburbs up/east.

I'm about 30km from the action for what that buffer's worth.

😞

it's bad enough breathing all that stuff without being torched