Sign in to follow this  
eveln

NSW / QLD fires

For those who haven't seen it (not everyone peruses reddit):

https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/ew160j/why_the_australian_media_misleads_us_on_bushfire/

Ever wondered why the scientists (the only people with authority on the subject) tell us that climate change is the reason why these bushfires are so severe, but the media say otherwise?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Channel 7

The channel's parent company, Seven West Media is owned by Kerry Stokes, who's connected to Beach Energy Ltd. (fossil-fuels), and also to Woodside Petroleum (fossil-fuels).

His son, Ryan Kerry Stokes, is CEO, MD & Non-Independent Executive Director of Seven West Media, and is a director of Beach Energy Ltd (fossil-fuels).

John Alexander, a director of Seven West Media, is connected to Strike Energy Limited (fossil-fuels).

Michael Malone, a director of Seven West Media, is connected to Longreach Oil Limited (fossil-fuels) and State Gas Limited (fossil-fuels).

---

Channel 9, The Sydney Morning Herald & The Age

The channels' parent company, Nine Entertainment Co.'s chairman is Peter Costello, former deputy leader of the Liberal Party, and Australia's longest serving Treasurer. He is connected to Aurizon Holdings Limited (fossil-fuels).

Paul Koppelman is Chief Financial Officer at Nine Entertainment Co.. He is connected to BHP (fossil-fuels), China Resources Power Holdings Company (fossil-fuels), and XCD Energy Limited (fossil-fuels).

Samantha Louise Lewis is a director of Nine Entertainment Co. She is also a director of Aurizon Holdings Limited (fossil-fuels). She is connected to Akastor ASA (fossil-fuels), Anglo American plc (fossil-fuels), Aurizon Holdings Limited (fossil-fuels), Woodside Petroleum (fossil-fuels), Viva Energy Group Ltd (fossil-fuels), Golder Associates Inc. (fossil-fuels) and Quadrant Energy Holdings Pty Ltd. (fossil-fuels).

Patrick Newton James Allaway is a director at Nine Entertainment Co., and is connected to Washington H. Soul Pattinson and Company Limited (fossil-fuels).

Rachel Launders is Secrety and General Counsel of Nine Entertainment Co., and is connected to Viva Energy REIT (fossil-fuels) and Aurizon Holdings Limited (fossil-fuels).

---

Channel 10

The channel's parent company, ViacomCBS's president, CEO & director is Robert Bakish, who is connected to the Council on Foreign Relations (fossil-fuels, military-industrial complex).

Shair Redstone is the chairman of ViacomCBS, and she's a member of the Council on Foreign Relations (fossil-fuels, military-industrial complex).

Candace Beinecke is a director of ViacomCBS, and is connected to Tejon Ranch Co. (fossil-fuels).

Fred Terrell is a director of ViacomCBS, and is connected to Arconic Inc. (military-industrial complex), Dow Inc. (fossil-fuels, military-industrial complex), and the Council on Foreign Relations (fossil-fuels, military-industrial complex).

---

ABC

Kirstin Ferguson is deputy of the Australian Broadcasting Corp., and she's connected to the APA Group (fossil-fuels) and Santos Limited (fossil-fuels).

Peter Lewis is a director of the ABC, and is connected to LongiTech Smart Energy Holding Limited (fossil-fuels), Polytec Asset Holdings Limited(fossil-fuels),

Vanessa Guthrie is a director of the ABC, and is also a member of the Australian Institute of Mining and Metalurgy (fossil-fuels). She's a director of Santos Limited (fossil-fuels), and is connected to Orica Ltd. (fossil-fuels) and Murray & Roberts Holdings (fossil-fuels). She was previously vice president of sustainable development at Woodside Energy, Australia's largest operator of oil and gas production.

---

SBS

Christine Zeitz is a director of SBS, as well as being chief executive at Leidos Australia (military-industrial complex), and is connected to BAE Systems (military-industrial complex).

Peeyush K. Gupta is a director of SBS, and is connected to Genesis Energy (fossil-fuels).

---

news.com.au, The Australian, Daily Telegraph, mX, Herald Sun, The Courier-Mail, The Advertiser, The Mercury, Northern Territory News + many more

Run by News Corp, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who has shares in and is on the board of directors for Genie Energy

(fossil-fuels). He is connected to BlackRock (world's largest fossil-fuel investor), Loews Corporation (fossil-fuels), and General Electric Company (fossil-fuel industry and military-industrial complex).

His son Lachlan Murdoch is co-chairman of News Corp, and is connected to Koc Holding AS (fossil-fuels).

Antoinette Cook Bush is executive VP & global head of government affairs at News Corp. He is connected to FutureFuel Corp. (fossil-fuels).

José María Aznar is a director of News Corp, and is connected to Dominion Energy Midstream GP LLC (fossil-fuels).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The media is bought and paid for by special interests. We have to know who we definitely CANNOT trust, and be discerning when cross-referencing the rest.

IOW, if you get your information solely from Australian news sources, you're getting nothing but propaganda.

Yes,

One  name I sort of disagreed with, just a little, in there was Mike  Malone. Mike's just a useful name these days,  iiNet very much burned him out, I really wonder if he even attends board meetings.

The other half of iiNet, the merger with Internode that brought in Simon Hackett for a time was even more anti-fossil fuel, Simon had one of the first Teslas in Australia as an example.

I've no doubt that there is a monstrous amount of influence goes on in our media but there is also  lot of guilt by association which may be unmerited.

Stokes, no, he has made no bones about the money he has made in fossil fuels but Woodside do plough an awful lot of money into renewables and sustainability as do Santos and some of the others implicated.

It is one very, very complex situation where over-simplification can be dangerous.

We cannot for example just turn off fossil fuels and not just because of the energy extracted, it is also the primary feedstock for plastics and other features of modern life that it would be a disaster to just cut -off.

Coal I really do wish we could get rid off, as quickly as possible, but oil and gas are so intertwined to our society that it is going to take a very long time to transition to alternatives and we may never in the foreseeable future see the end of their exploitation. It is however extremely crude to be just burning them.

Too long a list to go all the way through but some of these people are probably not even aware of the links themselves.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Brother and family (+ Mum visiting) are in Canberra. They've already copped all that smoke from NSW but the fires are at the doorstep now.

christ Jeruselem, that sucks. Hope they be keeping safe

Edited by eveln
no need of " 's "

I left home yesterday morning and was at Narooma yesterday arvo/night so travelled through a lot of burnt areas.   Currently staying near Tomakin which is between Batemans Bay & Moruya.

Clyde Mountain was the first real sight of it, the ground cover is gone in plenty of areas and the typical large tree of 20-40 m height is burnt to about 2/3rds up with the crown sometimes intact.

There was the charcoal type smell of it all around, where inland it was mostly the smoke stench that was ever present.  Now can't really smell anything unusual (probably used to it).

Some areas where it's burnt up to the road and not crossed, some where houses were surrounded and spared - though it's the general strategy with fighting out of control fires to just look after the people/property.

Firefighter intervention made a differnce of course but in some places houses gone where you'd expect to survive and in others nearby trees and forest a charred mess but the houses all OK.

To top off a great fortnight for me, hit a kangaroo at about 90 km/h on the way back last night which has dented the bonnet and fender probably beyond repair and buggered the indicator.  And the big coastal winds have buggered the fibreglass reinforcing poles for my tent (go inland a couple of km and it's dead calm usually)

The amazing thing about a lot of these affected areas - the fuel load on the ground is gone but the trees though charred and losing a lot or all of their leaves will probably bounce back.  In a few years it might be hard to see where the fires were.

An eerie sight is some of the road signs - sometimes with 5+ metres of clear space around them but paint melted to the point of still legible but looking like a crusty JPG that you've zoomed in so much that the viewer is approximating the picture by rounding the pixels.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 2

Yeah..............the roadsigns are melted mostly but there's a section.............I think it was near Bewong where they are completely obliterated.

20 minutes ago, Rybags said:

have buggered the fibreglass reinforcing poles for my tent (go inland a couple of km and it's dead calm usually)

find four walls and a roof to stay in !!

It really is crazy how the native trees come back - my sister tells me that up at Cleland they can still see the evidence of Ash Wednesday on trees that have happily gone on growing.

Cheers

Now. IIRC the head dude of NSW fire dept. was also, like our PM, away for the beginning of the summer holidays. I do recall him standing at a news conference apologising for his absence at the beginning of the traditional start of the fire season. This apology was  just after the storm had already begun to descend on our PM

So it's sort of strange to read how he is being haled here in this article, imo. He's managed to get himself filmed over and over again with some great publicity ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51230844

" "You've been there from the beginning doing everything within your power to bring an end to these horrific bushfires," reads one social media post that has been shared 20,000 times. "

" "You are the only person that I and probably many of the people of Australia have any trust in at the moment." "

Seriously I think The PM could and should take some PR marketing tips from Mr Fitzsimmons, or at least his PR team perhaps.

The media is too gutless to criticise the firies.

And they give oxygen to ex-firies missing the limelight.

And Mum has lost power and Internets in Canberra, only mobile phone coverage.

They usually turn power off as a precaution and that downs the net - whereabouts in Canberra are your family?

Cheers

So hot still there that it might be loss due to overload.

I'm in Lk Conjola and have it 4 degrees lower than ACT for my troubles.

On the way up - trees with bark burnt to carbon 2/3rd up but sprouting new green growth less than a month later.

Though it's weird seeing mature trees sprouting at almost reachable height, maybe that's part of the regeneration mechanism.

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

They usually turn power off as a precaution and that downs the net - whereabouts in Canberra are your family?

Cheers

Power is back, they are way North part of Canberra.

The EvoEnergy website had an outage listed for a couple of Gungahlin suburbs, likely a transmission fault.

I think much of the power is delivered from the North and Northwest so the fires so far have probably not affected the big picture.

They usually keep the big towers pretty clear of nearby trees so maybe they're mostly immune?

Supposedly the solar site at Royalla is under threat but again not much around except grass.

I'm guessing the infrastructure installed was not designed for 40C temps and something had to fail.

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

I'm guessing the infrastructure installed was not designed for 40C temps and something had to fail.

It's designed for higher than that but old transformers are the first to succumb to the heat.............usually in a spectacular fashion!

1 minute ago, LogicprObe said:

It's designed for higher than that but old transformers are the first to succumb to the heat.............usually in a spectacular fashion!

Seen some of those explode on YT, yikes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Seen some of those explode on YT, yikes.

I was out at Campbelltown aboyut 20 years ago................just came out of the Johnson and Johnson factory which was on a hill and there was a storm brewing....

Suddenly! Out of nowhere a lightning bolt hits the power pole with a tranny on it right across the road!

(couldn't hear the tranny explode for the thunder)

Of course I shoved the van into gear and hightailed it out of there!

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Looks like real rain is finally here!

Believe it when it happens.

Had a bit over a day and a half down the coast.

Just got home not long ago, went through Nowra, Kangaroo Valley then onto the Hume Hwy.

Last time barely 2 months ago I took a slight detour through Exeter and Bundanoon.  Supposedly Bundanoon copped it pretty badly from the fires early January.

Went the more direct route, saw little signs of fires once past Nowra.  But having done Narooma through Nowra about 3 times in the last year, it was a big difference each time.

But funnily enough there's places around that aren't irrigated and showing no signs of drought and would probably just about be immune to the fires - though it's not guaranteed to stay that way.

Edited by Rybags

Here's some great news.  /sarcasm

Both the fires inside the ACT were accidentally started by humans (the Orroral Valley fire which has burnt an area almost the size of Sydney was started by a helicopter landing light)

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6608096/canberra-airport-fire-started-by-sentinel-beehive-operation/?cs=14225

The fire near the airport started as a result of a bee smoking operation gone wrong.

Edited by Rybags
  • Sad 1

Ya see Rybags, what it really is, is that climate change has made people more stupid. And there for more likely to make mistakes that cost lives and most likely, billions of dollars to fully recover from. So you see it's ALL the fault of climate change.

Edited by eveln
is

Wait... How bad would those issues have been if it weren't so dry? Would they have been issues if everything wasn't waiting for the slightest spark to light it up?