Sign in to follow this  
eveln

NSW / QLD fires

I don't watch TV much but it's usually on when I have to traverse through the lounge room to somewhere else.

I guess all that praying for rain worked for Scomo, it's just it's all turned up at the same time.

The forecast here said heavy rain 2 days in a row and it got revised down to less than that the day before each.

It's been rain on and off since about Friday but except for a few periods has been fairly pathetic.

The week ahead view says possible/showers/increasing every day for the next week.  I've got an overflow of laundry and fuck it, it's in the machine going now.

BoM seem to not have a clue and play the game of telling you what you want to hear half the time.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

The forecast here said heavy rain 2 days in a row and it got revised down to less than that the day before each.

It's been rain on and off since about Friday but except for a few periods has been fairly pathetic.

The week ahead view says possible/showers/increasing every day for the next week.  I've got an overflow of laundry and fuck it, it's in the machine going now.

BoM seem to not have a clue and play the game of telling you what you want to hear half the time.

The BOM has to do the worst case scenario since the debacle in Brisbane.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:23 AM, Rybags said:

The loony left would happily see us paying $5 per litre for fuel and 50c kWh for electricity.

Then they'd be the first to whinge when food prices suddenly jumped by a third.

According to  loony right sources, you are correct. 

On 2/8/2020 at 8:23 AM, Rybags said:

The loony left would happily see us paying $5 per litre for fuel and 50c kWh for electricity.

Then they'd be the first to whinge when food prices suddenly jumped by a third.

Which actually could be likely given the continuing drought Australia wide and the fires everywhere - 260,000+ hectares of farming land was just ripped through in the last few days not far from here from a lightning strike - I don't know total numbers of burnt out lands here but its nudging up near 2.5million hectares - a lot of farmers are de-stocking their surplus stock so they only have minimal stock for breeding purposes due to lack of feed and water.  I'm putting money on the price of beef and lamb, all dairy and cereal crops to reach new records this year (I seriously hope I'm wrong - but its looking likely)

Edited by DEVERE
  • Sad 1

And a new problem ... ASBESTOS from old housing sudden appears. Asbestos is fine if undisturbed but now we got wrecked homes with asbestos.

Yes asbestos is a great heat resistant material which kills you if you breathe it in

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/asbestos-fears-linger-for-nsw-residents-following-bushfires-20200211-p53zpf.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1581965306

Edited by Jeruselem

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-23/why-you-should-think-twice-before-picking-up-a-stick/11931414

" If you've ever picked up a stick in a park or reserve to help lever yourself over the rocky patches and up the hills, or just to poke at stuff, you probably thought you weren't doing any harm.

But Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Services wants track users to think twice about picking up walking sticks.

" "People's small actions can actually have a very large impact over time," the Parks and Wildlife Service's Tracey-Ann Hooley said.

"Lots of people pick up sticks to use as a walking stick and take it out of the bush.

"When lots of people do that, it can have an impact."

A walking stick is much more than just a stick, she said, it could be material for an eagle nest, an ant highway, a sunbed for a skink, or a home for fungi. ..."

more in link.

How do you get a healthy compromise between the importance of what Parks and Wildlife services try to achieve and the human desire to live the way we want and where we want , without suffering the horrors of this one Spring /Summer season ?

if you need a stick maybe you need to take your own

and not leave it behind

I used to laugh and go WTF about those walking poles... but apparently they can give you near 20% efficiency gain.

Walking stick as in picked up one... usually just a security blanket though, if you use it for rebound it'll likely break on you.  But can be handy to help keep your footing but with that reliability risk.

I carry a stick always when walking on the beach here. For two reasons, the steepish grade of the beach and to give a decent wack to any unwanted predator. But it's a cut off stick Walt fashioned for me. It has some body to it. Wouldn't hold up against a five meter croc, but might give me an inkling of an advantage ... hopefully.

Still though, leaving the debris on the ground is no answer to the horrors of this last two seasons

Better get yerseff a croc stick!

Got to be a Simpsons sketch in that somewhere.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Better get yerseff a croc stick!

Got to be a Simpsons sketch in that somewhere.

Haha,  but it's serious bizness these days.