Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eveln

NSW / QLD fires

Recommended Posts

What ?

 

You think I am an expert on everything ?

 

Sorry if I disabuse you of a notion.

 

A very long time ago in my rather more adventurous days I contemplated becoming a smoke jumper in Canada.

 

Didn't work out, I came to Australia but I do keep an interest in many, many things.

 

In the aftermath of the Ash Wednesday fires I became involved with a group that wanted CL-215 water bombers here in SA.

 

That didn't work out either.

 

I've stayed interested - bit difficult not to be when you get a fire at your back fence as I did in WA.

 

I read a lot, recently I read several articles on water bombers.

 

I support Australia getting some, specifically CL-415s

 

Now, what was your query, or did it elude your attention span ?

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, datafast69 said:

tenor.gif.7dfb3826e8ff63d94c1c04bb0270ae41.gif

I was just playing on the "Know your burns"

 

The post was excellent though, at least the theory of back burning and creating fire breaks is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, datafast69 said:

It's everyone on the planets problem as it effect us all.

 

We can't stop China creating gulags and reeducation camps in 2019 for their Uyghur population.

And you think we can get them to stop their insane rate of coal use expansion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leonid said:

 

We can't stop China creating gulags and reeducation camps in 2019 for their Uyghur population.

And you think we can get them to stop their insane rate of coal use expansion?

No, we have no control over others, but we can control what we do. Lead by example, rather than aid others by taking a position where they can use it as a justification to do nothing.

 

Just as you are using others positions in this to suggest we do nothing.

 

Taking the stance you have, Leo, is helping in the avoidance of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chrisg said:

 

Now, what was your query, or did it elude your attention span ?

No query. Your bullshit is incredibly demeaning and slanderous yet again. Seriously. fuck off with that

 

8 hours ago, chrisg said:

However a lot of firefighters I would bet muddle it up, especially the volunteers - in fact some may never had heard the term "hazard burning."

 

8 hours ago, chrisg said:

 No, when it comes to fires I know what I read and nothing  much more.

what the fuck

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, datafast69 said:

No, we have no control over others, but we can control what we do. Lead by example, rather than aid others by taking a position where they can use it as a justification to do nothing


So how’s that going given we lead by example with representative democracy?

 

”lead by example” presumed they want or need to be led. The Chinese have no interest in doing so.

 

None of your cute “Blame game” or “Lead by example” fact-derailers actually escapes the fundamental facts. In the scope of global climate change, the total effect of what Australia could accomplish by reducing our emissions to zero - is sweet fuck all.

 

There would be an incredibly valid argument if the world’s biggest polluter was also reducing - but they’re not. Their rate of increase is actually climbing and shows no sign of abating.

Edited by Leonid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leonid said:


So how’s that going given we lead by example with representative democracy?

 

It depends on what they care more about. They could be staunchly about control over their people but at the same time trying to fit in with the rest of the world on things like there still being an inhabitable planet for a few hundred more years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

 

It depends on what they care more about. They could be staunchly about control over their people but at the same time trying to fit in with the rest of the world on things like there still being an inhabitable planet for a few hundred more years. 


The last 20 years of breakneck emissions increase at an ever-growing rate of increase does not inspire confidence.


The Chinese care about lifting themselves out of poverty and becoming energy rich. The cheapest and quickest way to do that is coal power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm,

 

I disagree with a great many things that the Chinese do, forcible removal of whole populations, "re-education camps," late-term abortions and yes, their unenviable record with pollution,

 

Their problem is the sheer mass of people that they have to attempt to deal with and short of genocide, which you could argue they almost practice with their  late abortions - a product of the now somewhat relaxed one child policy, it all makes for everything being wholesale.

 

So, at the moment they are producing a lot of pollution, but they are continually trying to curb it. They have reduced traffic pollution considerably, are rolling out more new reactors than coal fired plants, are deep into thorium research and yes, the have huge tree planting programmes. I don't know what more they can do really because if they do less they will lose control of their population and that way lies another revolution.

 

It is not even a case of lead by example, it is a case of every bit helps, we can only do the best that we can.

 

I would also note that we do not know enough to be certain that putting a strain on the carbon load in one part of the world puts as much of a strain on the global load as we suspect that it does. It may seem like common sense but simply put we do not know that it is so, certainly between the hemispheres or whether GHG atmospheric loading takes a very long time to migrate globally with most of it going straight up relatively speaking.

 

I prefer very much to err on the side of caution and assume that reducing it everywhere will have a global impact but we do not know. There are still people arguing that but for our impact we would be in another, overdue, ice age and those that query what impact volcanoes have. I used to wonder about the last one myself but the fact is we can't control volcanoes we can try to control our emissions.

 

Constantly harping on about what China and India are doing is, to put it bluntly a fucking waste of time. They know, they are doing the best they can.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leonid said:


So how’s that going given we lead by example with representative democracy?

 

”lead by example” presumed they want or need to be led. The Chinese have no interest in doing so.

 

None of your cute “Blame game” or “Lead by example” fact-derailers actually escapes the fundamental facts. In the scope of global climate change, the total effect of what Australia could accomplish by reducing our emissions to zero - is sweet fuck all.

 

There would be an incredibly valid argument if the world’s biggest polluter was also reducing - but they’re not. Their rate of increase is actually climbing and shows no sign of abating.

So do nothing and revel in the fact you are more of an enabler than anything else.

 

Enough of wasting my time with you, have a pleasant day 😘

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when we run out of dinosaur compost to burn, and succumb to our folly of expansionism in a small closed sphere, at least we can rest in peace until some future sentient thing evolves and they can burn the human detritus that will have formed new oil deposits

 

 

yes, capitalism may the best way for "lifting yourself out of poverty" when the cycle is new (for the first few hundred years of industrialisation), but as a mature process it neglects the very real issues of finite resources and implicit contamination of the biosphere

 

no, i don't think we are going to head into the final frontier in a time scale that will save us, and certainly not if we don't we stop throwing metaphorical stones at the other tribes and waste huge resources on totally crazy bullshit

new i-thing, anyone ?  time for my annual round the world holiday because i earned a break working so hard and growing my business ?  maybe a new car ? or a macmansion with no eaves next to other aspirational voters in some godforsaken outer suburban gulag, with my aircon fighting vainly against the created heat island i have washed up on in my dystopian capitalist fantasy

 

yeah, i know think global, act local is a tired concept, but mostly because even the woke are mainly completely ignorant (and in denial) as to their footprint

 

 

a baby can only drink mother's milk and shit in its nappy until mum dies, and unless the baby can change itself, it will die a shitty death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruce Deliversrants Walker

luckily, a few mates had made copies. 1f609.png?_nc_eui2=AeF9zJSDy1on-UIEHD0bt;)

hi everyone. my name is bruce walker, you might remember me from ABC TV yesterday, i'm one of the survivors of the wytaliba fires of last friday november 8th, 2019.

responding to this well informed ****wit here - Anthony - just anthony. (okay, zuckerberg? no last names.) 🙊

so mate - first up, i've been an RFS volunteer for close to 20 years, and am part of the highly regarded Wytaliba RFS - one of the most respected and hardened crews on the northern tablelands and beyond. our crew number over 50 and include decorated vets of ash wednesday and many other national disaster catastrophic level fires.

so - regarding hazard reduction. let me fill you in.

for my time here, we used to do managed hazard reduction whenever it was viable in winter.

however - sadly, the moment gina and rupert went halves and purchased the LNP wholesale, we saw a MASSIVE increase in wholesale industrial logging across the nation.

tell me, anthony - do you garden? do you use MULCH?

compare a mulched garden to a non-mulched garden. you'll see a near instant difference. if you're not schooled on how soil works, try standing all day in the sun with no hat on. what happens?

that's right, anthony. your head gets ******* hot.

that's what's happened to the planet. now. as anyone who's dabbled in, you know... physics, will spell out better than i can - an increase of just one degree is quite significant.

another neato thing physics talks about is the water cycle, anthony.

you see, part of the water cycle is this cool thing called "transpiration"

it's part 4 of this essential way in which trees send up moisture to meet clouds, creating low pressure troughs which draw rainfall inland.

in fact, it's physically impossible to get rain on the lee side of a mountain, without trees doing this very thing. impossible. ask the residents of the atacama desert in chile - who haven't had rain for one THOUSAND years. why? no ******* trees, anthony.

so anyway, back to the greens enacting a ban on burnoffs - that time we elected them to majority government and they had the final say.

when was that again, anthony? i'll wait.

nah. lets move on, since we ALL know this was never a thing . ever.

so anyway - here in wytaliba, we used to have an incredibly green lush valley - right up until industrial loggers finally broke in to compartments to our north. right about this time, there was a near instant and significant drop to our vital streamflow. this happened again after each and every highland logging operation - and with LNP slashing and burning every national park in sight, well... you know, lets' not go there. climate change is a hoax, right?

so wholesale burn quotas came in with LNP too. this... well.. i just want to pause here and say "wow" because this did indeed make us say wow.

in recent years, we've seen hazard reduction burns take place completely surrounding our once green, lush valley. so much so, that after the last july burn - of an area once supplying most of our water - well... 27 years of no burn had left a healthy and regenerating semi-arid rainforest. now it's simply arid nothing.

despite this burn and 3 more last year, we got the following result - fires flared up in this dry mulch-less wasteland and burned for 6 weeks, destroying 2 more former rainforest areas, leaving them also tinder dry and unable to transpire - hasn't actually rained a drop since then. weird. almost like cause and effect took place.

clouds pass over, for sure. they get rain on the tablelands even - but - as physics reminds us, when air drops, it warms, expands, and rather than raining, sucks even more moisture from trees and soil.

oh well.

i mean, this is normal for australia, isn't it? watching 200 or more year old trees slowly wither and die right in front of you. that's normal. happens all the time. rivers dry up too, even though ours is home to platypus - who aren't known for travelling much - and hasn't dried up in probably 100,000 years minimum. until last summer, and it's been bone dry since august. this has never happened in my entire 25 or so years here. no local elders remember such a thing. wow.

now, we all know about the bees nest and kingsgate fires and the hundreds more around the state. my crew and many other heroic RFS volunteers have been fighting them for months on end. yet another back-burn actually got lit up about a month ago, on our south side, just half an hour before high southerly winds were due. the responsible paid agency, then ran out of paid hours, packed up and left it to spot onto our property and threaten 80 homes.

we're like the mujahideen of firefighting though, so we got it after about 10 days nonstop hectic battle with the help of RFS crews from as far away as Sydney.

this... brings us up to date, anthony.. we've got bare, blacked out dust for 50km in all directions. right up to the actual eaves of half the homes here.

which is why, friday's hellstorm caught all of us by surprise, anthony.

a mushroom cloud went up at 3pm, 20 or so km away. within an hour or two, high winds turned that into a 20km long front - strangely, this front was on ground burnt black as recently as 3 weeks ago - crown fires too, since every tree was literally a giant matchstick with dead leaves and nothing else.

this then switch to 80km/h southerlies and rained hell on 3500 acres of already blacked out ground.

well... you can't say we didn't prep or do hazard reduction redneck style, can you ant? or can you?

curiously, within 1 hour we'd lost 20 homes, a school, a fire-shed, and a concrete ******* bridge - meaning only 2 outside units even got in to help.

falling trees in the hundreds blocked the old grafton road, so no one could even help neighbours.

by dawn, of 80 homes in our community, 52 were lost, 2 dead (one a sex party voter, the other apolitical - this one is for you, barnaby ******* joyce) 😉 we had many injured, thousands of local animals died, and.. it' looks like a warzone here. which it did almost before, except we had homes.

so, Anthony, and ALL you ******* armchair experts out there, tell me. how again, was this the greens fault?

thanks.

bruce walker, DIEHARD NSW - wytaliba RFS member and survivor.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156474446796821&set=a.198211841820&type=3

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Constantly harping on about what China and India are doing is, to put it bluntly a fucking waste of time. They know, they are doing the best they can.


They’re doing amazingly well at increasing the rate of yearly emissions growth year on year. Definitely.

 

28 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

So do nothing and revel in the fact you are more of an enabler than anything else.

 

Enough of wasting my time with you, have a pleasant day 😘


I didn’t say “do nothing”. I just mean don’t bother reducing Australia’s emissions.

 

Do what humans have always done. Build technology to overcome challenges by adapting to them or circumventing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Leonid said:


I didn’t say “do nothing”. I just mean don’t bother

 

 

try as i might, the subtle difference is lost to me

 

the immortal quote of "who shat in my pants?"  springs to mind

 

 

18 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Do what humans have always done. Build technology to overcome challenges by adapting to them or circumventing them.

 

 

fuck yeah !  let's send our heat into space... oh, hang on, industrialisation has been crocheting one fucking huge doona for the planet for a few centuries, and it's not getting any less fluffy

 

you're like people using a generator in a pit, realising that they need to climb out just before they succumb to carbon monoxide, and as they start up the ladder they are overcome before they can escape

 

 

 

 

once you chow down all these boiling frogs, i guess you might realise there's a food problem

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

Bruce Deliversrants Walker

luckily, a few mates had made copies. 1f609.png?_nc_eui2=AeF9zJSDy1on-UIEHD0bt;)

hi everyone. my name is bruce walker, you might remember me from ABC TV yesterday, i'm one of the survivors of the wytaliba fires of last friday november 8th, 2019.

responding to this well informed ****wit here - Anthony - just anthony. (okay, zuckerberg? no last names.) 🙊

so mate - first up, i've been an RFS volunteer for close to 20 years, and am part of the highly regarded Wytaliba RFS - one of the most respected and hardened crews on the northern tablelands and beyond. our crew number over 50 and include decorated vets of ash wednesday and many other national disaster catastrophic level fires.

so - regarding hazard reduction. let me fill you in.

for my time here, we used to do managed hazard reduction whenever it was viable in winter.

however - sadly, the moment gina and rupert went halves and purchased the LNP wholesale, we saw a MASSIVE increase in wholesale industrial logging across the nation.

tell me, anthony - do you garden? do you use MULCH?

compare a mulched garden to a non-mulched garden. you'll see a near instant difference. if you're not schooled on how soil works, try standing all day in the sun with no hat on. what happens?

that's right, anthony. your head gets ******* hot.

that's what's happened to the planet. now. as anyone who's dabbled in, you know... physics, will spell out better than i can - an increase of just one degree is quite significant.

another neato thing physics talks about is the water cycle, anthony.

you see, part of the water cycle is this cool thing called "transpiration"

it's part 4 of this essential way in which trees send up moisture to meet clouds, creating low pressure troughs which draw rainfall inland.

in fact, it's physically impossible to get rain on the lee side of a mountain, without trees doing this very thing. impossible. ask the residents of the atacama desert in chile - who haven't had rain for one THOUSAND years. why? no ******* trees, anthony.

so anyway, back to the greens enacting a ban on burnoffs - that time we elected them to majority government and they had the final say.

when was that again, anthony? i'll wait.

nah. lets move on, since we ALL know this was never a thing . ever.

so anyway - here in wytaliba, we used to have an incredibly green lush valley - right up until industrial loggers finally broke in to compartments to our north. right about this time, there was a near instant and significant drop to our vital streamflow. this happened again after each and every highland logging operation - and with LNP slashing and burning every national park in sight, well... you know, lets' not go there. climate change is a hoax, right?

so wholesale burn quotas came in with LNP too. this... well.. i just want to pause here and say "wow" because this did indeed make us say wow.

in recent years, we've seen hazard reduction burns take place completely surrounding our once green, lush valley. so much so, that after the last july burn - of an area once supplying most of our water - well... 27 years of no burn had left a healthy and regenerating semi-arid rainforest. now it's simply arid nothing.

despite this burn and 3 more last year, we got the following result - fires flared up in this dry mulch-less wasteland and burned for 6 weeks, destroying 2 more former rainforest areas, leaving them also tinder dry and unable to transpire - hasn't actually rained a drop since then. weird. almost like cause and effect took place.

clouds pass over, for sure. they get rain on the tablelands even - but - as physics reminds us, when air drops, it warms, expands, and rather than raining, sucks even more moisture from trees and soil.

oh well.

i mean, this is normal for australia, isn't it? watching 200 or more year old trees slowly wither and die right in front of you. that's normal. happens all the time. rivers dry up too, even though ours is home to platypus - who aren't known for travelling much - and hasn't dried up in probably 100,000 years minimum. until last summer, and it's been bone dry since august. this has never happened in my entire 25 or so years here. no local elders remember such a thing. wow.

now, we all know about the bees nest and kingsgate fires and the hundreds more around the state. my crew and many other heroic RFS volunteers have been fighting them for months on end. yet another back-burn actually got lit up about a month ago, on our south side, just half an hour before high southerly winds were due. the responsible paid agency, then ran out of paid hours, packed up and left it to spot onto our property and threaten 80 homes.

we're like the mujahideen of firefighting though, so we got it after about 10 days nonstop hectic battle with the help of RFS crews from as far away as Sydney.

this... brings us up to date, anthony.. we've got bare, blacked out dust for 50km in all directions. right up to the actual eaves of half the homes here.

which is why, friday's hellstorm caught all of us by surprise, anthony.

a mushroom cloud went up at 3pm, 20 or so km away. within an hour or two, high winds turned that into a 20km long front - strangely, this front was on ground burnt black as recently as 3 weeks ago - crown fires too, since every tree was literally a giant matchstick with dead leaves and nothing else.

this then switch to 80km/h southerlies and rained hell on 3500 acres of already blacked out ground.

well... you can't say we didn't prep or do hazard reduction redneck style, can you ant? or can you?

curiously, within 1 hour we'd lost 20 homes, a school, a fire-shed, and a concrete ******* bridge - meaning only 2 outside units even got in to help.

falling trees in the hundreds blocked the old grafton road, so no one could even help neighbours.

by dawn, of 80 homes in our community, 52 were lost, 2 dead (one a sex party voter, the other apolitical - this one is for you, barnaby ******* joyce) 😉 we had many injured, thousands of local animals died, and.. it' looks like a warzone here. which it did almost before, except we had homes.

so, Anthony, and ALL you ******* armchair experts out there, tell me. how again, was this the greens fault?

thanks.

bruce walker, DIEHARD NSW - wytaliba RFS member and survivor.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156474446796821&set=a.198211841820&type=3

A good read, thanks

 

Bruce sorta says someone other than the RFS or volunteers was responsible for the hazard burns. * looks confused *. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

try as i might, the subtle difference is lost to me

 

Instead of jumping out of the warming frying pan and into a fire see if there's an alternative before shit gets too hot on the pan?

 

That work for you?

 

28 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

fuck yeah !  let's send our heat into space... oh, hang on, industrialisation has been crocheting one fucking huge doona for the planet for a few centuries, and it's not getting any less fluffy

 

you're like people using a generator in a pit, realising that they need to climb out just before they succumb to carbon monoxide, and as they start up the ladder they are overcome before they can escape

 

 

 

 

once you chow down all these boiling frogs, i guess you might realise there's a food problem


The lack of creative thinking is stunning.

 

Hell not even creative thinking. You're like the guy who thinks sunburn is inevitable because we don't have the technology to protect skin in any of a number of ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tassie and Kiwis are sending additional firefighters to Queensland now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you are a person expecting to be saved by a valiant prince from a nasty dragon, but unfortunately you are burning yourself and fail to recognise that self harm is pathological

 

 

instead of turning down the heat, you think all you need is a better teflon to be invented so you aren't stuck while you burn

 

 

your idea of creativity is my idea of denial - i'm really creative, but i'm not really incapable of assessing danger by expecting it will be fixed by someone else's exertion

 

the lack of support you show for people who aren't "lifting themselves out of poverty" might be reflected against your inertia in the face of pulling the planet out of a cycle of wanton destruction to improve the fiscal bottom line

 

 

you might apply your work ethic to the long view, and realise by breeding you have acquired a responsibility to the future (and not just by leaving them a trust fund, but somewhere to use it)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

you are a person expecting to be saved by a valiant prince from a nasty dragon, but unfortunately you are burning yourself and fail to recognise that self harm is pathological

 

 

instead of turning down the heat, you think all you need is a better teflon to be invented so you aren't stuck while you burn

 

 

your idea of creativity is my idea of denial - i'm really creative, but i'm not really incapable of assessing danger by expecting it will be fixed by someone else's exertion

 

the lack of support you show for people who aren't "lifting themselves out of poverty" might be reflected against your inertia in the face of pulling the planet out of a cycle of wanton destruction to improve the fiscal bottom line

 

 

you might apply your work ethic to the long view, and realise by breeding you have acquired a responsibility to the future (and not just by leaving them a trust fund, but somewhere to use it)


You’re approaching Kimmo levels of miserableness in that your only solution is defeatism and blaming the wrong people.

 

Here are the simple axioms about climate change:

1. GHG emissions are warming the world due to higher concentrations and the actions of the sun on said particulates.

2. GHGs aren’t national. It’s not “job done” if Australia drops emissions to zero tomorrow.

3. The only players growing their emissions are developing countries - the worst of these is China. Their growth rate is Australia-sized emissions increases every 3mo and the pace is increasing.

4. In order to counteract China’s emissions growth, the rest of the world would have to switch off the equivalent of 4 x Australia’s total emissions per year.

5. To switch off a coal power plant without replacing it with another fossil fuel one like gas - you need baseboard renewable energy. This is barely possible at this stage. It costs a lot and more importantly it takes years to build.

 

The simple conclusion is that we can’t reduce emissions and anything we do is going to take too long + be ineffective. We already have a model for this utter lack of usefulness and we call it “the Public Service”.

 

Just like the public service, emissions discussions consume most of the time to achieve absolutely nothing because nothing is achievable and there’s no actionable global accord.

 

So stop talking emissions reductions.

 

Start talking technology and adaptation. GHG’s are activated by the sun. Why not a sun shield to reduce the sun’s rays until we can sort out what we need to do with emissions? What about GHG scrubbers

?

 

A quarter of emissions come from food production. How about lab-grown meat?

 

Humans are an ingenious species. There is ample evidence of this.

 

Why we keep going for left-wing anti-human defeatism is utterly incomprehensible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hardly think I am defeatist.

 

The thing that is incomplete about the otherwise ingenious scrubbers is that they do not separate out and sink carbon whilst releasing oxygen, they only compress the CO2 for what is vaguely described as "other uses" - dry ice I suppose.

 

It's not enough ,what we need is scrubbers that complete the cycle back to separated carbon that is then sunk back into the environment whilst oxygen is released.

 

At the moment trees are a no-brainer :

 

https://www.wri.org/blog/2018/09/6-ways-remove-carbon-pollution-sky

 

So get planting 🙂

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, chrisg said:

The thing that is incomplete about the otherwise ingenious scrubbers is that they do not separate out and sink carbon whilst releasing oxygen, they only compress the CO2 for what is vaguely described as "other uses" - dry ice I suppose.


That was a 3s google.

 

The point isn’t what they can’t do. The point is it’s utterly defeatist to think that we can arrest emissions rise in China for utterly sensible reasons (lifting their population out of poverty) - while ignoring the role of technology AND relying on unworkable equations that sees us shut down our base load as quickly as developing countries bring it online.

 

3d ago I walked away from a sale where the customer wanted to get assurance of 100Mbps/50Mbps on 4G in a shipyard so that the company could quickly access their files on a file server.

 

The problem he’s solving isn’t solvable because he’s solving the wrong problem. The right problem to solve is getting rid of the file server.

 

Similarly emissions are the problem - they’re the cause of it. If we focus on the problem, there is probably a way to work around it or manage it or reduce it. It’s what we’ve done in our entire existence as a species.

Edited by Leonid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone here of the “climate catastrophe” persuasion gathers enough strength to look past their own navel there a really good moment you should look at in the July Democratic debate.

 

There, an exact parallel of me (coalition voting reactionary far right capitalist token middle aged cisgender white male) by the name of Andrew Yang states that we’re too late by a decade to arrest climate change - that its a China problem, that we need to start moving people to higher ground, invest in technology and economic development and consider geo-engineering.

He also says that America produces only 15% of the world’s emissions and won’t be able to arrest climate change because America’s not the problem - China is.

 

This position isn’t a case of left/right. It’s a case of:

a. Are you sentient?

b. Do you understand basic arithmetic?

Edited by Leonid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't worry leo

 

your genetic legacy will cook along with the rest of us when science isn't able to solve an increasing problem, and your ideas will die with all the ones you oppose

 

 

 

here's a simple axiom :  it's not all about you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it were so simple.

 

I'm all for technological solutions but I doubt any one will be some magical fix. It will be (I'm an optimist) a combination of things and whilst we look for them we should plant more trees.

 

Unfortunately your "sun screen"  is beyond us at the moment. It would actually be the very best solution especially if combined with broadcast power. We could modulate the sun to apply enough heat but not too much and meanwhile if the whole screen were composed of PV cells we could provide a hell of a lot of power to reduce the carbon load in the first place - possibly even get rid of it all together.

 

There are stepping stones to that however, one of which might be another hobby-horse of mine - beanstalks.

 

I'm sure we will eventually have materials strong enough to pull off the beanstalk but the question is more how much energy, and therefore how much potential pollution might one involve ?

 

The better approach really is to accelerate space tech enough to get to be self-sustaining in orbit or at the La Grange points and then build a stalk or three down. Once you have them earth's power problems go away - there is plenty of it above the atmosphere, trick is getting to it.

 

If you have beanstalks you don't need broadcast power you just need decent super conductors to funnel power down the stalks. I'm frustrated that we do not yet have decent super conductors but they are getting closer.

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×