Sign in to follow this  
eveln

NSW / QLD fires

I know of one or two at0micans  who live in proximity to these fires

I'm not on any of the other sites that might be connected to them , so am just wondering here if those who are could maybe update on here

• Like 1

My younger bro is in Taree, cut off at the moment but otherwise fine.

His present plan is to fly out from Port  McQuarrie on Tuesday.

Other than not being able to leave he's fine at the moment, chatting on text.

He works on the railways, keeping the tracks running and putting trains back on them basically, not much phases him but they had to quit early yesterday, too much smoke.

Not much we can do except chat to him but Taree doesn't look threatened.as yet. He's been out of town to  save some kit I think, on his way back into Taree now.

Cheers

I've travelled the entire length of the NSW coast from the Victorian border to Coffs Harbour this year (though not all in one go).

South Coast was really green in March, when I went back about 2 months ago it was dry except areas in the Bega Valley that were irrigated.

North of Sydney just 2 months ago was nice and green and I was told a couple of days ago that it's not quite the case now.

Probably lucky it's cold down this way with occasional rain ATM and similar for most of the south coast.  How they go when it gets to summer though is anyone's guess.

On 11/9/2019 at 5:20 PM, Jeruselem said:

Add WA to that list as well ...

https://www.emergency.wa.gov.au/

Yep - although not in a highly populated area and about 4 hours from me... anyone wanting to travel the Nullabor might want to wait a bit... it's a damned long way around if you want a sealed road.

IMG_3791.JPG

Photo from Kalgoorlie Miner Newspaper

Edited by DEVERE

That's a very scenic route indeed LOL

NSW people, check ya kid's school isn't closed tomorrow!

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/better-to-be-cautious-300-schools-to-close-in-sydney-and-nsw-due-to-fire-danger-20191111-p539cs.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1573445320

Education Minister Sarah Mitchell said the number of closed schools would "rise considerably" on Tuesday as the Department for Education takes a "cautious" approach to bushfire safety on advice from the Rural Fire Service (RFS).

Edited by Jeruselem

So far as we know my bro is still there - cell coverage is pretty patchy, no sure if he will get out tomorrow, the prognosis is not very promising at the moment.

Cheers

In theory my bro is on his way out right now, he was on a 10.20 Qantas flight from Pt McQuarie. But Virgin cancelled their flights from the Port today - I can't reach him and the Qantas site doesn't say if they have cancelled flights.

Guess we will know soon enough.

The fires have been all around the area, the last I heard from him he was at the airport.

Cheers

I'd imagine it could, not so much take-offs as landings. Port McQuarie is a regional airstrip , not much in the way of landing aids I would think, not even sure it operates night flights.

At the moment I''m thinking no news is good news.

Cheers

An airport without any electronic landing assistant systems will have issues with pilots being unable see the airport It's not ideal.

Edited by Jeruselem

Hmm,

His flight has been cancelled - figuring out what to do next.

Cheers

PMQ is a decent size airport and they are usually okay in shitty weather - they're in the 'big regional' category, like Proserpine - not in the 'I'm not getting in that crop duster' category like Coonabarabran. I've landed there in storms and fog and stuff many times. Flights were okay yesterday, had people flying in and out (got a lot of ex-workmates around there, plus the firies flying in and out). If they're now cancelling flights is there too much ash and crud in the air, rather than just poor visibility?

Heard on the Facetards that RFS firefighters in QLD or NSW were having their fuel cards bounce, and having to buy diesel out of their own pockets, can anybody confirm or deny?

I'm imagining that if anything, it's just a "system down" type situation, rather than anything malicious or clerical.

3 minutes ago, SquallStrife said:

Heard on the Facetards that RFS firefighters in QLD or NSW were having their fuel cards bounce, and having to buy diesel out of their own pockets, can anybody confirm or deny?

I'm imagining that if anything, it's just a "system down" type situation, rather than anything malicious or clerical.

Dunno could be telstra towers not working or something ... happens

I love stories that start with "A mate of mine told me..."

lG0ALpu.jpg

Dunnno with Pt McQuarie airport Fenn,  according to my brother Virgin cancelled everything quite early, Qantas circled but apparently did not land because it was too smokey. His employer is sorting out some accommodation in town hopefully and fingers crossed it will clear for them to fly out tomorrow.

Smoke can be very deceptive from above, utterly solid seeming whilst from below you can see an aircraft for example.

There are only the two of them there as it happens, which is good from the point of view of finding accommodation, I've no idea if people have been emptying out of the place being it has been somewhat threatened or if it has been an evacuation centre. More commonly he is lead on a team of four or more, guess they were just doing a recce for some future work.

From the sound of it the Big Elvis choppers have been doing great work.

Not heard from him since about midday so not sure if he has found some digs or not, or come to that if comms are down.

There's a lot of fires around, my other bro lives north of Pt Lincoln and there have been fires there today but apparently not headed his way.

Cheers

35 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Dunnno with Pt McQuarie airport Fenn,  according to my brother Virgin cancelled everything quite early, Qantas circled but apparently did not land because it was too smokey. His employer is sorting out some accommodation in town hopefully and fingers crossed it will clear for them to fly out tomorrow.

Smoke can be very deceptive from above, utterly solid seeming whilst from below you can see an aircraft for example.

There are only the two of them there as it happens, which is good from the point of view of finding accommodation, I've no idea if people have been emptying out of the place being it has been somewhat threatened or if it has been an evacuation centre. More commonly he is lead on a team of four or more, guess they were just doing a recce for some future work.

From the sound of it the Big Elvis choppers have been doing great work.

Not heard from him since about midday so not sure if he has found some digs or not, or come to that if comms are down.

There's a lot of fires around, my other bro lives north of Pt Lincoln and there have been fires there today but apparently not headed his way.

Cheers

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/bushfires-affect-flights-airports-in-nsw/news-story/ab33fe4beb20b113a53d85b564427996

I guess this is why there's no planes moving there

6a443b58c942ab4a89b6c3c681a1e460?width=6

Yeah.

Just had my bro back on SMS, he has a bed for tonight and provisional for tomorrow if needed so he's just going to sit it out - not much else he can do.

I gather he was going to volunteer but they have plenty of people, it's kit they are a bit short of relative to the number of fires ongoing.

Those pics certainly put it in perspective, just as well he is not asthmatic...

Cheers

Yeah,

It's very much becoming a "perfect storm."

Cheers

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-12/barnaby-joyce-greens-council-bushfire-victims/11696654

" Barnaby Joyce says NSW bushfire victims 'most likely' voted for the Greens "

" Mr Joyce made the comments as he sought to attack Greens politicians for what he said was a failure to support hazard-reduction burning during winter.

In recent days, the Greens have attacked the Coalition for failing to have any climate change policies that could have prevented the loss of lives in the fires raging along Australia's east coast.

Greens Senator Jordon Steele-John took the attack further in the Parliament on Tuesday, where he accused senators of being "arsonists". "

Great - the pollies bicker whilst Australia burns - all we need....

Cheers