Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DEVERE

Chinese Whispers & Vegan Militants

Recommended Posts

Saturday was a busy day for Vince Garreffa at his Perth Butchery, Mondo Meats (Mondo Di Carne).  James Warden and his cohorts decided that Vince was a great target (especially after their dual interview on ABC's Flashpoint where Vince hardly got more than a handful of words in and the recent media stirring of the pot prior to the Melbourne Cup ) because he is the only butchery in Australia that has a license to sell horse meat.... Vince responded by playing Classic Italian music via his large PA system and drowning out the activists on their megaphones...in reading both stories, it's rather interesting to see how a story can be twisted in the telling.

 

PerthNow: https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/meat-lovers-face-off-with-direct-action-everywhere-protestors-at-vince-garreffas-butchers-in-inglewood-ng-b881377739z?fbclid=IwAR1M5Y_8pfHw_fk7C5Id8STC9h7b79_AhKXiLunMFTTr1Q-tNxKVEbY32uo

 

Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7667407/Militant-vegans-protesting-outside-Vince-Garreffas-butcher-Perth.html?fbclid=IwAR1Rbn8hf3MbHEMpp-uAXbhAIyDvms6dWpftVvY2_AiOIKwux1kBIjNqA9o

 

You'll notice in the second story how pro-meaters allegedly pelted the protesters with meat - yet in the first story, one pro-meater allegedly just baited the protesters by waving meat at them.

 

In the first story 70 supporters of Vince turned up - in the second there was 300..... and just to top it off - Vince sent out bottles of water for the protesters since it was 40 degrees, but apparently it was refused on principle.

 

Either way - it appears the vegans don't count leather shoes & bags as animal cruelty 🤣🤣

 

DISCLAIMER:  yes, I own a small retail butchery and no, I don't care if you eat meat or don't eat meat - my point is don't take away my right to choose.  My best friend is vegan and we have a great relationship.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The second is a British trash paper. Might as well read new idea for news. But yeah, militant vegans are their cause's own worse enemies. They just entrench people in opposition to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do vegans and those protesting horse meat feed their pets ?  Serious question.

 

Dave Hughes' family thinks they have a bout of worms. I think he's got at least two school-age kids. Anyway the kids were not too bothered when they realised it would mean they got to eat a square or two of that choc. combantrin. Dave didn't want to eat it though cos it's got milk fat in it and he's a vegan. His co host ( radio show ) and others were telling him that it was a must for him otherwise the family worm issue would not be dealt with. I've no idea whether he eventually ate it, the drivel was just tooo much and I turned off the radio

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Might as well read new idea for news. 

 

To be fairer... it's probably not a bad news source, relatively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eveln said:

What do vegans and those protesting horse meat feed their pets ?  Serious question.

 

Dave Hughes' family thinks they have a bout of worms. I think he's got at least two school-age kids. Anyway the kids were not too bothered when they realised it would mean they got to eat a square or two of that choc. combantrin. Dave didn't want to eat it though cos it's got milk fat in it and he's a vegan. His co host ( radio show ) and others were telling him that it was a must for him otherwise the family worm issue would not be dealt with. I've no idea whether he eventually ate it, the drivel was just tooo much and I turned off the radio

 

he could harden the fuck up and just swallow a vermox tablet

 

mebendazole is pretty agnostic as to the vehicle it gets marketed in; the combantrin is to make it yummy for kids, just like the dog's tick and flea tablet is in a meat flavoured "pill"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Leonid said:

 

To be fairer... it's probably not a bad news source, relatively.

 

I've read worse - had a WA friend from QLD message the second new clipping to me... kinda makes you wonder what other stories are being made up that people take for gospel lol.... "It's on the internet from a Newspaper, so it must be true" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, eveln said:

Dave didn't want to eat it though cos it's got milk fat in it and he's a vegan.

 

F'ing vegans.  No shit, that group is as strongly fucktarded as the antivaxers and JWs - they'd rather screw their own health and that of their children than accept actual proven medical intervention at the cost of damaging their imagined purity.

 

Look, I don't give a rat's whether you (figurative - not pointing fingers) eat meat or not - that's your own ethical choice.  Frankly, I don't give much of one whether you choose to keep living or not.  What annoys the hell out of me is when you try to force your choice onto others (most especially me), and when you have the unmitigated gall to complain about the negative consequences of your own actions that you knew about before making the decision.  There's a reason the land is cheap under the flightpath - you don't get to complain about the noise.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cybes said:

Look, I don't give a rat's whether you (figurative - not pointing fingers) eat meat or not - that's your own ethical choice. 

 

quick point of personal privilege: please refrain from using animal based idioms, or at least consider providing a trigger warning in future kthnx

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice though how the UK rag did point out the hypocracy of the protestors with leather bags and shoes.

 

I was alfresco beef steaking the other day and this skinny guy walked past and said "You should be having a vegan meal!"

 

I replied "Hey, it was vegan when it was in the paddock!"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

 

quick point of personal privilege: please refrain from using animal based idioms, or at least consider providing a trigger warning in future kthnx

Gave me my first really good laugh for the day ! Thanks muchly 

 

@scruffy1 IKR ?! 

I used to find Dave Hughes great fun.These days I get the feeling his natural humour has been drained. Dare say it's the lack of proper nutrition, and his mental acuity is duly suffering because of it 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His work is a mixed bag.  The adlib stuff on ABC and The Project was top-notch.  He was on The Footy Show (AFL) for a while but didn't see much of it.  His live DVDs also hilarious - but most of this is 5-15 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt pre-vegan era. He's like an 'old woman' these days, with far toooo much invested in social media 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, eveln said:

No doubt pre-vegan era. He's like an 'old woman' these days, with far toooo much invested in social media 

And more than likely therein lies the reason these people are so loudly vociferous these days...the instant gratification of social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.... that and the media just LURVE to report bullshit stuff instead of real news.

Edited by DEVERE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

 

Vegans, vegetarians, an awful lot of my family are one or the other but at least they are not religious about it - don't care that I eat meat in other words.

 

It's going to make Christmas a bit interesting this year though,  one of my nieces is hosting and she is not exactly going to be serving up turkey and ham...

 

Think I'll have my "proper" meal Christmas eve and be nice on the day  🙂

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chrisg said:

🙂

 

Vegans, vegetarians, an awful lot of my family are one or the other but at least they are not religious about it - don't care that I eat meat in other words.

 

It's going to make Christmas a bit interesting this year though,  one of my nieces is hosting and she is not exactly going to be serving up turkey and ham...

 

Think I'll have my "proper" meal Christmas eve and be nice on the day  🙂

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

Admittedly we don't have the "Traditional" Christmas Feast - because seriously - we make upwards of 3,000kg of hams in store and bob Christmas Day I am sick to death of the sight and taste of them haha.  We tend to stick with seafood & cold chicken lol.

 

I feel I should also mention that Vince is one of WA Lifeline Ambassadors - a charity for which he has raised over $2,000,000.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

You always hear from the loud ones. Plenty of vegans out there who don't preach. 

 

 

Yes, I'm well aware of that 😁  Mentioned something to the fact in the OP  👍

 

Edited by DEVERE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DEVERE said:

Admittedly we don't have the "Traditional" Christmas Feast - because seriously - we make upwards of 3,000kg of hams in store and bob Christmas Day I am sick to death of the sight and taste of them haha.  We tend to stick with seafood & cold chicken lol.

 

I feel I should also mention that Vince is one of WA Lifeline Ambassadors - a charity for which he has raised over $2,000,000.

 

🙂

 

Yes, doubt he'd recall me but I have met Vince, however I did not know he legally sold horse meat 🙂

 

It's an odd one actually, although we do regard horses (quite rightly) as magnificent animals that we should not eat I feel much the same about bulls but I love a good steak.

 

As with many things I suppose it's perception, the French call horse-meat "Cheval" and it is happily eaten. The difference is between horses that are bred for meat and ones that are bred for riding and racing which honestly are only of much use as cat and dog food at the end of their lives.

 

A lot of Australians feel the same way about offal, but it is slowly changing.

 

I can understand too much ham being too much of a good thing. My family has tried the seafood route in the past but tend to be very traditional.

 

I THINK my vegan niece does eat seafood so I might get lucky  🙂

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fliptopia said:

Probably. It has been a long time since you wrote that. At least for my memory. 

Any drier and that humour would snap  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DEVERE said:

And more than likely therein lies the reason these people are so loudly vociferous these days...the instant gratification of social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.... that and the media just LURVE to report bullshit stuff instead of real news.

Granted Hughes is a tv / radio dude, so all net gossip shit is probably to his benefit to stay abreast of it all. As a listener whilst driving, listening to radio hosts go on about the latest twitter etc. crap gets really old also annoys me that their sessions can be seen live 

and things happen via the visual feed that the listener driving cannot access ... it's irritating imo 😉 

\...and there endeth my wee bitch session

 

I posit it's only loud and vociferous if you listen / watch ... again the beauty of not doing commercial telly,  and fb and twitter etc shines ... I think everyone should give commercial telly,  and fb and twitter etc the flick 😛

Edited by eveln

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be popular with my personal views.

I'm against consumption of horses, while I lived in the country I had to take care of a few, they are indeed magnificent animals.

 

The problem is the human animal sees everything as a consumables, and tries to separate ourselves from other species using our over inflated reality distorting egos.... using BS justifications.

"but we are special,"  "we are not animals"

"god put everything on the earth for us to use!"

 

Edit: Then we also need to look at the fact that in western society we consume far too much protein, and this has detrimental health implications. Then there is the environment, growing meat requires very large areas of land and water, land that used to be forests.

Edited by datafast69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rybags said:

I replied "Hey, it was vegan when it was in the paddock!"

In reality cattle are not even vegetarian, more sort of incidental omnivores as they eat all sorts of insects and things with their grass. They will also happily chew on any bones they find lying about even cow bones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

Then there is the environment, growing meat requires very large areas of land and water, land that used to be forests.

Edited 28 minutes ago by datafast69

I guess if the cattle aren't using it them it will be mining for the win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eveln said:

I guess if the cattle aren't using it them it will be mining for the win.

Or reforestation so we can try and slow climate change, this is the view of the majority of worlds scientists, that we can't just rely on reducing CO2 emissions, that alone is not enough, we also need to reforest very large land areas also.

 

A big ask with governments and individuals within populations that deny climate change as being a real thing, and a real threat to the long term existence of our species.

 

11,000 scientists around the world just the other day submitted a petition on climate change being a catastrophic threat.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-06/climate-change-emergency-11000-scientists-sign-petition/11672776

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×