Sign in to follow this  
NZT48

why tourism advertising should not be funded by government

Luke 6:31 New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA)
Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Other states/countries funding tourism advertising here means wealth is taken from here to there. If we want wealth here then we should let their wealth stay there. If there is no government funded tourism advertising anywhere then the total wealth that exists would be greater because wealth is not wasted on advertising. People will come here anyway because of word of mouth.

Do you know how "chuggers" work for charities? 

Do you know why Coke spend so much on advertising? 

Edited by fliptopia

1 hour ago, fliptopia said:

Do you know how "chuggers" work for charities?

No. I don't know what "chuggers" are.

1 hour ago, fliptopia said:

Do you know why Coke spend so much on advertising? 

I assume because it works.

You don't want foreigners coming to Australia spending money here then?

1 hour ago, NZT48 said:

No. I don't know what "chuggers" are.

I assume because it works.

Chuggers is a portmanteau of charity mugger. Those people who try to sign you up for monthly donations to a charity. Do you know how they work? 

And yes, Coke advertise because it works. They already have a successful product but they know if they stop being as visible then other competing products get more of a look in. Brand loyalty diminishes and word of mouth is minor compared to advertising when you require massive customer counts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NZT48 said:

Other states/countries funding tourism advertising here means wealth is taken from here to there.

how is wealth taken from here? 

9 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

I assume he means government funds go to advertising agencies in other countries but worded it clumsily. 

foreigners put money into the economy of whatever country they advertise in.

advertising campaigns are judged on their ROI.  whatever we spent putting Paul Hogan on american TVs in the 80s we made back in spadesBefore the campaign, Australia was approximately number 78 on the "most desired" vacation destination list for Americans, but became number 7 three months after the launch, and soon became number 1 or 2 on Americans' "dream vacation" list, remaining in that position for most of the next two decades

when other countries advertise here, we make money. but to make sure that translates to a net profit i guess we could ban Australians travelling overseas.

• Like 1

Living in a tourist area as I do, I wouldn't mind if more Aussies spent their holiday dollars here in Aus. I can quite honestly say that it's been largely domestic market that has kept me gainfully employed. In a way, I think given the ease with which the www. has brought the world to most of us, it does seem a little redundant to sell tourism as per the past. I get what fliptopia says about continuously putting the product out there, but not sure it's quite the same as this ...

i'm up for advertising being banned altogether

the interweb can have sites linked to search engines (yay! banggood), but unless i'm asking for it, my relationship with advertising should be like consensual sex rather than (visual +/- audio) assault

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

You don't want foreigners coming to Australia spending money here then?

I don't have a problem with it. I just think we should apply The Golden Rule.

4 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Chuggers is a portmanteau of charity mugger. Those people who try to sign you up for monthly donations to a charity. Do you know how they work? 

And yes, Coke advertise because it works. They already have a successful product but they know if they stop being as visible then other competing products get more of a look in. Brand loyalty diminishes and word of mouth is minor compared to advertising when you require massive customer counts. 

Yes; I know how "chuggers" work.

I like to think we can be different.

2 hours ago, @~thehung said:

Sorry; I should have explained that more. Wealth is taken from here when we respond to the advertising and go there and spend our money there.

2 hours ago, @~thehung said:

foreigners put money into the economy of whatever country they advertise in.

advertising campaigns are judged on their ROI.  whatever we spent putting Paul Hogan on american TVs in the 80s we made back in spadesBefore the campaign, Australia was approximately number 78 on the "most desired" vacation destination list for Americans, but became number 7 three months after the launch, and soon became number 1 or 2 on Americans' "dream vacation" list, remaining in that position for most of the next two decades

when other countries advertise here, we make money. but to make sure that translates to a net profit i guess we could ban Australians travelling overseas.

I'm not denying advertising has worked; I am just saying we should apply The Golden Rule.

13 minutes ago, NZT48 said:

I'm not denying advertising has worked; I am just saying we should apply The Golden Rule.

which to my understanding is "he who has the gold, makes the rules"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well advertising the best bits of your country is well above chuggers. I'm just saying that even bad advertising that seems to bring in trace amounts of money for years brings in more money for a business (or in this case businesses... Many of them) than sitting on your hands and hoping word gets around. 

People's livelihoods depend on that business coming in all over Australia. 

1 hour ago, NZT48 said:

The Golden Rule is in Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12.

Um. now I am baptised Catholic and went to Catholic schools and even a Sunday school for a bit ... but the bible, any part of it is foriegn to me .please enlighten me.

1 hour ago, NZT48 said:

The Golden Rule is in Luke 6:31 and Matthew 7:12.

it's a fair rule indeed, and i agree with the principle

it falls down a bit in some circumstances, like say, being a surgeon - where what you do to others isn't necessarily something you'd want to have done to you, unless you had say appendicitis after taking out their appendix

but in general behaviour it's a decent idea

so in terms of proselytising, should christians not expect to have other religious (or non-religious) beliefs pushed upon them as reality ?  because that's also what luke and matthew are proposing

in some schools of philosophy they'd say "what goes around, comes around", or even simpler "karma"

• Like 2

A book of outdated ideas, and fictional stories.

Sells well though, marketed well....advertised by folk waving it at others when the chance presents 😊

12 hours ago, NZT48 said:

People will come here anyway because of word of mouth.

People will come here if they can afford it and if they're not scared they'll be blown out of the sky or simply fall due to lack of aircraft maintenance. People will come here if they can make it on rickety old boats and don't die through disease or being eaten by sharks or crocodiles, or killed by bored pirates.

The thing is we sent a lot of our industry off shore and sold a lot of our other stuff to foreigners and well we need tourism big time now.

Edited by eveln

hmmm.... by sheer coincidence i just happened upon this version of the golden rule

... and a lot of the rest of the world is pretty fucked up too, cos shitty Gov. and what ever else seem to be making millions of people leave their own countries, and someone is managing to herd all these people like cattle to countries that cannot fully sustain their selves let alone look after a lot of other people who ran away. So in a way spending big bucks on tourism is sorta futile cos the masses are busy just trying to stay alive and those with actual spare cash already know where to go to escape the hoards of unwashed heading to tourist destinations in order to survive not have a holiday.

1 hour ago, eveln said:

Um. now I am baptised Catholic and went to Catholic schools and even a Sunday school for a bit ... but the bible, any part of it is foriegn to me .please enlighten me.

Matthew 7:12 New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA)

‘In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.

3 minutes ago, NZT48 said:

Matthew 7:12 New Revised Standard Version, Anglicised (NRSVA)

‘In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.

And how exactly do you want to make that work with your current theme of Gov. spending ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, eveln said:

And how exactly do you want to make that work with your current theme of Gov. spending ?

go on holidays overseas if you are prepared to have international tourists come here

if you read that literally