Sign in to follow this  
datafast69

Is there an easier way to activate Win 7 on a new PC other than the PITA phone activation?

As the title says.

I had my OEM win 7 on an 11 year old PC and a mate gave me a slightly newer PC and of course as it's a different mobo MS aren't allowing activation, bastards!

The phone activation is a complete PITA, been there done that before.

Is there an easier way?

• Like 1

The phone thing is a PITA but it's  better than downloading cracks and dodgy serial number lists.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

The phone thing is a PITA but it's  better than downloading cracks and dodgy serial number lists.

Yeah, hate cracks, plumbers especially!

Haven't done those things in many years.

Just did the phone thing, but he says shit so quick and then expects you to write down the confirmation code in 3 seconds, stupid bot 😆

Anyway, is done 🙂

Now I can install 10 on the old one and try and sell an old computer with one case side missing and a new copy of win 10 for a couple of hundred!

Tell him he's dreaming!

• Like 1

If it's OEM (PC licence) then the Bios will contain the licencing table which allows activation of the relevant version/editions.

If it's retail then you enter your code during or after install and it should verify once online.

I not long ago bought a Win 10 Pro licence for under 10 bucks, I imagine the Win 7 ones are almost giveaway prices by now.

Though the Win 7 licence on this machine stopped working after a year, dodgy seller no doubt flogged the same one off multiple times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

If it's OEM (PC licence) then the Bios will contain the licencing table which allows activation of the relevant version/editions.

If it's retail then you enter your code during or after install and it should verify once online.

I not long ago bought a Win 10 Pro licence for under 10 bucks, I imagine the Win 7 ones are almost giveaway prices by now.

Though the Win 7 licence on this machine stopped working after a year, dodgy seller no doubt flogged the same one off multiple times.

Used one of those serial lists I was talking about!

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

OEM copy purchased with hardware, not with a full PC.

Have transferred this win 7 to a couple of computers over time, always only used on a single one at any time though, win 10 installed and activated once on the just retired PC, again an OEM version purchased with hardware only.

Yeah, that's OEM (System Builder) - small time operators like shops as opposed to brand names like Dell.

Those ones are supposed to be tied to the motherboard and not transferrable.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-microsoft-wont-tell-you-about-windows-7-licensing/

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/44179f86-f8a6-4dc2-8692-b1637e72280b/windows-license-types-explained?forum=genuinewindows7

(second link might expect you to logon with your MS credentials)

6 hours ago, Rybags said:

Yeah, that's OEM (System Builder) - small time operators like shops as opposed to brand names like Dell.

Those ones are supposed to be tied to the motherboard and not transferrable.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-microsoft-wont-tell-you-about-windows-7-licensing/

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/44179f86-f8a6-4dc2-8692-b1637e72280b/windows-license-types-explained?forum=genuinewindows7

(second link might expect you to logon with your MS credentials)

Yeah, but you just tell them the motherboard failed and you have to replace it.

• Like 3

Un-linked 10 from store and removed PC from account.

Now to maybe sell it with the old mobo, E-3110 and ram, actually have 2x Xeon E-3110's.

Need a socket 1150 quad core and some more DDR3 for the new (old) PC 🤔