Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kothos

Need some advice re: life direction / job choice

Recommended Posts

 

So I'm stuck and looking for advice and am checking everywhere I can...

 

For ages I've wanted to get out of the corporate world and do something more variably challenging, and 5 years ago when I left my job at the time, I started a high school teaching degree.  Well, I just finished and have done my penultimate prac, and been offered a job already in a small high school (175 students).

 

OTOH, I really enjoyed my last contract (which I ended to do my prac) and have just been offered a role by an ex-senior VP for a pretty decent job with lots of fun travel, good money, a growing company, and it's overall pretty easy.

 

So I'm freakin' torn - do I want to take the next step in a career I've progressed pretty far, or take a lot less pay to do something that's more immediately fulfilling?  Anyone have any insights into that sort of thing?

 

Pros and Cons list:  https://ibb.co/RyMc9Np

 

Pros and Cons List

 

 

Teaching-vs-IT.png

 

 

Edited by Kothos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were me, I'd stick to being a corp. Teens are evil cunts at times, and vindictive in ways even board sociopaths would shy from. And just to sweeten the pot, if a girl decides to ruin your life and accuse you of something sexual, the burden of proof is on you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is that... I mean I had one class during prac where my supervisor said, "You can't let students sit on desks, even during times when there's nothing for them to do, ESPECIALLY GIRLS."

 

I'm like huh??

 

And he's like, "that girl you were asking to stop disengaging from the class, she shouldn't've been sitting on a desk, she was wearing a dress."

Me:  "Er... "

Him:  "Boys wear pants so it's not as much of an issue but they shouldn't sit on the desks either."
Me:  "Er... "
Him:  "You didn't notice?"
Me:  "I haven't looked at a student below the neck at all, I mean it hasn't seemed relevant."

---

 

So yeah there is that which I won't enjoy.  Apart from having to notice if students shirts aren't tucked in, I have to notice if their underwear is showing and figure out a delicate way of telling them to close their legs  😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My highschool, occasionaly it was "if they had underwear". A couple of the girls liked to mess with male teachers' heads. Well, and male students.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cybes said:

My highschool, occasionaly it was "if they had underwear". A couple of the girls liked to mess with male teachers' heads. Well, and male students.

 

Fuck me that's insane.  I don't think of myself as sheltered (in my adult life, I suppose) but I've never even thought of that, let alone experienced it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Kothos said:

 

Fuck me that's insane.  I don't think of myself as sheltered (in my adult life, I suppose) but I've never even thought of that, let alone experienced it.

 

Nobody pointed their crotch at me, but I was within a few metres of one of the girls doing that. Behind her - all I saw was the legs parting and his rreaction.Very Sharon Stone of her - both in ececution and motive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't you ask your family for some input ? I think your kids are at talking age by now yes ? IIRC money is not something you're lacking in and as such I assume your budget is already looking after your kids, so ask them. See whether they want you around more often than not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what I'd do.  Good and bad for both. 

BUT teenagers are really arseholes of things and getting worse  😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kothos said:

There is that... I mean I had one class during prac where my supervisor said, "You can't let students sit on desks, even during times when there's nothing for them to do, ESPECIALLY GIRLS."

 

I'm like huh??

 

And he's like, "that girl you were asking to stop disengaging from the class, she shouldn't've been sitting on a desk, she was wearing a dress."

Me:  "Er... "

Him:  "Boys wear pants so it's not as much of an issue but they shouldn't sit on the desks either."
Me:  "Er... "
Him:  "You didn't notice?"
Me:  "I haven't looked at a student below the neck at all, I mean it hasn't seemed relevant."

---

 

So yeah there is that which I won't enjoy.  Apart from having to notice if students shirts aren't tucked in, I have to notice if their underwear is showing and figure out a delicate way of telling them to close their legs  😕

This is why the numbers of male teachers are in decline.

 

1 hour ago, eveln said:

Why don't you ask your family for some input ? I think your kids are at talking age by now yes ?

 

Always a good idea to ask a 4 year old for career advice 🤣

Having spent 25 years in IT it has been a good ride.

 

Until I started to travel...that shit will destroy you mentally and can really fuck up your family.

Money is great...but think about the consequences of not being home.

 

I worked on a 3 year project with a bloke from Brisbane, in Melbourne.

When the project was over he had to get to know his daughter all over again. She was quite young and the hard part was her having to get to know HIM all over again.

To her he was like a stranger that only visited on weekends.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, twinair said:

I worked on a 3 year project with a bloke from Brisbane, in Melbourne.

When the project was over he had to get to know his daughter all over again. She was quite young and the hard part was her having to get to know HIM all over again.

To her he was like a stranger that only visited on weekends.

 

/nod

Sad to say, that story is far from unique to IT.  My dad went to Tamworth to teacher a flying school when I was a teen - got to come back to Adelaide about once a month for a couple of days.  That's just not enough to maintain the feeling of being a family.  (In our case, we got to realise that we were tonnes better off without his tornado of dramas, emotional crap, and financial idiocy.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cybes said:

 

/nod

Sad to say, that story is far from unique to IT.  My dad went to Tamworth to teacher a flying school when I was a teen - got to come back to Adelaide about once a month for a couple of days.  That's just not enough to maintain the feeling of being a family.  (In our case, we got to realise that we were tonnes better off without his tornado of dramas, emotional crap, and financial idiocy.)

Yep. I spent 7 years working for SAP as a senior consultant. I not once had a client in Sydney. A few interstate clients but also too many international clients.
It would have been the perfect job for a young, single person. Once a month there'd be a project request spreadsheet that would come out seeking consultants with certain skills...they'd list the customer, skills required, project duration and global location.

So you could literally say "Oh, wouldn't mind spending the next 2 years in Paris. Or Rio." Or anywhere.

But as a married man with a couple of kids it was just fucked.

There was no ifs or buts.

 

Once I took 10 days off as annual leave to renovate my bathroom. I get a call from my manager on a Saturday telling me I would need to be in Bangalore on Monday morning, so book a flight for Sunday.

The bathroom wasn't even finished. So while I was over in India working, having a nice shower in a nice hotel, the missus was showering at the gym each day.

 

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d never recommend IT work to anyone.

 

But you are torn because the money’s good. You’ve got multiple degrees. 
 

If you take the corporate job you can come back to teaching you know?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twinair said:

 

 

 

1 hour ago, twinair said:

 

Always a good idea to ask a 4 year old for career advice 🤣

Having spent 25 years in IT it has been a good ride.

 

Until I started to travel...that shit will destroy you mentally and can really fuck up your family.

Money is great...but think about the consequences of not being home.

 

I worked on a 3 year project with a bloke from Brisbane, in Melbourne.

When the project was over he had to get to know his daughter all over again. She was quite young and the hard part was her having to get to know HIM all over again.

To her he was like a stranger that only visited on weekends.

 

Yep. If you're going to pro-create, and you're lucky enough to choose how you grow them up, then be there and be on site responsible.

 

Not everyone has that choice .

 

Also, kids will tell you if you're not needed 😛

Also male teachers must continue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it would come down to how much away time there will be. It sounds like a lot and I know with my family that would be a drain on me, my kids would hate it and I'd be leaving my wife to do everything and she already has a lot on her plate as it is. The kids are young once. If there is lots of time at home though and the occasional trip away it would be different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...didn't you decide to do teaching and quit the last big job because it was too easy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the end it is only a decision that you can make.

 

J does touch on a point though, fair or not there is an imbalance of males in the education system that can facilitate their moving up the ladder rather well.

 

As a pair of examples there are two male teachers in my immediate family, a BinL and his son.

 

The former is now about 60 and is very senior in early childhood education and his son at not quite 40 is principal of an International school. They are both very, very good at their jobs but they also admit that in their chosen professions their gender does make them somewhat stand out.

 

The also both have rather unique personalities, in different ways and the latter being a very accomplished guitarist does not hurt in the school he is running.

 

I'd admit that if I had the choice I would take the IT job at the drop of a hat but I love travel and I don't have young kids to worry about.

 

There is another factor that somewhat depends upon your age. In my experience older people can tend to make better teachers. Obviously I have two people in my family who challenge that generalisation but I would suggest it is all things being equal a good idea for teachers to have a deal of life experience before they attempt to pass it on. If I recall you are not exactly lacking in that regard but if you can retain your educational qualifications and the IT is likely to be of finite duration I'd again lean that way.

 

In the end though you will I think make the right decision whatever that may be, the fact you have laid out the pros and cons shows due consideration and not knee-jerk.

 

Best of luck with it 🙂

 

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chrisg said:

a BinL and his son

 

Oh dear, I must need more sleep - or less politics.  I read that as "Bin L(aden)", and was busily thinking how one could have 'a' Bin Laden.  Generic tall thin swarthy dude with a long salt&pepper beard, maybe..?  And then it snapped into place.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

 

He's been much more in my life of late since I moved back to SA and it is tedious typing out the relationship in full 🙂

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you get to stay with young family and live frugally versus being an absent parent and sender of wealth, at the end of their childhood your children won't remember the money, or if they do, they won't associate you with the provision thereof

 

as someone who worked 3 part time jobs of crazy hours when my team were young, i got to either take them to kindy or school, or retrieve them, and be home thereafter on most weekdays, although i was often away one day of each weekend (and overnight every other sunday)

 

 

end result ?  i could have been way richer if i could stand full time work, and they would be strangers

 

as it is, they are now like adult (or almost adult) friends, and we have a lot of fun mostly, even if sometimes we give each other the shits

 

 

if you really want to be a corporate thing, get 'em at least to senior school years for their sake before you become a ghost parent; if work is the most important thing, why are you a parent ?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you a big fit guy?

 

Street smart?

 

 

Get a job as a minder...

 

 

 

Oh, and buy a good vest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

if work is the most important thing, why are you a parent ?

ummm ... maybe happy parent /s makes the odds of happier kids more likely  ;)

 

... but yeah I agree with the comment you made there scruffy1. 

Unless Kothos has hit hard times, he has options, until a certain age his kids don't have too many options so I hope both parents think about that together

5 hours ago, Cybes said:

 

Oh dear, I must need more sleep - or less politics.  I read that as "Bin L(aden)",

nooo, your lack of sleep is not the issue, unless I'm lacking too ; I guess that's an option. I just thought perhaps BinLaden might be another of chrisg's many acquaintances ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

time with kids is the most important thing

it took me a few dances with the reaper to realize that the people in your life should get your highest priority 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nich... said:

...didn't you decide to do teaching and quit the last big job because it was too easy?

 

If you're not cut out for it teaching will do your head in.

Especially since they are forced to go until year 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×