Sign in to follow this  
gamble

New Gaming Build

Ordered a bunch of stuff, look forward to putting it all together once it all arrives.

• CPU Ryzen 5 3600x (Should be all I need for gaming mostly)
  • MB ASUS TUF x570 Wifi (Looks to have good vrm)
  • RAM 4x8 G.Skills Ripjaws V 3600 c16 -19-19-39 (Hope that I can tighten the timings, was on sale and thought I read of advantages of running quad)
  • GPU RTX 2070 Super (Blower style, HP Omen series I believe. Got it off ebay for around 5700XT prices so thought I'd go with it.  Plus was having crashes with 5700XT when playing World of Warships and it was pissing me off a bit.  Other games worked fine though.)
  • SSD 1x NVMe SX8200 Pro 512gb, 2x SSD Mushkin 1tb  (Wanted to get different sizes/qty but did it this way to get more paid back)
  • PSU EVGA SuperNova 1000 PQ (Overkill but was on sale)
  • CASE Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass  (Went full size to make it easier to work inside)
  • LOOP EK Classic RGB P360 Kit (Pump looks to be only ok but not a d5. Might look to add a gpu block later.  Ordered some extra fitting and a drain valve)
  • MONITOR LG 32GK650G-B G-Sync 31.5" 2560x1440p 144hz (Was 50% off and wanted to try g-sync monitor, its also flat which I wanted to go back to.)

Some things I had to order a certain way to get depreciation value back from insurance, like the water kit... I couldn't piece it together and needed to be a single item purchase.  Basically, they say it's worth for example ~350 but its 5 years old so we will give you ~125, but if you buy it again and turn in receipt, we will give you up to $350-125(that was already paid).   But my old 3700x cpu, they didn't depreciate it much and gave me nearly the current price it is going for, so I just got a lesser priced 3600x that was on sale this last week and used that money on other parts of the build.  Tried to get everything on sale for this build and play the numbers game. 

I did order a cheap gpu AIO water block but not sure if it will fit what I have or if it will do good.  Im going to test with the blower first then try it out later.  It has aluminum and copper mixed so it wont last all that long but it was cheap to play with and might be able to use parts of it later or just connect the block part to EK kit but yea need to check on that.  http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/134/name/FROSTFLOW 120VGA

Should be a fun build, can't wait to run it thru the benchmarks 🙂

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

What you doing withe 5700XT? I'm sure someone would buy it given AMD is on the winning streak.

2 hours ago, gamble said:

(Hope that I can tighten the timings, was on sale and thought I read of advantages of running quad)

It will be using the new Micron chips so you should be able to hit 3800 and get a nice boost from tweaking subs but you may not be able to work wonders with the primary's as you could with b die.

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

What you doing withe 5700XT? I'm sure someone would buy it given AMD is on the winning streak.

My house was robbed and my pc's and many other thing were taken 😞

45 minutes ago, Dasa said:

It will be using the new Micron chips so you should be able to hit 3800 and get a nice boost from tweaking subs but you may not be able to work wonders with the primary's as you could with b die.

Yea it was a quick buy and didn't do any research on them. But was only slight higher than 2x8gb kit with better timings. I've seen how quad channel can sometimes give a boost in games depending on if ttop or daisy which I'm trying to figure out which this mb has.  I thought Gamers Nexus had a dual vs quad on both types but can seem to find it.  Wanted to play with quad channel some too as all my gaming rig have always been 2x8gb lately. 

I think all X570 are daisychain although some of the pre release boards were t top.

The only difference t top makes is a little higher stability with 4 sticks which doesn't seem to be needed with the new Ryzen memory controller since they do 3800 fairly easy.

4 sticks or 2x16 for dual rank can give a little more bandwidth but I don't think there is much in it at least not on my quad core.

Finally have build this new rig, quite happy with the case and everything is blacked out...  RGB from the EK kit is nice with the tempered glass on this case... Have to say this has been a great case to work with, all the cable mgmt and being able to remove all the cages.  had to move the rad close to the front for cpu pwr connections and there is only a few millimeters from the vrm on the mb area clearance.  The monitor is so much better than my viotek was.  Gsync works great too, really like having flat screen much better.   Pics do not do it justice for how it looks thru the glass.   

20191226-224207.jpg

20191226-223309.jpg

20191227-035050.jpg

20191227-115326.jpg

Below is with core @ 2040 ~ 2055mhz / ram +1250mhz:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/8030996/spy/9017762/spy/9895785

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/21358942/fs/20068095/fs/20784772

Edited by gamble
  • Like 2

Playing around with ram/infinity... Cannot go above 1866 on the infinity and ram I cannot touch timings or it will not boot or if it does there is tons of error right away.  I need to flash to the latest bios but  was able to move the bandwidth still some.  Used my old pc ram to compare against from a screenshot I had previously.  Old pc had 2x dimms vs 4x dimms in the current.

Old Left:  2x 8gb 3733mhz 14-14-14-34 1T 

New Right:  4x 8gb 3733mhz 16-19-19-39 1T 

Aida-1866-3733-16-19-19-39-T1.png

3667:

Aida-1833-3667-16-19-19-39-T1.png

Running at 3733mhz did throw some errors too as it probably needed more voltage when running memtestpro, 3667mhz was good to just over 100% test then I stopped it to try other timings/bandwidth.  

--

I did get that cheap AIO kit for the gpu that I want to throw on 2070 but also ordered some extra heatsinks and need some double sided thermal tape still.  The kit actually looks better than what I was expecting.  Currently the core only gets up to 71c with fan curve up to 65%, after that it gets quite loud 🙂  .  I have another fan Ill be replacing on the AIO too. 

Edited by gamble

Replaced the stock cooler on the 2070 super today.  Did some runs before to get a baseline of possible improvements.  Below is the tear down and assembly:

ID-Cooling 120VGA AIO:

Replaced the fan with a Hyperborea:

20191231-091416.jpg

Fin Density:

20191231-091450.jpg

Block/Pump with Fan:

20191231-091516.jpg

Tear Down:

20191231-101417.jpg

Heatsinks for Ram and VRMs, memory VRM has a heatsink there but forgot to take a pic with it on.  I had an old m.2 heatsink from my old build.  I used this and then add a bit more thermal pad to make up the gap to cover vrm area better:

highlights.png

20191231-111542.jpg

View:

20191231-121413.jpg

Backplate:

20191231-121337.jpg

Build:

20191231-131120.jpg

=====

Test:  TimeSpy Extreme Stress

Settings:  Core +125mhz / Memory +1000mhz

Stock Air Fan:  65% (after 65%, it is really loud with the stock blower)

AIO:  Set to the highest fan/pump currently but is really quiet.

(Note, I only ran the stress test on air for around half the bench and possibly could have gone a bit higher on the core temp.  For reference, when gaming I usually only see 71c but when stressing it would get much higher.)

airvsaio.png

Results:

Air:  Would give 80c on the core and possibly another degree or two higher at 65% fan curve.  It would then drop clocks to 1980 to 1995mhz on the core, after starting out at 2070mhz.

Water:  Would hit 56c but would mostly be in the 54-55c range.  This temp was even at the end as I ran it all the way thru.  Clocks would start out at 2100mhz, then would nearly run flat 2055mhz with tiny spikes/dips.  

Gains: 

-25c Temps!

+60-75mhz!  

So, for benchmarking, those are usually short runs and the temp does not get that high compared to stress testing.  Basically, my benchmark score are the same as before but I get more performance from the same setting in real life after things heat up and noise levels are much better.  Actually surprised this AIO does such a good job. 

Edit: 

F.S. Extreme Stress Test.  It is 2070mhz on the core up to 53c then drops to 2055mhz and stays there.  Shows that it hit 58c but I couldn't find it, still was at 55-56c at the end of the test but somewhere it hit 58c. 

FS-end.png

Edited by gamble

The RAM is probably Hynix DJR which has the up side of being very easy on the memory controller with some able to run 4x16GB ok at 3733.

Yea looks like Hynix... Not too familiar with DJR version...  Thaiphoon shows as M-Die, is that DJR?  Is the same rule for volts on Hynix, usually good up to 1.45v with 1.5v if good cooling or is that only for B-die? @Dasa

merm.png

3733.png

On the previous bios when I enabled PBO, I would see 2x cores hit 4450mhz, 2x 4425mhz and 2x 4400mhz.  With the latest bios, 2x 4425mhz, 2x 4400mhz and 2x 4375mhz with PBO enabled.  Both gave the same bench results.

Timespy was able to break into the top 20 for 3600x/2070 super combo.  Only need like 75 more total points for top spot but I can't seem to get much more out of it... Timings just lock the system up even on new bios, can move bandwidth still and 3733mhz seems much more stable.  

I have 2x Noctua NF-P12 redux fans coming in.  Going to replace the one on the gpu aio rad and place the other under the bracket for the pump/res combo.  These are the black/grey version not the ugly Noctua normal 🙂

25nm M die I didn't expect that... it would be about the first DDR4 chip ever released and usually tops out around 3200-3400 so you must have a really high bin.

Very interesting, thx for the info.  Currently have them running at 1.43v @ 3733mhz over +500% memtestpro, guess I should count myself lucky 🙂  Latency is 68.1-68.9ns per aida64 depending on the run or what I have open. Can't boot 3800mhz with these timings and still can't touch timings or locks requiring cmos reset.  Thought about getting another one of those Alsyse* Dimm coolers.  It really worked well for the previous kit.  

Turned off PBO as I was getting nearly the same with it off, with heavy load maybe +25~50mhz.  Temps with p95 small FFT (max power) gives 75c after 15mins(spikes to 77c when bench first starts before fans rev up).  Usually in the 60s when gaming..  Used Thermal Grizzly for the CPU. 

Stress testing the gpu usually has spikes up to 57c, a few times Ive seen 58c but mostly for gaming it is 51-53c after hours.  It still kinda is surprising that this 120mm rad/AIO combo actually does an amazing job.  It was really easy to assemble too.  Curious of how it will do with the Noctua... Used Gelid GC Extreme on the core. 

Ive settled on gpu clocks of +115 2055mhz core/+1000mhz vram(16gbs).  My Hyperborea on the gpu rad is acting up, this is the reason I went ahead and ordered a 2x more Noctua fans.   RPMs will rev up and down at times.... I wanted another intake fan too so should work out with one bottom mounted under the cpu pump/res.  It should help balance since currently there is 4x 120mm fans pushing out over rads but only 2x 140mm front intakes.  

Side note on TIMs... First time using Grizzly Kryonaut.  I really liked how easy it was to apply, seems about the same consistency of Gelid GC.  I used Gelid on the gpu since I had a bit left and it kinda thick so I can put exactly where I want it and didnt want to chip the core.  Kryonaut would have worked out fine too, but wanted to go with something I am use to.  Really both are great products but wanted to support Der8auer as I subscribe to him. 

Final pics with Noctua fans in.  Used a Y splitter, 1x on the gpu rad and 1x on the bottom of chassis under the cpu pump/res.  I have them set at 1300rpm (1700rpm is the max) running all the time.  This speed is really quiet and still gives top temps or 57c when stress testing.  The bottom fan should help feed in some air for the gpu when the cpu has low load/temps.   Few final pics... Really wish I had some different fittings a few 90 and 45 degree.  Ill probably do that when I drain it next time.  

Glass open, lights off:

20200103-172532.jpg

20200103-172421.jpg

Glass open, lights on, room lights on:  (pics can only do so much.. in person much better)

20200103-172229.jpg

20200103-172153.jpg

Glass closed:  (yea it just looks much better than this shows)

20200103-171728.jpg

This one was just fun, feel like I had plenty of room to do what I wanted with room to change things up in the future. This might have been my favor build as most of the time I would reuse as much as I could so haven't done a complete rebuild in quite some time. 

• Like 1

20200112-020750.jpg

Added Alseye PWM Dimm cooler.  My sticks don't report temps but when running p95, cpu is almost 4c cooler while running the cooler at 50%.  A bit surprised since I have good air flow. Still messing around to see if it helps with OC on Dimms. 

• Like 1