Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Mindless ramblings

Yes it's hot. Summer has arrived up here in the Far North.

Maybe it's that I'm a bit older. Maybe it's that the cool nights changed with the click of a finger to nights barely survived with the fan on the number two setting

Right now, the night has passed with three incidents of water type stuff leaking from the sky. It will be worse come February.

Today this couple from Darwin told me how this heat meant nothing to them here - sitting in the air-conditioned lobby as they were, having come from their air-conditioned room.

Waiting on the air-conditioned bus that would take them to town, this summer in Port was less than a breeze for them, after all, they were NT people used to the heat in their air-conditioned life.

What a fucking wank ! Truly.

• Like 2

That's why I'm still up, bloody hot an humid, my room is on the wrong side and holds the heat from the afternoon through to around 3.30am.

Heh,

They must be getting soft in Darwin, although to be honest after two years living up there then coming back to Adelaide I bloody froze for a winter until I readjusted.

Cheers

It's an official heatwave here in Darwin, some places over 40C. So when it's 33C it's not hot (it's actually 33C in my room now). My aircon is pretty crap and drops the temp to 30C

People from southern states melt here ... not literally but

Some parts of the NT, near 44C!

Edited by Jeruselem

10 hours ago, eveln said:

Yes it's hot. Summer has arrived up here in the Far North.

Maybe it's that I'm a bit older. Maybe it's that the cool nights changed with the click of a finger to nights barely survived with the fan on the number two setting

Right now, the night has passed with three incidents of water type stuff leaking from the sky. It will be worse come February.

Today this couple from Darwin told me how this heat meant nothing to them here - sitting in the air-conditioned lobby as they were, having come from their air-conditioned room.

Waiting on the air-conditioned bus that would take them to town, this summer in Port was less than a breeze for them, after all, they were NT people used to the heat in their air-conditioned life.

What a fucking wank ! Truly.

I'm guessing you were at work and couldn't tell them the truth!?

29 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I'm guessing you were at work and couldn't tell them the truth!?

And you'd be right about that

with low humidity, even 44°C is bearable. almost nice if you have access to shade and a place to swim.  but ive done hard physical work in that.  sure, you seem to lose your body weight in water every minute, but you keep your sanity.

but anything above 28°C with really high humidity — fuck all that.  brain fog.  humidity makes me retarded.  the only thing thats good for is drinking frozen margaritas on balconies into the late evening.  theres a whole different night atmosphere in places that skew tropical.

having said that, ive never been much further north than Brisbane, a.k.a the last outpost of the habitable zone.

• Like 1

yeah, darwin heat is just nasty without refrigerative aircon

adelaide in summer is brutal, but evaporative cooling is very effective (pity about having water i guess)

sydney is great (presently shitty air aside); our house is well placed on a hill with passive airflow, but when it's shut up, the downstairs stays cool even on fiercely hot days, and the westerly neighbours throw shadow on us beautifully from late afternoon all summer (though hardly at all in winter)

melbourne is.... melbourne

The problem with real low humidity, and we get it here often in the heat, and it's worse by 2x if it's windy too is it dries out your lungs which is a multiplier for dehydration.

• Like 3

you know today there is snow at Thredbo, or so my news feed told me this morning

I don't do margaritas but am really thinking about heading to the club earlier for some air-con and a schooner of carlton black x3.

I'd rather the humidity strange as that sounds. Spent some time in the pool this morning, now the sun is just toooo intense

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

It's now 35C in my room! Yes that would kill  lot of people from here LOL

30.4c in here ... all vents open and a shade cloth hanging from the roof over the back entrance which actually helps a lot, as the afternoon sun is full force there.

Adelaide is just not trying yet this year - 23 degrees C at 5.15pm is not December Adelaide.

Perth was apparently expecting close to 40 today, that's more like it 🙂

Still, it's Australia we always seem to be heating or cooling our homes or moaning abut it....

Cheers

1 hour ago, eveln said:

you know today there is snow at Thredbo, or so my news feed told me this morning

I don't do margaritas but am really thinking about heading to the club earlier for some air-con and a schooner of carlton black x3.

I'd rather the humidity strange as that sounds. Spent some time in the pool this morning, now the sun is just toooo intense

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/blogs/tim-blair/settled-science-stops-snow-subsequently-starts-snow/news-story/5439be94d2575ce3a71c3736a679cb7b

4 hours ago, @~thehung said:

with low humidity, even 44°C is bearable. almost nice if you have access to shade and a place to swim.  but ive done hard physical work in that.  sure, you seem to lose your body weight in water every minute, but you keep your sanity.

but anything above 28°C with really high humidity — fuck all that.  brain fog.  humidity makes me retarded.  the only thing thats good for is drinking frozen margaritas on balconies into the late evening.  theres a whole different night atmosphere in places that skew tropical.

having said that, ive never been much further north than Brisbane, a.k.a the last outpost of the habitable zone.

I can barley handle it here in Bris', couldn't venture further north, and would take my hat off to people like Evelyn (if I had one) tolerating the temp up further.

I find it a double edged sword regarding humidity levels, high and it zaps my energy and is so yucky, but when a dry heat that sun when outside bakes me in seconds 😞

2 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

I can barley handle it here in Bris', couldn't venture further north, and would take my hat off to people like Evelyn (if I had one) tolerating the temp up further.

I find it a double edged sword regarding humidity levels, high and it zaps my energy and is so yucky, but when a dry heat that sun when outside bakes me in seconds 😞

So it's an outdoor sauna or an oven ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LogicprObe said:

I was just thinking when i saw the news of snow at Thredbo that I could just about handle five minutes of that temp and snow just now ... would like to just zap in then zap out