Sign in to follow this  
ROUBOS

Looking for a budget PSU for my old build. Please help

Hi all, 😞

So I took apart the heat sink, and the cpu, cleaned them, added thermal paste, put it back together and no luck. 

So I guess I should get a new mobo. 

Just hope that fixes it, cause if the CPU is also cooked I will be wasting money. 

Should I go for a budget mobo cpu combo that fits my other specs and has better performance than my current build? 

Sell one of your cards and psu to help pay for replacement parts?   

Maybe try your cpu in your bros pc before buying more parts?  Try booting with 1 stick of ram in, in different spots.  Try to clear bios cmos again by removing the power cord and cmos battery, usually there is a jumper but some have a button you can click.  

Posted (edited)

Too much hassle to take my cpu to my brothers PC...

Tried 1 ram stick, tried no ram (no beep codes)

Cleared CMOS with the jumper and by removing battery and all.

Found the Asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0 mobo for 70euro. If the CPU is not cooked, then I could use my RAM and CPU.... Could not find my CPU  for purchase locally, so I hope it is the mobo.

If I go for a new CPU and Mobo, then I will need new RAM and maybe GPU in the near future. Hard to find better than the Fx8350 on a budget

EDIT: Any suggestions on a CPU and Mobo combo on a budget?

Edited by ROUBOS

Thinking of getting a AMD Ryzen 5 2600X or AMD Ryzen 5 2600, and a B450M mobo.

Now is this upgrade worth it? Using my current RAM and GPU? At least for a while? Might also get some RAM for a total of 250euro investment.

I know my Noctua push pull heat sink is going to be wasted unless I try to sell it.

Will need to get ddr4, ddr3 is not supported on ryzen.   You might be able to get a bracket for the Noctua for am4 socket?  

47 minutes ago, ROUBOS said:

I know my Noctua push pull heat sink is going to be wasted unless I try to sell it.

Why? what heatsink do you have as Noctua provides updated mounts sometimes for free.

The heatsink is the NH-U12S, with an extra fan for push pull. 

I read that the Ryzen stock heatsinks are good enough and there is no much need for an extra heatsink. 

They are ok but your Noctua would be much quieter and also allow for a few MHz higher boost clock even if it is not enough to make a noticeable performance difference on it's own it adds up with tweaks made to RAM.

• Like 1

Hi all... sorry for the long time to respond. Decided to wait and save money in order to get an upgrade instead of risking the purchase of a mobo and also having a bad cpu.

So now I have some money to spend. Thinking of getting the Ryzen 7 2700x over the Ryzen 5 200x. (Is it worth the extra money?)

Now I know that for a mobo I would need a B450 chipset, but which mobo? I mean all mobos I've seen have a video out ports. I'm not getting an APU so why do all mobos have video out ports? (Does not really matter really, unless I go for an APU)

For video rendering 2700X if found at a good price is a decent value option being ~20% faster than the 3600 for fully multithreaded workload that doesn't care as much about latency but for gaming the 3600 $275 is ~10% faster than the 2700X and the 2600 $199 is ~15% slower than the 3600 for everything.

Ryzen 3000 can also handle higher RAM speeds than Ryzen 2000  which helps game performance even more than the base line performance I mention above when tweaked.

6 minutes ago, Dasa said:

For video rendering 2700X if found at a good price is a decent value option being ~20% faster than the 3600 for fully multithreaded workload that doesn't care as much about latency but for gaming the 3600 $275 is ~10% faster than the 2700X and the 2600 $199 is ~15% slower than the 3600 for everything.

Ryzen 3000 can also handle higher RAM speeds than Ryzen 2000  which helps game performance even more than the base line performance I mention above when tweaked.

Here are my options and prices in euro dollars:

Ryzen 5 2600x at 145 euro

Ryzen 7 2700  at 166 euro

Ryzen 7 2700x at 184 euro

the Ryzen 5 3600 is ta 215 euro which is a lot more expensive.

Now the thing is that I have about 300 euro to spend on CPU, Mobo and RAM

Interesting the difference in prices

Ryzen 5 2600x at 145 euro =$235.98au not available only the 2600 for $199

Ryzen 7 2700  at 166 euro = $270.15au actual $319

Ryzen 7 2700x at 184 euro = $299.44au actual $415

Ryzen 5 3600 is ta 215 euro =$349.89au actual $275

What MB\RAM prices are you looking at? or what store might be helpfull.

Edited by Dasa

CPU - CPU

Mobo - Mobo

RAM - RAM

Sorry the site is in Greek

Edit: I can look at more stores, but this has close to the best prices I can get. As long as I find the correct combo. 

I generally think that a mobo at about 100 euro will be good value. 

Not sure if I should go cheaper for such CPUs

Edited by ROUBOS

ASROCK B450M PRO4  76.90 €

RAM PATRIOT PV416G320C6K VIPER 4 SERIES 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 3200MHZ BLACK/RED DUAL KIT  79.90 €

That makes anything over the 2600X a stretch for the budget.

Looks like Newegg and amazon.de are a little cheaper for you but maybe not with post and probably not worth the risk of possible return prices if you need to RMA

2600X is a massive improvement over your current CPU, up to twice as fast and you have a upgrade path to Ryzen 4000 if you want a faster CPU in the future.

2700X just adds two more cores.

Edit: You can get your free AM4 mount from Noctua here

https://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-uxs-mounting-kit-order-form

Edited by Dasa

Thank you so much. 

I appreciate the help. 

EDIT:

The extra two cores on the 2700X wouldn't make much difference at the moment right?

I do tend to think that more expensive Mobos and RAM add quality, but I've seen them fail as well. I mean does the extra money on a more expensive Mobo with the same chipset make that much of a difference to make it worth while?

But then again... at the end of the day it's all about budget right?

EDIT 2:

Should I go for this instead? ASROCK FATAL1TY B450 GAMING K4 RETAIL

Edited by ROUBOS

Correct the 2700 runs a lower clock speed so it would need to be overclocked to perform similar to the 2600X in most games which typically don't benefit from the extra cores at this point in time.

As for the MB about the only difference I can see is that it is a bit bigger allowing for extra PCI-E slots you will never use.

You're right. And overclocking is something I've never done, and never will. I remember the old days when overclocking could damage the hardware. 

Regarding the Mobo, I think the "gaming" on the title is what made me think about it. Might be more a marketing thing than actual performance. Might have better heatsinks etc. 

You think that the thermal paste which is pre-applied fixed on the stock heat sinks of the cpu is better than applying it yourself? Certainly easier. 

Same VRM and much the same HS which are sufficient for a 6-8 core CPU without overclocking but would struggle with 12-16 core.

One MB that is a fair bit better

mitriki msi b450 tomahawk max retail photo ΜΗΤΡΙΚΗ MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RETAIL  119.90 €  

No stock TIM is not as good but good enough.

One down side is it can set hard when cold and I have seen people have bent pins as the CPU ripped out of the socket when they went to remove the stock HSF.

Overclocking has never really been a big risk to hardware unless you push way to hard with high v and temps.

Ryzen 3000 does a good job of overclocking itself so with it people mostly just OC the RAM.

Edited by Dasa

The good thing is that it is spread evenly on the cpu. 

I had to remove a cpu, and reapply paste as the Temps were not good when I first applied them. Noctua recommends one drop the size of a pea in the center, and that's what I do. Seen others placing 5 drops in formation like the 5 on dice. 

Regarding MSI what's your opinion? 

I always went for Asus Mobos, and for some reason never liked Gygabyte. Asrock was part of Asus I think. 

But times have changed. 

I remember all would go for Japanese caps on Mobos. 

I tried to OC a friends Intel MSI MB and it's BIOS was a mess and often didn't do what it should have so my personal experience is not good and like you I have been very happy with my Asus MB although I only buy fairly high end models.

I have had a few GB MB and while solid and reliable there BIOS were a little hit and miss.

The MSI Tomahawk has perhaps the best B450 VRM in reviews and great heatsinks.

A lot of people have them and are very happy with them being one of the most popular MB for AMD Ryzen.

Although it still uses a cheaper Audio chip than the Asus Strix ALC1200

These days all MB seem to use solid caps which are much more reliable than the older ones except for Audio where they use caps better suited to that.

I believe Asrock is now separated from Asus.

Edited by Dasa
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Be on the lookout for AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF, which is a downclocked Ryzen 5 2600 sold for much cheaper.

That's AF, not AE.

Edited by Jeruselem