Sign in to follow this  
SquallStrife

Trump: The third POTUS ever to be Impeached

39 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Obama: "On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it's important for him to give me space."

Medvedev: "Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you…"

Obama: "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."

Medvedev: "I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir."

translation:

I am certain we can resolve this in a way that will be satisfactory to both of our nations, and I know how to go about it better than anybody else.  But it will take some time, and I will be far less constrained after I am re-elected (which we both know is likely), so just be mindful that any agitation of this sensitive situation in the short term on your end will likely jeopardise our chances of arriving at the best possible solution in due course.

its quite innocent, really :)

6 hours ago, @~thehung said:

I am certain we can resolve this in a way that will be satisfactory to both of our nations, and I know how to go about it better than anybody else.  But it will take some time, and I will be far less constrained after I am re-elected (which we both know is likely), so just be mindful that any agitation of this sensitive situation in the short term on your end will likely jeopardise our chances of arriving at the best possible solution in due course.

So the EXACT same thing I said then?

Translation, again: he wanted a foreign leader to do something so that he would have an easier election, so that after the election he could repay said leader with more flexibility.

Edited by Leonid

There’s some unconfirmed rumours that Pelosi may not actually push the impeachment to the Senate to rob Trump of vindication by the Senate.

This explains why she down-played the impeachment at all times and gave Trump wins even as the impeachment rolled on. That’s a smart lady - she knew something the upstart dumbasses in her party still don’t - politics is the art of the possible.

She May just pull this off without damaging their electoral chances...

Do you not think there's at the very least a difference between "Please do this thing that will benefit us both long term" and "Please help me defame and slander my opponent"?

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

There’s some unconfirmed rumours that Pelosi may not actually push the impeachment to the Senate to rob Trump of vindication by the Senate.

This explains why she down-played the impeachment at all times and gave Trump wins even as the impeachment rolled on. That’s a smart lady - she knew something the upstart dumbasses in her party still don’t - politics is the art of the possible.

She May just pull this off without damaging their electoral chances...

Well, as third in line and leader of the Democrats she has that power and it would indeed be a smart move. You can really imagine Trump gnashing his teeth over being deprived of his victory.

The only reason to doubt the rumour would be I don't think the Dems could keep that sort of thing secret - then again perhaps she hasn't told them 🙂

Cheers

30 minutes ago, SquallStrife said:

Do you not think there's at the very least a difference between "Please do this thing that will benefit us both long term" and "Please help me defame and slander my opponent"?

"Please do this thing that will benefit us both long term".

Works in both cases. And in both cases it's quid pro quo for personal reasons.

37 minutes ago, Leonid said:

"Please do this thing that will benefit us both long term".

Works in both cases. And in both cases it's quid pro quo for personal reasons.

That's somewhat dense - one is suggesting putting off a discussion until his re-election is confirmed the other is asking for help to win an election, not the same thing at all.

However it is yet again the Goebbels dictum of blame them for what they are blaming you.

Fine, Obama was impeachable - he's permanently out of power what are you going to do about it ?

Two wrongs never did make a right.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

That's somewhat dense - one is suggesting putting off a discussion until his re-election is confirmed the other is asking for help to win an election, not the same thing at all.

One is asking a foreign leader to stop doing something to make his election easier because his rival (Romney) is pushing the line that Russia is a problem while Obama is laughing at him (who's laughing now?).

And to offset this request, he's saying that he'll be more flexible on things the foreign leader wants, after his election.

That's a personal quid pro quo.

Compare to Trump.

He is asking a foreign leader to do something to make his election easier because his rival (Biden) has a bit of a swampy situation and a Swift Boating would dent his chances.

To offset this request, he's saying that he'll release held up aid which is ostensibly held up due to corruption concerns.

That's a personal quid pro quo.

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Fine, Obama was impeachable - he's permanently out of power what are you going to do about it ?

Nothing, obviously. Also I don't think Obama was impeachable.

Neither is Trump.

There's a misconception that you think I think Obama did something wrong. I don't think he did.

I also don't think Trump did anything particularly wrong. Biden's situation stinks because it's swampy as fuck, even though it may not be illegal and probably isn't.

We all know there are sharper tools in the shed than Trump - he believes that he can get blood out of a stone so he's doing the same thing Obama did, leveraging US capabilities for personal re-election enhancement. Lets face it, if there's something illegal and Trump tried to find it - there are two things against him - no-one would believe Ukraine because it's a corrupt failed state run by a comedian and because Biden has enough history as a relatively honest politician vs Trump for this shit to wash under a bridge.

Trump's dumb, this impeachment is a shitshow and the Democrats are going to cop damage from it unless Pelosi proves you can argue both sides of a Mobius Strip.

if she pulls it off, that woman deserves an honorary chairmanship of a Ukrainian state gas company.

Edited by Leonid
  • Like 1

😉

Actually I just wonder why the Dems went for the relatively minor or deniable articles of impeachment when they could have hit him with numerous other alternatives.

Unless, as you suggest, it is all part of a broader Pelosi plan....

Cheers

4 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Actually I just wonder why the Dems went for the relatively minor or deniable articles of impeachment when they could have hit him with numerous other alternatives.

Because there's not a lot else.

They had one phone call. So they hit him with bribery and obstruction of the congress investigation.

There's never been a lower number of articles for impeachment against a sitting Prez.

You are I hope joking ?

How about the having to refund to charities and his kids having to attend some re-education as a start !?!

The constitution is vague enough that it in general expects more of a President than of the man in the street, those are despicable acts.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisg said:

How about the having to refund to charities and his kids having to attend some re-education as a start !?!

That's not an impeachable thing as far as I know???

Has to be a High Crime or Misdemeanor committed in his capacity as an elected official.

Hmm,

My reading of the constitution is different but ok...

In that case someone should take a closer look at what the SS is paying every time he goes to play golf and his failed attempt to have Doral used for I think it was G7, which he is now, tail between his legs, holding at Camp David.

He skirts the law and the letter of the law so often it is difficult to keep up....

Cheers

10 minutes ago, chrisg said:

US Presidents skirt the law and the letter of the law so often it is difficult to keep up....

Fixed it for ya.

The easiest person to compare Trump to is Obama - simply because the Internet was not really well developed before Obama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATF_gunwalking_scandal

And here's some Bush:

https://publicintegrity.org/2008/01/23/5641/false-pretenses

😉

Taking your point even Bush was more intelligent than Trump and that really is saying something.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, datafast69 said:

Obama was a class act.

Yeah his red line on Syria, promoting the Brotherhood, bombing the crap out of Libya, calling ISIS a Junior Varsity team and laughing off the threat of Russia - class acts.

Edited by Leonid
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SquallStrife said:

i see Leo has already responded.  but i would amend this. 

"Please do this thing that will benefit us both long term" vs "Help me defame and slander my opponent, or else"

a prejudicial reading of Obama's statements would suggest he's making a promise to be acquiescent in later negotiations if they are soft on him now. i.e. bribery, which could be a bluff for the sake of America's interests.

any reading of Trump's statements says he was standing over Ukraine by denying aid in order to demand dirt on his political rival.  ie. extortion, and it cant be anything else!

not all mutually beneficial arrangements are equivalent, as much as Leo would prefer to delude himself otherwise.

a man was mugged once.  he and the mugger came to a "mutual arrangement" that he would hand over his money and the mugger wouldnt stab him.  everyone loves a win/win!

Edited by @~thehung

12 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

Help me defame and slander my opponent, or else"

“Please don’t do anything to prove my opponent was right when he said Russia was a threat and I laughed him off.”

Russia is always worth laughing at - annoys the hell out of the pricks, especially when they know they can't win  🙂

Cheers

I just finished watching the Democratic Debate (latest one).

Everyone but Yang kept whining and whining about Trump and how he should be impeached because he's a corrupt, lying, etc, etc. Boring.

Here's Yang:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/12/19/yang_democrats_are_obsessed_with_impeachment_and_ignoring_the_problems_that_got_trump_elected.html

(Video in link)

2 hours ago, Leonid said:

Yeah his red line on Syria, promoting the Brotherhood, bombing the crap out of Libya, calling ISIS a Junior Varsity team and laughing off the threat of Russia - class acts.

You are a class act, Leo.

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Russia is always worth laughing at - annoys the hell out of the pricks, especially when they know they can't win  🙂

Cheers

The ones who laugh the hardest are ex-Russians. Because you can take Russia out of a Russian.

Just now, datafast69 said:

You are a class act, Leo.

I’m just making Australia Great Again.

Go back to bed, you’ve exerted yourself enough.