Sign in to follow this  
SquallStrife

Trump: The third POTUS ever to be Impeached

😏  I really wish he was but the GOP will stonewall in the Senate - It won't look good but they will.

America is incredibly divided on this, civil insurrection is closer than Washington realises.

Cheers

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SquallStrife said:

That's it bois, he's OUTTA THERE.

Hardly a given. Next comes the 'trial' requiring a 2/3 majority to convict - A trial with 100 jurors that are partisan elected politicians, and 53% are from the same party as Trump.

He isn't going any where in a hurry, and if the biased court acquits him, he'll possibly strengthen his base voters turnout next year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SquallStrife said:

That's it bois, he's OUTTA THERE.

And by that you mean, he's going to take those articles and use them for toilet paper because impeachment is going to fail in the senate?

Hey it's better than being one of four POTUS who were assassinated

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

Unfortunately true - we can hope for miracles Leo and Stadl and SS but just now seem to be all out...

Cheers

18 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Hey it's better than being one of four POTUS who were assassinated

If Obama made it, Trump will.

2 minutes ago, Leonid said:

it was almost 5, Reagan was almost number 5.

3 minutes ago, Leonid said:

never a sure thing though

Got to say I was surprised by the nays count ... did not expect it to be so high at this point. Not high enough obviously, but i was expecting more of a landslide of yays tbh

It means he won't be convicted of the charges laid out, that requires a 2/3rd majority of the upper house vote.

If I understand correctly, the possibility remains that even without the conviction, a simple majority of the senate could prevent him from running for office again.

5 minutes ago, SquallStrife said:

simple majority of the senate

I think that's where the 'kicker ' is .

It's not the pipe dream you might think, many GOP congressmen crossed the floor to indict. Time will tell, I suppose.

• Like 1

I remain hopeful in a shitty situation (senate).

At least It's another stain on a very stained tapestry of his record in business and presidency.

1 hour ago, SquallStrife said:

It's not the pipe dream you might think, many GOP congressmen crossed the floor to indict. Time will tell, I suppose.

Not one crossed the floor to indict Trump. 2 Democrats crossed the floor to vote with Republicans, one abstained and one voted for one charge but not another.

4 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Not one crossed the floor to indict Trump. 2 Democrats crossed the floor to vote with Republicans, one abstained and one voted for one charge but not another.

I misread the article then (or the article got it backwards). My bad

The Democrats are in a lot more danger than Trump. It’s why every time they announce something to do with impeachment, they immediately announce a policy win for him so that the impeachment isn’t used later against them as proof that they did nothing for 4 years other than obstruct and attempt a partisan shakedown.

As a bulk, Democrats don’t hate Trump as Republicans love him. That presents a problem because the country is divided along partisan lines and there’s negligible net support for impeachment.

Edited by Leonid

12 minutes ago, Leonid said:

The Democrats are in a lot more danger than Trump. It’s why every time they announce something to do with impeachment, they immediately announce a policy win for him so that the impeachment isn’t used later against them as proof that they did nothing for 4 years other than obstruct and attempt a partisan shakedown.

As a bulk, Democrats don’t hate Trump as Republicans love him. That presents a problem because the country is divided along partisan lines and there’s negligible net support for impeachment.

When the senate acquits him in January, do you think this sets a precedent that it's perfectly OK to financially pressure foreign leaders to further your election campaign?

Like, the transcript is black and white.

3 minutes ago, SquallStrife said:

When the senate acquits him in January, do you think this sets a precedent that it's perfectly OK to financially pressure foreign leaders to further your election campaign?

Obama: "On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it's important for him to give me space."

Medvedev: "Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you…"

Obama: "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."

Medvedev: "I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir."

Errr, yeah?

C'mon man, you know what I mean.

If somebody did it before, and wasn't impeached over it, then at best it's implicitly OK. This instance is going to a hearing, with a "jury", the result of which will explicitly spell out, in whatever the US Senate's equivalent of Hansard is, that this is OK.

I say "jury" because the "jurors" are partisan politicians with a stake in the outcome. It's impossible for this process to be impartial, regardless of your view on the merit or motive of the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SquallStrife said:

It's impossible for this process to be impartial, regardless of your view on the merit or motive of the case.

Well since various people were talking impeachment pretty much from week one of the POTUS being elected, it's pretty hard to merit this case with credibility really ... ;)

• Like 1