Sign in to follow this  
GTAV6

Intel Core i7-9700 will not go over 1920x1080?

Okay, so I get that my brand new Windows 10 machine is probably detecting HDMI v1.4 cables and a non-4K monitor - but here's the rub... My outgoing seven year old Windows 7 / Intel Core i5-3470 machine happily sent a custom resolution of 2560 x 1440 @ 52Hz to my Dell U2713HM, via my AVR. The new setup required a tiny 3rd party program to create a custom resolution but refuses to allow it to be used, instead returning a Dell error saying the input timing is not supported.

Is this just Intel being too clever, or might there be something I'm missing?

And yes, I now have HDMI v2.0 cables and a Dell U2718Q on order, but that's an annoying high additional expense I was hoping to avoid for a while.

No, tried that on the assumption the AVR is probably only HDMI v1.4, even though my AVR (a Marantz NR1403), does not restrict the output resolution of its HDMI pass-through, unlike a lot of newer models.

Interestingly, even setting a game resolution higher than 1920 x 1080, within the game's own options, makes my monitor go black and spit out the same error message. It must be a Windows 10/newer Intel graphics combination that is refusing high resolutions based on the hardware it detects.

Dell U2713HM Doesn't support 2560x1440 over HDMI you need to use dual link DVI or DP.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dasa said:

Dell U2713HM Doesn't support 2560x1440 over HDMI ...

Indeed... in theory.

And yet, intriguingly, It was handling it beautifully (over HDMI), with my previous PC - after a little skulduggery with the Intel graphics control panel from 7 years ago. Which is what was so frustrating. I had assumed I'd be able to do the same again, but obviously Intel have wised up and repaired whatever it was that let me get away with it before.

Oh well, like I said above, there's a new screen on the way, so it's all kind of moot now anyway.

• Like 1

Yeah a bit like how you can run 4k at ~30hz over older version HDMI the older interface lacks the bandwidth.

Edited by Dasa