Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Let the Fire works Begin !!

Everyone I think,  has a distraction that gives them a laugh, feelings of comfort, or even just a " wow "  moment that can give pause to the endlessness of worry or sadness etc.

Some of the pollies in Adelaide think they could do without the fireworks this year as a sign of respect for all those physically affected from the fires.  There's been a thought to use a lazer show instead.

It should also be stated that some fundraising is to occur for those in need from the havoc of the fires, to go along with the fireworks.

It's so long since I've attended a display that the feeling of being there is a distant memory.

Still I reckon they should hold the display as per usual

It's a bit like having a cold delicious drink at the end of a gruelling day ... it's that moment of cool deliciousness ... even if when the drink is drunk ... the heat returns.

Still the respite was nice, yes ?

Edited by eveln

I don't really get the 'its insensitive' argument that some people have. That's people being offended on behalf of others, and they were probably people who were already anti-fireworks because of pets, public spending or whatever their personal reason for always being a killjoy, they just feel that it's a chance to try and get people onboard by linking their pet hate to a current tragedy.

The cash was spent months ago and the event has been booked and planned. cancel it now, and that is wasted, and some people's lose work and income dependent on it going ahead (food stalls, security workers etc)

If the area has a fire ban on the day, then by all means, cancel it as a safety concern, but to assume that because some people are having a bad time, everyone must be deprived, is poor form.

• Like 1

There was a story on the news that some of the stuff in Wollongong might be cancelled as the stadium could be needed to be used as an evacuation centre for surrounding areas.

"People being offended on behalf of others" - hey, that's one of the foundation stones of political correctness!

Personally, ever since my teens I've thought fireworks display were daft: they cost a packet for the fireworks themselves, let alone the rest of it; they pollute the air with some very funky chemicals, and cause respiratory difficulties for some people (me included); in Australia, at this time of year, you are just asking to burn something down - our trees explode if you look at them nastily, ffs!

Laser show, you can reuse that equipment over and over; no pollution; no fires.  I haven't actually seen a light show worth a damn, but assuming that can be addressed... Yeah, ok.

With all the smoke already present they'd save plenty on not having to generate artificial fog as well.

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

Personally, ever since my teens I've thought fireworks display were daft: they cost a packet for the fireworks themselves, let alone the rest of it; they pollute the air with some very funky chemicals

I feel the same way about the ABC and for much the same reasons.

i have a sentimental love of fireworks, but the air is already pretty crap lately

and the nye sydney display is about as "creative" as mainstream hollywood these days - "ooh, watch us do 6 or 7 locations of exactly the same stuff spread along the harbour"  followed by "ooh, harbour bridge golden shower"  and  " ooh , vertical blasts above the bridge arch"

that was clever the first time, and then it was old - novelty demands novel items as a matter of course

lasers - yep, that could work

paint the bridge and buildings with light like vivid; check, that would be pretty clever

have a squadron of drones with multicolour leds simulate a big explosion - awesome !  do it repeatedly and differently and colour me impressed

shit, even having the length of the harbour add some dynamics to the display would be a help - it s so  repetitive every year to simply have the same displays blast off simultaneously along he waterway, rather than crescendo from either end as part of a countdown and peak at the bridge on the stroke of midnight to start the event

and then there's the dreary "word of the year" revealed on the arch because... fucked if i know, someone did it once and now it's a permanent "thing"

and only on the eastern side of the arch because... westies don't deserve a harbour ?

if they unexpectedly blasted some light and colour from virginal "remote" locations across the city - say the top of sydney tower (or westfield, or whatever it's called currently), off the opera house, on the skyline at north sydney, on pinchgut... wow !  that would be interesting

how (and why) people suffer a day waiting in the heat to watch 15 minutes at most of a predictable detonation of ~ $6m is beyond comprehension, or worse, spend several hundred on a ticket to what on any other day is public space

as it stands, easier to stagger down to manly cove at 9pm and see a predictable and quite entertaining 20 minutes worth close up and personal, and have a sedate 15 minutes walk home, to nod off before midnight

• Like 1

I've not seen the real big ones in person but it's all become a bit samey.

You'd reckon thanks to modern drone tech that we might be able to do mobile lasers as in airborne ones.

Or something.

Ahh but you sound so jaded scruffy1. Nevermind. I've not heard anything about Sydney's NYE ... must be all a bit tricky for the organisers what with the smoke already a major health hazard.

Not sure what's going on with Adelaide. Regardless I reckon not everyone always goes to every display, and maybe some might choose to do so, merely for the diversion of their normal routine, *shrugs *

not jaded, rather more critical of repetition - especially for $6 million

let's see them do this and i'll applaud

drones are impressive, but I reckon they'd have a different set of issues to deal with. Granted, no smoke, but um crashes or dropping out of the sky cos um shit happens, etc.

Have to wonder - is the movement preprogrammed into each one or is it control on the fly through some wifi datastream or similar.  Datastream probably too risky since it might be jammed or overridden.

i expect they have a set of co-ordinates to occupy, and a sub-routine to employ from each "home" position

having followed the tech for quite some time, there is a lot of autonomous capability that is based on relative distance to each other, and the task designated

as for safety - if it's over the harbour then it's no more problematic than when one of their ballistics goes astray due to wind or malfunction... i remember parking just south of brookvale oval during a display and being repeatedly showered by debris that was the casings for the fireworks - shit that normally ends up in the harbour no doubt for the nye display that gets televised

the benefit of drones is that they can repeat anything they have programmed, and have that made more complex with time; that, and they are pretty much infinitely re-usable after the initial investment, apart from the inconvenience of charging  and storing 500 lipos not long before use

i bet you $6m would buy a lot - in fact for 500 that's a budget of $12k per drone, or more realistically, $2k per drone and $5m for incidentals

Edited by scruffy1