Sign in to follow this  
LogicprObe

Where does all the coolant go?

Now, I've had this water cooling system for years but I have to top it up every 3 to 6 months, more in summer and it's a pain in the arse.

Where does it go?

There are no visible leaks.........or does it leak out of the joins one molecule at a time?

Posted (edited)

I had a leak around a fitting but couldn't find it until I used colored coolant.  Might be small leak that is drying from fans being on.   Use something that will contrast well or uv with blacklight? 

Edited by gamble
  • Like 1

How large is the res and how much tubing?

A small amount will always evaporate through the tubes especially if it is a fairly thin wall.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gamble said:

I had a leak around a fitting but couldn't find it until I used colored coolant.  Might be small leak that is drying from fans being on.   Use something that will contrast well or uv with blacklight? 

I use that green UV stuff......................it turns brown when you boil it!.............LOL!

Can't see a leak anywhere.

10 hours ago, Dasa said:

How large is the res and how much tubing?

A small amount will always evaporate through the tubes especially if it is a fairly thin wall.

The res is only like 100ml..........tubes about 250mm each way.

All factory fitted clamps etc.

It did seem to run down quicker with the fan on the radiator but due to noise I removed the fan as it was only making a couple of degrees difference.

I don't O/C and the hardest it works might be to do transfers around the network while doing some video or audio conversions.

If there is no visible UV bright spots I think it is probably just the small res combined with the large amount of tubing which may be a type which allows the fluid to pass through it more easily than others.

If you've used multi walled rubber tubing (like fuel hose) then.....dunno....

If you have Silicone tubing, silicone is very porous, and it'll slowly seep through.

Car radiators see the same thing when you 'upgrade' to silicone hoses.

Edited by Master_Scythe