Sign in to follow this  
Leonid

Trump makes good on a threat

Soleimani is the second-most-powerful man in Iran right after the Supreme Goatfucker himself.

Heh,

The report says he was attacked and killed at Baghdad airport - question - what the hell was he doing there !?!

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Heh,

The report says he was attacked and killed at Baghdad airport - question - what the hell was he doing there !?!

Cheers

Visiting his Shia friends in Iraq?

Hmm.

I really do not know, the story seems incredibly full of holes - for a start I'm trying to visualise an attack helicopter making a firing run on what is in the end a domestic airport, even in the early morning hours.

One report is calling it a "game changer" - too right, Trump might as well just declare war on Iran and be done with it - that or just get the hell out of there.

The most likely outcome is going to be an increase in terror attacks on Israel, at least in the short term, plus a hardening of lines in Iraq itself which does not augur well for the already very fragile peace in the country.

I dunno - perhaps s/he or someone in a high place thinks progressively decapitating the enemy's leaders is a good idea, mostly it's not, not until you can isolate them and cut their organisation out from under them which is not going to happen in this situation. All that will happen is some other fanatic will take over and go looking for retaliation.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, chrisg said:

The most likely outcome is going to be an increase in terror attacks on Israel, at least in the short term, plus a hardening of lines in Iraq itself which does not augur well for the already very fragile peace in the country.

Good. That gives Israel all the ammo it needs to finally terminate hope of another Arab colony on non-Arab land.

It is 2020. Israel is a rocking economy, stupidly powerful and unencumbered by leftists who have largely shut up after the disaster of Oslo and Gaza.

If Iran wants a proxy war, Trump’s just authorised Israel for direct action. And you know the Saudis are itchy too.

12 minutes ago, chrisg said:

All that will happen is some other fanatic will take over and go looking for retaliation.

Who?

Seriously, who?

Soleimani has been the only man Iran has used over the last decade. He has no successor, no peer.

Edited by Leonid

Hang on Leo, I really do not think Israel needs to go looking for trouble, it would be nice to be a little more safe.

Proxy wars with Saudi as an ally ? Fuck that.

Israel can, if it has to, keep the Arabs well away from its borders but it cannot stop the damned terrorists and Iran is busy backing them. Unfortunately a war with Iran is a logistical and strategic nightmare. It is far, far better to work on overthrowing the theocracy from within, which is starting to happen, from what little news leaks out of what was once a lovely country that they have turned into a hell-hole.

The economy  of Israel rocks for a number of reasons, not least huge investment in cutting edge high-tech development but without the massive subsidies that the US inputs annually to the armed forces and their equipment it would be a very different story.

I have no idea who but shit always rises to the surface, someone will be filling his shoes very shortly.

Cheers

Just now, chrisg said:

Hang on Leo, I really do not think Israel needs to go looking for trouble, it would be nice to be a little more safe.

We haven’t been safe for 2000 years.

What’s another 2 or 3 to mop up the mess?

1 minute ago, chrisg said:

Proxy wars with Saudi as an ally ? Fuck that.

You don’t need Saudi as an ally to have Saudi attack Iran. Just a confluence of interests.

I could well be very wrong but I doubt Saudi will attack Iran, they might host the US in a quasi-repeat of GW1 & 2 but a direct attack I very much doubt.

Israel has fought long and hard to get relative peace - if you can call still wondering about terrorists and seeing Iron Dome deal with incoming quite often, picking a fight with Iran is not necessary and geographically unwise. Let others deal with it, quite possibly from within.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, chrisg said:

but without the massive subsidies that the US inputs annually to the armed forces and their equipment it would be a very different story.

US AID to Israel is about 1% of Israel’s GDP. Israel signed EastMed today with Greece and Cyprus to deliver gas to Europe, making Israel a new energy superpower:

America’s money is appreciated but not required.

Yes, I saw the gas news, very welcome.

I think you are under estimating how much the US inputs, even with their contribution the IDF is having to decide if i wants more F-35s or more F-15s, it cannot afford both. 

Currently it is in the process of standing up two -35 squadrons and would very much like a third but by the same token the -35 is a bit short on endurance making the -15 pretty much equally attractive. Currently they have about 60 of them and they seem to recognise that there is a lot of growth in the airframe that has not really been exploited simply because it was so good to begin with. The possibility of an updated Eagle cannot be overlooked, especially as they don't seem to care too much about the stealth aspect of the -35, been operating it over Syria mainly in Beast mode  with external ordinance.

The -16 is of course the work horse, over 200 of them but additional orders are less likely.

Cheers

They can afford both. Don’t mistake IDF budget allocation and affordability.

🙂

We'll have to see, Netanyahu has a few other things on his mind just now and the reality is they quite possibly do not need more -35s whereas Eagles better fit the IDF mission.

Cheers

16 hours ago, chrisg said:

for a start I'm trying to visualise an attack helicopter making a firing run on what is in the end a domestic airport, even in the early morning hours.

Latest news report I have heard has changed that to a drone attack which makes a hell of a lot more sense than a manned heli.

Yeah, it does, media making things up again...

Cheers

i would have thought a short range laser guided rocket would be the win

drones are too loud and slow to carry enough ordinance to take out what would obviously be a hardened vehicle

Not so much.

A Reaper drone can orbit all day at 50,000 feet pretty much invisible and well out of hearing range  but holding a gyro stabilised tv camera on a target until it is committed to launch a laser guided Hellfire missile which is simply not going to miss. A reaper can typically carry four of them.

It has been the commonest weapon in use by the "chairforce" since 2007.

Cheers

20 hours ago, Leonid said:

Good. That gives Israel all the ammo it needs to finally terminate hope of another Arab colony on non-Arab land.

It is 2020. Israel is a rocking economy, stupidly powerful and unencumbered by leftists who have largely shut up after the disaster of Oslo and Gaza.

If Iran wants a proxy war, Trump’s just authorised Israel for direct action. And you know the Saudis are itchy too.

Who?

Seriously, who?

Soleimani has been the only man Iran has used over the last decade. He has no successor, no peer.

Hey Leo  ??

Maj. Gen. Esmail Ghaani, That didn't take long. He has a rather slim file but he's been senior in Iranian military circles for a long time.

Like I said, endless shit available....

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Not so much.

A Reaper drone can orbit all day at 50,000 feet pretty much invisible and well out of hearing range  but holding a gyro stabilised tv camera on a target until it is committed to launch a laser guided Hellfire missile which is simply not going to miss. A reaper can typically carry four of them.

It has been the commonest weapon in use by the "chairforce" since 2007.

Cheers

my misinterpretation

to me a drone is a quadcopter

a reaper is a uav, but i see the point, and it's essentially what i thought

🙂

UAV really does equal drone by most any definition at core but I get your point. Actually it's easiest to think of the Reaper as a UCAV, it's one deadly beast whereas drones for amusement or commercial use are essentially peaceful until they get in the way of a jet.

It's astonishing sometimes how quickly they have become a commonplace in or lives, one flew around here today and no-one seemed to take much notice.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Maj. Gen. Esmail Ghaani, That didn't take long. He has a rather slim file

He's a nobody.

19 minutes ago, Leonid said:

He's a nobody.

whereas his predecessor is a body

Not a nobody at all, just had a very low profile.

You seem to think this assassination is a good thing - it's not - Trump is playing high stakes poker from a short deck, he really has no fucking clue what he is doing.

I don't dispute that the guy was evil and that he had designs upon killing Americans but taking him out in Iraq is just plain stupid.

Iraq is now perfectly within its rights to tell America to fuck off from their territory and if they do not then the relationship goes in the toilet. Meanwhile he has antagonised just about every supposed ally he has in Europe by not at least letting them know he was calling a strike - one they would have suggested he not do on Iraqi soil. Take him out in Syria, where apparently he spent a deal of time, very different story, but the arch moron, running things from his fucking golf course listening not at all to his advisors just had to make a splash in a country he was supposed to be assisting to get normalised.

You need to wake up to yourself, Iraq and Iran and not going to go away, Israel will stay at risk of their terror activities so long as the grudge is there and it goes back centuries, there is no easy answer but knocking off evil people in the worst possible place is way beyond dumb.

Iran is only going to change through revolution, that has to come from within, killing high profile members of their military does not encourage a successful revolution, it just put it back a decade. Iraq is similar, this has only antagonised them when they were beginning to cool down.

Stupid, stupid, stupid - but what else can be expected of the clusterfuck running America ?

Cheers

• Like 1

I trust Trump in military matters more than I trust you. He has more hours in military vehicles than you do 🙂

• Like 1