Sign in to follow this  
Nich...

dead PC? post about it on atomic

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Nichers/saved/FCD4dC

If it'll act as/get retired to a home server, may as well throw some stuff at it, I guess, and make life easier down the track.

If it was just for my desktop, I'd like to think I'd have gone with the x570 aorus pro wifi, but I may have just gone for something rather cheaper and a 3600 🤷‍♀️

Corsair RM X is a better quality PSU with a longer warranty which probably makes it worth the extra.

I believe the Superflower to be a better value PSU and that the only difference you may ever notice between them is the lower noise of the Superflower but I could be wrong.

Also the part list is private.

1 hour ago, Dasa said:

Also the part list is private.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/KFwp3t

Didn't realise it defaulted to private, sorry -_-

And yeah, the EMI peak on the superflower is weird, but it still got a good review.  Figured I may as well go for the better PSU seeing as it'll literally be running 24/7 for most of the next 5-10 years.

Also ordered myself an MP510 medium mouse pad to replace this '3m precise mousing surface' that I may have had since the late '90s/early '00s, because all it wants to do now is slide over the desk and out from under my hand/mouse, as a reward for taking 4 days to get this done -_-

I'm surprised that any parts nerds get a build done.

Too many decisions!

In my last build, they didn't make the card I wanted anymore so I ordered the next one I wanted and it went to back order for quite some time and then a better one came out!

Wahhhhhh!!!!

Sweet jesus there are some fucking tight corners, plugging in the cables once the board and HSF is installed.

I kind of wish the PSU shroud was removable rather than riveted in, so I can plug the power cables into the PSU last, rather than first.  I'm pretty sure they're all tangled up now, and point one above is not making me feel like starting again now I'm happy with where I want cables going.

Anyway, I have the basics plugged in, I think.  Just grabbing something to run overnight (hah, I assume it'll take longer than that with 32GB of RAM) testing memory before I power it up and see if it POSTs ok.

So you have everything now?  Which board and psu you go with?  Have fun!

2 hours ago, gamble said:

So you have everything now?  Which board and psu you go with?  Have fun!

Asus rog strix x570-e and the corsair hx750.

The bios is... Weird. I mean I haven't seen any newer than 6 yrs old, but also my last amd bios would have been pre-uefi, on my 2600xp. Had to google to work out how to enable xmp profiles 😅

Hopefully when I wake up it looks all good and I can start plugging in drives and seeing how windows handles new guts.

Windows never likes new guts.

It seems a bit anal about old drivers and wants to use them over the new ones.

When you get up and running, strip all the stuff you need from the SSD and do a freshie.

• Thanks 1

Haha yeah windows is unhappy with the wrong hal. Ram looks ok tho, so time to refresh after this bios update finishes.

• Like 1

Actually haven't had to repair windows yet. Impressive. See how long that lasts tho.

• Like 1

Some pics of how messy it is.  TBH I expected more room in the case - I went with a nanoxis deep silence 4 in my last build to cut down on size, and all it did was make it cramped for the GPU.  This has lots of space foe each element, but at the same time... in front of the PSU/under the drive bays is a mess, so IDK if I'll actually end up getting a 120mm fan to put down there (I wanted something to add some ventilation to the PSU and GPU).  I can't tell if the PSU shroud is so warm because the PSU has it's fan curve set low, or if the GPU is blowing warm air straight at it.  Really appreciated extra room behind the motherboard for cable routing and etc.  Speaking of behind the motherboard and warm, I don't feel great having the two SSDs sitting back there with no real air, but also I'm not sure if it's actually warmer than where they'd mount above the PSU otherwise, at this point.

The case overall, closed, seems relatively quiet.  The fans are still audible, but also I haven't played with the fan curves manually. 

Q-led is a godsend for impatient lil' ol' me.

There's a bunch of BIOS settings I'm having to google to figure out WTF they do, but also some that seem to be missing (like some variant of speedstep/quite'n'cool, so it's basically not idling at 200W).

Also, with trying to keep the cables relatively tidy: I felt like the HDDs were too messy but wasn't sure what else to do; having to plug PSU cables in before mounting it because shroud blocks most easy access was a right PITA; most of the included cables were of decent lengths, but the PWM cable from the fanbus to the motherboard was too short to snake over to the actual chassis fan header; USB-c front cable felt too short, I had to run it directly across and not route it with the other front panel cables; caps in cables are annoying but mostly fine, the real issue was just so little space to work in, once the HSF was mounted and the motherboard was screwed in;

2020-01-10 17.12.21.jpg

2020-01-10 17.12.28.jpg

2020-01-10 17.12.43.jpg

2020-01-10 17.14.25.jpg

2020-01-10 17.14.28.jpg

2020-01-10 17.14.33.jpg

2020-01-10 17.14.45.jpg

2020-01-10 17.21.03.jpg

• Like 3

That's a lotta shit in a small case...............I did that at first..................and then went to the biggest!

I can hardly lift the bastard and I've taken six drives out!

Let's hope Windows Update doesn't fuck it!

4 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

That's a lotta shit in a small case...............I did that at first..................and then went to the biggest!

That's not a small case! 

Also, windows activation fun.  Not picking up my licence from my MS account I sign in with.  Thankfully I don't throw shit away, and it accepted my old Win7 licence key.

I reckon I'll probably just let it chug along on this install until something really breaks hard, or I drop some NVME in and have to reinstall anyway.

Bah!

Those giant Noctuas are the best!..............although.........................I still tried liquid.............which is noisier!

1 hour ago, gamble said:

Who cares what is behind it all with the cables and such 🙂

Thanks!  I care because a lot of the impetus for cable tidying is to have them be tidy, not just messy and out of sight and out of fan paths *twitch* xD

1 hour ago, gamble said:

Colour me keen, but also, a) in my head adata are the company that produce discount cables and plugs and adaptors, and b) I don't even know what I'd do with a drive like that.  Boot device or games drive?  Boot device with a big chunk for virtual memory and temporary data storage/downloads?

Nice to make use of the server aspects of the build, but also I only have the house wired and switched for gigabitethernet, so I need to work out if I can plug the 2.5gE NIC in and team it with the 1gE port so I can take multiple data streams to try and make use of that diskthroughput  D :

• Like 2

Starting to fiddle with the qfan settings in bios.  The default fan curve had the CPU fan spinning up and down too much, which was too noticable.

Dropped to a custom profile and see how it goes 🤷‍♀️  Given the settings available in the BIOS, I'm a little concerned that the secondary fan header I'm using for the fan bus is tied do the primary CPU fan header as far as data and addressing: but when setting CPU fan to 100% to test how loud it is (loud, but probably less than the GPU fans when screaming), I don't think the case fans sped up too, so hmm, more tinkering.

Secondary fan header usually is tied the the primary control.

I would use them for the CPU fans and the system headers to control the case fans or hub.

The fan hub cable isn't long enough to reach anything other than CPU fan headers - it's primary design I think is to plug into there, and then have any/all CPU fans running from the bus.  I might look at getting in a PWN extension cable so it can reach to the chassis fan headers, and I can desync the front case fans from the HSF ones.

Trying to work out why one of my HDDs makes an access sound every ~10 seconds. Nothing obvious in task manager, nothing obvious in perfmon. Grab diskmon from the sysinternals page, and... it pretty much stops. If I close diskmon it comes back, but open diskmon again and after a minute or so it stops again.

So that's weird, but on top of that, diskmon is meant to be looking at disk access from a fairly low level. It doesn't really attribute what's writing to the disk, and I don't care at this point. The weirder thing, is that it shows nothing. I see stuff accessing my two SSDs - boot/system/windows and steam/games/etc, but that's it. Open explorer and dig into a HDD, and I see that drive ID scroll past. But that's it.

I guess it's time to go and hot unplug each HDD one by one. Because I don't want to hear a disk not being accessed, sitting there making periodic noises as if it is. Even if SMART checks out as fine.

Oh right I can't eject them because 'they're currently in use.  close any programs using them and try again'

haha good one windows.

haha, fuck you windows, I can set them to offline in disk manager.

Yeah, I can't tell any more than it's one of the ironwolf drives: the 6 and 10tb both vibrate when I hear the noise.  Unplugging the 8tb archives doesn't stop the noise. 

Hoping it's just shit accessing them and not signs of deathstar type noises 🤷‍♀️

It's nice to see fairly low global CPU usage with games and firefox and a dozen python servlets all running at once, tho'.

Next week when I have more time/energy I might try playing more with manual PBO settings, and tightening up RAM manually and seeing what max clock I can get.  I had a quick peek today in the bios, after running DRAM calculator, but couldn't find all of the suggested values to set.